News   Jul 12, 2024
 1K     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 942     1 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 359     0 

GO Transit: Construction Projects (Metrolinx, various)

I took the train to Guelph yesterday. There is significant activity west of Georgetown to extend the Guelph sub. Phone is dead, I will have to upload pics later. But in summary, they have started re-bar and moulds for the new McNabb St overpass structure, and driven piles to support a widened berm west of that.

Also, there are stacks of new ties in Guelph and Acton. Passed a bunch of CN track work equipment at the Acton siding too. Not sure if this is replacing ties on the current track, or in prep for a second track. Lack of other disturbance suggest the former.

I took the train to Guelph yesterday. There is significant activity west of Georgetown to extend the Guelph sub. Phone is dead, I will have to upload pics later. But in summary, they have started re-bar and moulds for the new McNabb St overpass structure, and driven piles to support a widened berm west of that.

Also, there are stacks of new ties in Guelph and Acton. Passed a bunch of CN track work equipment at the Acton siding too. Not sure if this is replacing ties on the current track, or in prep for a second track. Lack of other disturbance suggest the former.

Does GO/Metrolinx have a website detailing all the projects that they are undertaking? From what I understand they don't really. For example, there is nothing online about the new GO Transit Control Centre in Oakville. One would think that promoting such construction projects/improvments (including the work mentioned above) would just be good PR.

Does GO/Metrolinx have a website detailing all the projects that they are undertaking? From what I understand they don't really. For example, there is nothing online about the new GO Transit Control Centre in Oakville. One would think that promoting such construction projects/improvments (including the work mentioned above) would just be good PR.

It's appallingly hit and miss. They have a web page at http://www.gotransit.com/public/en/improve/projects/Default.aspx
But it is not comprehensive.

The reporting at Board meetings is no more helpful.

- Paul

I know that electrification is suppose to be finished at around 2025 but the far more important question is, when will construction of electrification begin?

Seems to me that this would be a great time to get the feds involved. Trudeau has stated he wants the first phase of infrastructure funds to go towards maintenance and up grades with the second phase on new projects. Makes sense as upgrades/maintenance don't need {or need very little} environmental and community reviews. It also means plans are usually completed and all that it's waiting for is money and the tenders can go out immediately.

This seems ideal for electrification infrastructure and grade separations especially in areas that are not technically difficult and would have little community push back as most communities are eager to get rid of their level rail crossings.

If Ottawa was to write a cheque tomorrow, how fast could construction start and even if they don't and it uses just Wynne money, when is electrification construction set to begin?

I know that electrification is suppose to be finished at around 2025 but the far more important question is, when will construction of electrification begin?
Exactly! It seems that Metrolinx are frozen in the headlights, especially after the UPX debacle. We all know that electrification and transition of the corridors to support RER can't happen overnight, but why not make a start on the most apt leg for it? And that appears to be the Bramalea to Union one, not the least due to the need of repurposing the UPX. It's precisely because of the long time to build that many of us are eager to see some sign of its starting now.

In lieu of that, then an interim solution (most likely DMU) to supplement the present UPX fleet to allow an RER service to Bramalea, the present Nippon Sharyos evidently showing numerous mechanical and technical problems, not to mention the cost to increase the fleet with same units.

Edit to Add: Your comments on (gist) 'Ottawa poised with cash' is an essential point. On one hand, "don't want to be fooled again" pertains as that relates to false hopes and starts, but on the other...at least *some indication of enthusiasm" is not only apt, it's helpful. Being the same party should add impetus to this, let's be serious, this is as much optics as it is altruism, but *all the more reason* for the present Queen's Park and Metrolinx regime to embrace and *nurture* this opportunity. And so far....silence.

Last edited:
Great to hear of the progress at Georgetown. Look forward to seeing the pictures.

Pictures at Georgetown, as promised. Apologies for quality, through coach window on a gloomy evening.

T4Cdb8P.jpg

Immediately west of Georgetown Yard.

6NoTzre.jpg

Structure over McNabb St (east side).

862RJRt.jpg

Original McNabb tunnel.

VJwdWoh.jpg

Structure over McNabb St (west side).

GHOr57G.jpg

Piles driven along south end of marsh, north side of berm.

br4p1oH.jpg

Culvert for whatever watercourse this is.

RE: Your "Original McNabb Tunnel" (excellent pics btw):

History uncovered in Georgetown
Thu., May 14, 2015

John_St._culvert___Gallery.jpg

History revealed | Photo courtesy of Pat Farley, president of the Halton Hills branch of the Architectural Conservancy of Ontario

For the first time in decades the 1853 John Street Culvert can be seen in all its glory.

