News   Apr 19, 2024
 421     0 
News   Apr 19, 2024
 580     2 
News   Apr 19, 2024
 976     3 

GO Transit: 50 Possible Sites for new Stations

I am pretty shocked that a Park Lawn Go was not included in this round, as it is probably the worse serviced area in the city, given the (forever exponentially increasing) density.

I hear tomorrow they are going to announce the east side. When are we expecting all the new stations to be announced?

Her own data says Queen loses if you care about the future. All future job growth downtown for the next 25-30 years is going to be developed south of Lot Street as per city policy and directives. Does no one click on the headlines at the top of the each page? Relevant to this thread is the possible sites for new GO stations and 0 of the shortlisted ones are at Queen Street. Queen is completely useless to the GO network. See drum's post in another thread. How are you going to get 10s thousands into the core from GO stations not at Union? Toy streetcars?

Would not the answer be that they would interchange at Unilever/East Bay Front in the East and at the next station beyond Osgoode in the west? What if ...just for a moment...the politicians do get it and we are getting a network and the network will include the connections that make all this make sense? Even Mlinx proposed a Bathurst/Front, Spadina/Front second terminal west of Union.

Every person who takes the time to post here knows that we need a huge network investment. The obstacles are political will and money. When the will is in place, the money will follow. Maybe there is one less obstacle and maybe the will is there.

I hear tomorrow they are going to announce the east side. When are we expecting all the new stations to be announced?

After this round there will be one announcement per week. Then there will be re-announcements each month in groups of 5. Then there will be announcements of the proposed funding. Then announcements of the proposed funding to be shared with the federal government. Then federal government announcements of the stations. Then joint announcements of a joint agreement to fund the stations. Then announcements of the revised station locations. Then announcements of the EA's. Announcements of announcements of the start of the proposed future construction date. Then an announcement it's all cancelled. Then an announcement that it's all to be replaced with a hyperloop. Then an announcement the hyperloop will cost $100billion more than anticipated. Then an announcement that a hyperloop is what we need to be a competitive city. Then there will be a final announcement that they will build the 5 stations originally proposed 45 years earlier.

Metrolinx has not included Park Lawn as part of their 10 Year GO-RER plan. This pretty much cements Humber Bay as the worst planned neighborhood in Toronto with the worst access to transit in the city when compared to it's density.

I have two conspiracy theories on this one. The first is remembering my own days in the public sector, when at budget time we always included a couple marginal project proposals so that the powers that be could find something to cut and feel they had done their jobs, while hopefully leaving alone the stuff that really mattered. ML may have kept its list on the extra lean side assuming that the political level will add a station or two. Park Lawn could be that added station.

The other theory is that ML looked at the Humber Bay mess, concluded it came about because the City did a terrible job of restraining greedy developers, and decided it wasn't their problem to solve.

- Paul

I have two conspiracy theories on this one. The first is remembering my own days in the public sector, when at budget time we always included a couple marginal project proposals so that the powers that be could find something to cut and feel they had done their jobs, while hopefully leaving alone the stuff that really mattered. ML may have kept its list on the extra lean side assuming that the political level will add a station or two. Park Lawn could be that added station.

Always good to read the tea leaves from the local MPP:

http://petermilczyn.onmpp.ca/News/11439?l=EN

AoD

The other theory is that ML looked at the Humber Bay mess, concluded it came about because the City did a terrible job of restraining greedy developers, and decided it wasn't their problem to solve.

- Paul

also the fight between Mimico and Parklawn. If I were the decision maker I wouldn't want to spend twice the money to serve essentially a same area. Theoretically RER stations can be as close as 1km but I think it really mean for the very high density downtown cores such as Union and financial core.

Last edited:
The branding will mak it clearer once the firm that handled UP launch gets their hands on it.....smaRtER Track for the win!

Maybe it will finally establish Toronto as the undeniable symbol of progress and prosperity in Ontario, but help seal our credibility as an international player on the global stage again*.

*From those who brought you the UPX video.

AoD

The proposed Liberty Village stop is on King. However the proposed DRL is on Queen. If the DRL is going to be on Queen, then the GO stop needs to be at Queen/Dufferin as well so that there can be an interchange.

Back