News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.2K     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 1K     1 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 381     0 

GO Transit: Construction Projects (Metrolinx, various)

Peterborough over Kingston and Belleville? That's not going to happen.
:: nods ::
And I am in Peterborough and see that track every day. Level crossings all through downtown Peterborough. A very scenic stretch through East City with a wooden bridge over the track, and then a level crossing of Maria St at about a 15-degree angle. Right now, it's quiet, rustic, with infrequent slow freight trains coming from the mine to the east, and even more infrequent freight service to Quaker Oats (a division of PepsiCo).

It would have to be completely rebuilt. Not to say that there is no more track east of Havelock until probably Carleton Place.

March 3
Only 2 people working on the flashing at Bronte and no one at Burlington.

Steel has been place for the walkway roof, but missing it for the tunnel stairwell. More steel has gone up for the roof over the parking lot walkway. Other than that, still in the same shape as 9 months ago with no elevators yet nor the service counters open.

Was told that the Condo Crash wall next door thanks to Metrolinx is costing $1 Million more than it should.
24858949813_067b8c30a4_b.jpg

25392829781_dd67afd176_b.jpg

25366900072_71070c9f1a_b.jpg

25392834981_6ed574f422_b.jpg

25459206906_1557f316f9_b.jpg

25459208936_8d6795b833_b.jpg

25189753290_f10de446aa_b.jpg

They have started to work on the piles for north footings of the Hamilton Rail Junction bridge expansion.

image.jpeg

Photographed at the Hamilton Junction on my morning commute.

(The location of the bridge is directly behind this pile driver)

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 721
:: nods ::
And I am in Peterborough and see that track every day. Level crossings all through downtown Peterborough. A very scenic stretch through East City with a wooden bridge over the track, and then a level crossing of Maria St at about a 15-degree angle. Right now, it's quiet, rustic, with infrequent slow freight trains coming from the mine to the east, and even more infrequent freight service to Quaker Oats (a division of PepsiCo).

It would have to be completely rebuilt. Not to say that there is no more track east of Havelock until probably Carleton Place.

Glen Tay, just east of Perth, where the former Havelock Sub corridor meets the CP Belleville Sub. Carleton Place doesn't even have any rails anymore, now that CP abandoned its old transcontinental mainline through the Ottawa Valley.

I'm not sure that the guys who open and close the CP's swing bridge over the Trent in Peterboro could keep up with HFR.

- Paul

Trent 8.jpg

Attachments

• Trent 8.jpg
    Trent 8.jpg
    876.7 KB · Views: 656
Yeah, I've stood on the bank of the canal watching them open and close that bridge. It is ...leisurely. Still, pretty amazing that something that big can move on, apparently, muscle power.

There is a small electric motor - that's the thing beside the crank - but it only assists the effort. The guy has to get the bridge started (several times around the circle) and then the motor will sustain the momentum.

- Paul

Yeah, I've stood on the bank of the canal watching them open and close that bridge. It is ...leisurely. Still, pretty amazing that something that big can move on, apparently, muscle power.

There is a small electric motor - that's the thing beside the crank - but it only assists the effort. The guy has to get the bridge started (several times around the circle) and then the motor will sustain the momentum.

- Paul
If it's properly balanced it should be pretty easy to move like the manual turn table they have at greenfield village at the henry ford outside of detroit. They sometimes do demonstrations and have kids turn it.

I think I saw when going up the 404 GO Trains parked at the new Bloomingdale Sideroad layover facility. Is it done and when does the station open?

I think I saw when going up the 404 GO Trains parked at the new Bloomingdale Sideroad layover facility. Is it done and when does the station open?

The layover facility is actually at Bethesda Rd. It opened several months ago, I believe.

The new stations are 1) Gormley GO Station at Stouffville Rd., supposed to open in about a year (I think it was pushed to early 2017 from late 2016, recently), and 2) Bloomington GO Station at Bloomington Rd., supposed to open in 2017-2018 I believe. You probably saw the trains at the Bethesda layover facility, not at the Bloomington GO site (which is barely under construction at all yet).

The layover facility is actually at Bethesda Rd. It opened several months ago, I believe.

The new stations are 1) Gormley GO Station at Stouffville Rd., supposed to open in about a year (I think it was pushed to early 2017 from late 2016, recently), and 2) Bloomington GO Station at Bloomington Rd., supposed to open in 2017-2018 I believe. You probably saw the trains at the Bethesda layover facility, not at the Bloomington GO site (which is barely under construction at all yet).

Thanks!

March 12
From the looks of things, Metrolinx maybe looking at putting a 5th track in the corridor with the relocation of the south fence to the south. The new yard slowing taking shape.

