News   Mar 28, 2024
 1.1K     2 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 575     2 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 877     0 

GO Transit: 50 Possible Sites for new Stations

There's still the problem of what to do with that 80%-sold Mimico condo named "On The GO".
It'll be 900m from the GO

In seriousness, Metrolinx cancelled their partnership with the condo. When you look at some of the writings on the wall (the condo, no work being done on station rebuild as scheduled) they have already decided Mimico is to be closed.

There's still the problem of what to do with that 80%-sold Mimico condo named "On The GO".
Unless they have a contract with the developer guaranteeing the station is there...that is not really ML's problem...is it? Besides, a marketer would still spin it as on the go.....right beside the tracks....just not a station.

I would argue that Bronte and Appleby are more in the middle of nowhere.

Given the industrial areas that they're in though, it would be pretty hard to have them be "somewhere". If anything, I'd like to see GO add stations at Walkers Line and Fourth Line in Burlington and Oakville, respectively. Maybe even a station at King Rd between Burlington and Aldershot. Those can be more TOD stations and less commuter parking stations.

Given the industrial areas that they're in though, it would be pretty hard to have them be "somewhere". If anything, I'd like to see GO add stations at Walkers Line and Fourth Line in Burlington and Oakville, respectively. Maybe even a station at King Rd between Burlington and Aldershot. Those can be more TOD stations and less commuter parking stations.
I guess you never seen the King Rd area???

No way you can put in a stop there and it also happens to be the drill track and yard lead for the Aldershot Yard as well the main Halton Sub lines. They just built the grade separation last year, its also next to a major hydro site and need to tear most of the area down.

The other sites are in no man zones and require people to drive to them just like the other ones.

I guess you never seen the King Rd area???

No way you can put in a stop there and it also happens to be the drill track and yard lead for the Aldershot Yard as well the main Halton Sub lines. They just built the grade separation last year, its also next to a major hydro site and need to tear most of the area down.

The other sites are in no man zones and require people to drive to them just like the other ones.

I've driven past it. I acknowledge it's in a tough area, which is why I added the "maybe even", implying it was far less desirable than the other two.

Walkers Line could be centred right on the road, as opposed to mid-block. The industrial lands surrounding it also could provide a good development opportunity. Same goes for Fourth Line.

In general, with a move to RER, I'd like to see GO move from a "fewer stations with seas of parking" stance to "more stations with moderate amounts of parking at each". Opening those stations could also allow GO to redevelop some of their parking lot lands at existing stations.

I've driven past it. I acknowledge it's in a tough area, which is why I added the "maybe even", implying it was far less desirable than the other two.

Walkers Line could be centred right on the road, as opposed to mid-block. The industrial lands surrounding it also could provide a good development opportunity. Same goes for Fourth Line.

In general, with a move to RER, I'd like to see GO move from a "fewer stations with seas of parking" stance to "more stations with moderate amounts of parking at each". Opening those stations could also allow GO to redevelop some of their parking lot lands at existing stations.
I have been calling since 2007 more stations on line with most being walk-in and haft the size to support shorter trains as RER or what.

Moving some of the existing stations to major roads/intersection would help both residential and industrial with most surface lots being used for TOD and parking under it.

I call for a stop at Doval and Winston Churchill in Oakville.

I have been calling since 2007 more stations on line with most being walk-in and haft the size to support shorter trains as RER or what.

Moving some of the existing stations to major roads/intersection would help both residential and industrial with most surface lots being used for TOD and parking under it.

I call for a stop at Doval and Winston Churchill in Oakville.

Dorval is one I considered, but I figured it would be a bit too close to the Oakville station. Although they are moving the Oakville GO across the street, so that creates a bit more of a separation.

As for Winston Churchill, I figured something closer to the Ford plant, west of Ford Drive would work. With the hydro corridor and stuff in the area, as well as relatively easy access to the 403, it would make sense to make that location the drive-to station for eastern Oakville and western Mississauga, as opposed to Oakville and Clarkson. That location also has the potential to connect with some sort of extension of the Mississauga Transitway, running either beside the 403 or on it. Buses only ramps from the 403 onto Ford Dr would make it a pretty straight shot to the station.

The other location is Lorne Park, which would need to be pretty much exclusively walk-ins and transit, and would need to be done in conjunction with a grade separation there.

WEll are you saying condo developer can sue Metrolinx? That's crazy . TTC changes bus routes or perhaps has cancelled them in the past. No one has sued. If governments can expropriate land then I doubt they can be sued for decided to place a GO station at another location

Dorval is one I considered, but I figured it would be a bit too close to the Oakville station. Although they are moving the Oakville GO across the street, so that creates a bit more of a separation.

As for Winston Churchill, I figured something closer to the Ford plant, west of Ford Drive would work. With the hydro corridor and stuff in the area, as well as relatively easy access to the 403, it would make sense to make that location the drive-to station for eastern Oakville and western Mississauga, as opposed to Oakville and Clarkson. That location also has the potential to connect with some sort of extension of the Mississauga Transitway, running either beside the 403 or on it. Buses only ramps from the 403 onto Ford Dr would make it a pretty straight shot to the station.

The other location is Lorne Park, which would need to be pretty much exclusively walk-ins and transit, and would need to be done in conjunction with a grade separation there.
The Oakville Station is moving to the east about 1,000 m or more and helps the Doval stop.

Winston is better since it already has bus service on it as well the Lakeshore.

Not holding my breath on a Transitway connection to the 403 plan one.

Lorne Park did have a station at one time and time to get it back.

Work is taking place on the "On The GO" Condo and a huge mistake on Metrolinx part not working with the developer right and making the station part of the development. What was first plan was ok, but not now.

WEll are you saying condo developer can sue Metrolinx? That's crazy . TTC changes bus routes or perhaps has cancelled them in the past. No one has sued. If governments can expropriate land then I doubt they can be sued for decided to place a GO station at another location

There is absolutely no way that Metrolinx entered into a contract with the condo developer committing to the long-term/permanent presence of a GO station at a specific location/X metres from the condo. Similarly, without such an agreement, I can't possibly imagine a successful lawsuit against a public transit agency in the habit of opening/closing/moving stations as needed for moving a station ~1km.

I would argue that Bronte and Appleby are more in the middle of nowhere.
Or even Aldershot, which in my experience one of the busiest "morning peak" stations on the GO network due to its huge park-n-ride commuter catchment. The flow onto the train rivals Oakville for some departure times.

Though...they seem to be urbanizing Aldershot with retail and urban towns in the next few years.

The Oakville Station is moving to the east about 1,000 m or more and helps the Doval stop.

Really? That would put it over near Chartwell...actually right around the plaza with Longos.

Sure glad my wife didn't let me make an offer on that house on Trafalger just before Christmas....it's only really redeeming quality was the short walk to the GO station!

Really? That would put it over near Chartwell...actually right around the plaza with Longos.

Sure glad my wife didn't let me make an offer on that house on Trafalger just before Christmas....it's only really redeeming quality was the short walk to the GO station!
Its supposed to be over by the new office building and no short walk from Trafalgar.

Back