News   May 29, 2024
 193     0 
News   May 29, 2024
 462     0 
News   May 28, 2024
 1.8K     1 

GO Train to Return to Barrie

Is it too late to rebuild and reopen the train line to Orillia? That would be the next logical destination, with maybe another station on the north side of Barrie.

I think the story above clearly says this is as far north as the track can go.

Actually, the track used to go further north all the way up to Washago, where it met up with the CN Bala sub. They could relay the track to Orillia, though I can't see that happening. But the article is still wrong when it says that's as far as the tracks go, as the line continues to Collingwood via the former Meaford Sub which formerly branched off it.

There will be only 150 parking spaces constructed with Allandale Station, which in itself will make the station economically viable. However, Allandale Station will be more important to attract non-auto access trips, such as by Barrie Transit or by drop off or active transportation, and it is more advantageous for such because of its more central location in Barrie.

That being said, the Business Case recommended the use of parking lots in downtown Barrie or along the lake shore, with a frequent bus shuttle to make up for the limited parking that will be provided at the station itself.

Not a bad idea to use the parking lots along the water as they are mostly busy in the weekends. At least GO parking could see use when trains are not running.

Actually, the track used to go further north all the way up to Washago, where it met up with the CN Bala sub. They could relay the track to Orillia, though I can't see that happening. But the article is still wrong when it says that's as far as the tracks go, as the line continues to Collingwood via the former Meaford Sub which formerly branched off it.
It's a shame, because not only is Orillia a potential commuter market, but it makes a lot more sense for the ONR and VIA's Canadian to go through Barrie and Orillia than the empty farmland on the other side of Lake Simcoe.

Why is it so unlikely to relay track? I can't imagine relaying track on an old route could possibly cost that much money, given that the ROW is still there. It's just a bunch of wood and a bit of steel.

the train station is in south Barrie and only really doable by car.Transit is Barrie
needs to improve so its not just cars.If you walk in Barrie its seen as wierd.
Barrie is ok but the homeless problem is growing

the train station is in south Barrie and only really doable by car.Transit is Barrie
needs to improve so its not just cars.If you walk in Barrie its seen as wierd.
Barrie is ok but the homeless problem is growing

Have you read this thread? It's about the Barrie line actually going into downtown Barrie.

CC, have you read this thread? It was started because of the return of GO trains to Barrie, period. The first part was trains to south Barrie, now it's on to Allandale. Discussion on Barrie Transit to either station is valid.

Transit in Barrie is pretty lacking from my experience. Granted, it's mainly just driving through the City to Collingwood, but I don't recall seeing too many buses on Bayfield or Dunlop where I would drive throug the City.

2010 if I recall correctly.

Do you know where the passing tracks are going to be installed? And how many sets of passing tracks? The money was in the previous provincial budget, but I've yet to see any construction. All I've seen are a few stacks of rail just north of Maple station.

TOS

I seen while driving by the barrie go yard, that it can actually handle 5 train sets or more. I seen those units the trains hooked up to and a far one said train 5. so maybe barrie get 5th train sometime :rolleyes:

Back