If I 'm not mistaken, a new yard track has been added to the main yard on the south side.
25473947800_05eb6b2230_b.jpg

25148040193_d3fea79d83_b.jpg

March 12
From the looks of things, Metrolinx maybe looking at putting a 5th track in the corridor with the relocation of the south fence to the south. The new yard slowing taking shape.

If I 'm not mistaken, a new yard track has been added to the main yard on the south side.

What are they going to be using those tracks on the south side for? More storage?

There was mention of that in the capital report at the ML Board meeting a meeting or two back.

It's a new GO storage yard, not addition mainline trackage (yet, anyways).

We seem to just keep buying more GO trains instead of creating turnback capacity so each trainset does double duty. RER will change that eventually. I wonder what the planned lifespan of the bilevels are. The oldest cars in the fleet will be 40 years old soon. That's impressive, but they won't last forever.

- Paul

We seem to just keep buying more GO trains instead of creating turnback capacity so each trainset does double duty. RER will change that eventually. I wonder what the planned lifespan of the bilevels are. The oldest cars in the fleet will be 40 years old soon. That's impressive, but they won't last forever.
- Paul
I predict up to 60 years for individual coaches, and 100 years for the model (still being manufactured today). Not necessarily with GO.

For GO, I see bilevels used well into the 2030s, and very probably 2040s+.
Alongside an expanding-fleet of EMUs, too. We still have lots of electrification longshots:
- Niagara
- Hamilton
- Richmond Hill
- Kitchener-Waterloo

Nearly all coaches manufactured in 1978 are still in use today! Almost none has been retired at all. They are in demand by other North American commuter railroads, any retired coach is promptly snapped up and refurbished. I see no reason why the newer coaches could last elsewhere in North America till the 2060s or even 2070s. (I'd even bet my mortgage on it)

In fact, GO's oldest bilevel (formerly #2001), manufactured in ~1977, is still in service in Utah's FrontRunner commuter train service! (GO sold some coaches to them during the GO cutbacks, IIRC). In fact, I am almost completely unable to find a single specimen of a permanently retired Bombardier BiLevel that's not because of some accident or catastrophic damage.

They are still being manufactured in the factory today for Metrolinx (particularly the new cabs, but also coaches). There are also recently manufactured non-cab coaches only a few years old, too.

The oldest coaches presumably would be sold off first, but there are many coaches manufactured just this year (the new cabs). Also, despite electrification GO plans to refurbish the coaches with new seating at something like 2 coaches a month, and they said it would take more than 15 years to finish installing the new interiors/seats into their oldest coaches. That places GO's last planned refurbishment of a Bombardier Bilevel into the early half of 2030s, whereupon it can easily last into the 2040s or 2050s if necessary.

After a good EMU deployment, they may eventually sell some bilevel consists but not all of them... Niagara (www.niagarago.ca is going to come by the end of the decade) is probably not going to be electrified for decades. Neither will Richmond Hill, and it will not be till at least mid 2030s before Hamilton gets electrified.

Worse comes to worse, I can easily see the new cabs and the newer coaches being used till the 2050s on many North American commuter railways. They are a durable model unto itself, like the Hercules C-130 (1954, still made today), the Boeing 737 (1966, still made today) and are still being manufactured for GO as we speak.

Honestly, I really don't expect to see BiLevels disappear from GO's network in my lifetime. Maybe 80%-90%+ replaced, but not a complete disappearance.

BLiSzGHl.jpg

(source)

Coach numbered 2056. August 29, 1978 at the Ex... This coach is still carrying commuters this morning. I saw this coach less than a month ago! Now consider there are also some coaches and cabs manufactured recently, too, from orders made before the $13.5bn electrification decision. Those could very easily last to the 2050s or 2060s, if GO wished.

Certainly an individual coach probably won't be used for 100 years, but as a brand/model line, the newest ones rolling out of the factory this year, is now well equipped to reach the brand's 100th anniversary still-in-service somewhere.

It is possible, given the recently refurbished 1970s models (the ones with new seats installed) expected to last well into the late 2020s -- a delta of 50+ years -- then resold for continued service elsewhere.

I would thusly be not be too surprised if one of the world's commuter railroads currently using them (Utah, Florida, California, Vancouver, etc) will still be using a refurbished version of the oldest Metrolinx-resold circa-2016 new-cabs by year 2078 -- with an electric locomotive at the opposite end of the consist -- for the 100th anniversary of the first BiLevel's manufacture -- a very similar delta of 60 years after the manufacture of the first model.

Last edited:

Back