The brush was cleared by CN Rail/Metrolinx workers for the current construction project, from the Georgetown GO station to Temple Rd. that includes: expanding the McNabb St. bridge, extending the Silver Creek culvert, constructing a retaining wall along the track, and building a third mainline track. Regular maintenance work will also be done at the same time. The improvements are intended to increase service reliability and lead to two-way all-day GO train service by 2022.

http://m.theifp.ca/community-story/5628706-history-uncovered-in-georgetown

More on the John St culvert and pics:
http://www.thegeorgetownvault.com/salute-to-the-john-street-culvert-2015---beep-beep.html

Last edited:
I was back in Oakville today, so I snapped some pictures of the now under construction GO Transit Control Centre from the top floor of the GO parking garage.

12973021_10209117293787485_7739740242288433400_o.jpg

Looking south-east over the site at the intersection of Trafalgar and Cornwall. ^
12977289_10209117293627481_6946669014061519942_o.jpg

The building across the road is a high-end seniors home. I'm sure they're going to love the construction. ^
12984056_10209117293707483_4597699361997049773_o.jpg

http://www.durhamregion.com/news-st...cts-go-train-announcement-from-province-soon/

CZ_GOStudyGranville___Gallery.jpg

CLARINGTON - Oshawa may be the end of the line for many GO train riders, but for Clarington commuters like Liberal Durham MPP Granville Anderson, it is just one of the hurdles to getting home at the end of a long work day.

The dream of extending the GO train’s Lakeshore East line through central Oshawa into Courtice and Bowmanville may soon turn into reality.

Mr. Anderson said he expects an announcement in the next few weeks from the provincial Liberal government.

“It will happen. This was the only election promise I made,” said Mr. Anderson, after hearing the results of a study showing the potential economic impact of an extension for Durham Region on April 8 at a news conference at Durham College’s Whitby campus.

The analysis suggests the project has the potential to generate $1.1 billion in transit-oriented, walkable urban development that would enable job creation (upwards of 21,000 permanent new jobs), the construction of 6,000 new homes and reduce the amount of CO2 emissions significantly.

“People will get to spend more time with their families if this project is passed,” said Mr. Anderson.

He’s not only eager as a politician to have the project approved but as a commuter as well.

Mr. Anderson travels on the GO train regularly to get to Toronto for question period at Queen’s Park.

“Being late is a reality for commuters,” something he said he can relate with, he said.

Mr. Anderson said he’s had to explain his tardiness on a couple of occasions to fellow MPPs.

“The fact is when you take the GO train there is traffic just getting to the station and then there’s limited parking in Oshawa and Whitby.”

The proposed extension would add four new GO stations: a new station north of Hwy. 401 on Thornton Road South, one just south of downtown Oshawa, one in Courtice, and one in Bowmanville.

Looks like electing a Liberal MPP for the first time in 40 years is paying off for Durham.

Interesting suggestion from the Clarington Mayor about building the parking lots and running shuttle buses even before the trains are operating. That would at least slightly reduce the parking crunch at Oshawa and Whitby, and would help form some of the travel patterns that passengers will likely be using when the train service does come.

Also, from a service perspective, this does quite well to mirror what will be happening in Hamilton in the west. RER will run to Burlington and Oshawa, but AD2W express trains could run a few stations further out from those terminus points. Having both RER and AD2W trains both terminating at Oshawa makes the latter kind of redundant.

Aldershot-Oshawa for electrification, and Stoney Creek to Bowmanville for the hourly AD2W diesels. Balance LSE/LSW a little more symmetrically if both extends out simultaneously.

At least until VIA HFR electrifies to Toronto. And RER Phase II electrifies through Hamilton. So we might just be running electric RER expresses within twenty years.

There's been lots of talk behind the scenes in recent months. VIA HFR is apparently wanting to electrify right of the gate in the HFR buildout, so we might see VIA electrified by end of 2020s between Toronto and Ottawa.

...Now we need to talk about compatible voltages, gauge, catenary height, signalling systems (CBTC is currently Metrolinx's plan), especially on shared sections, who will own what track east of Oshawa, etc.

Assuming the electrification momentum doesn't die down, of course.

Interesting suggestion from the Clarington Mayor about building the parking lots and running shuttle buses even before the trains are operating. That would at least slightly reduce the parking crunch at Oshawa and Whitby, and would help form some of the travel patterns that passengers will likely be using when the train service does come.

Have we heard when the 407 extension is to be opened? It was almost ready last fall, but winter's arrival stopped the last bit of work. I'd expect there will be an announcement or opening ceremony on that front shortly.

I'm a bit skeptical that MPP Anderson and the Mayor may have a whiff of announcements for the next phase, and are trying to stir the pot to make a vague promise more concrete. The shuttle bus suggestion is a bit of a Butch and Sundance play, forces GO to a point of no retreat. We know just how long this government can stretch out a promise without doing anything.

- Paul

Aldershot-Oshawa for electrification, and Stoney Creek to Bowmanville for the hourly AD2W diesels. Balance LSE/LSW a little more symmetrically if both extends out simultaneously.

What is the value in balancing it symetrically? I would imagine that the population of people/potential riders between Aldershot and Stoney Creek is significantly higher than from Oshawa to Bowmanville?

Back