News   Oct 02, 2024
 248     0 
News   Oct 02, 2024
 564     0 
News   Oct 01, 2024
 1.9K     4 

Globe Editorial: Another flip-flop from Harper

Isn't Energuide extremely popular and well used?

Who is this joker? He's playing a very dangerous game, I think. I think his chances of re-election are dwindling...

He also cancelled the half-billion that the federal Liberals had offered to Ontario to phase out its coal power plants.

Hmm, this is certainly a betrayal of conservative ideals; does Harper think a small tax credit to transit users will make up for cuts to these programs? I, for one, am going to write to my local MP Peter Van Loan and voice my displeasure, if only because part of his platform was to save Lake Simcoe.

I think Harper's honeymooning right now... I don't think his support is really sustainable. The fiscal imbalance will not have a solution that does not piss off one of his core constituencies, Quebec (he hopes), or Ontario/Alberta.

Can Harper really afford to lose 20 seats in Ontario to gain maybe that many in Quebec? He is really trying to stick it to Ontario, coming down to blatant disrespect. I think this will do nothing but harm him in Ontario.

Not necessarily. Ontario has a long history of willingly sacrificing to make other parts of the country happy. Mulroney's policies were disastrous for our province, pushing it into the deepest recession since the 30s, and potentially significantly reducing its power in the confederation through constitutional changes, yet we obligingly voted for him twice.

Besides, the parts of Ontario which are most likely to "reject" Harper (presumably the GTA) aren't, by and large, parts where he already has a significant # of seats.

Re Mulroney, though, keep in mind that the depths of the Ontario recession postdated both his general-election victories. (Y'know, we didn't really know what hit us until the earliest Rae years, at the very least...)

Rural Ontario isn't getting much from Harper either. Any seats where the Conservatives won by a slight margin are at risk.

I imagine the generous farm aid funding in the budget made a lot of rural Ontario quite happy.

Many farmers are actually disappointed by the funding they received in the budget, especially those in the grain and oilseeds sector, which is in dire straits. I don't really imagine that this level of funding is exceptional compared to what the Liberals had done during their reign.

I can't wait for Dec 2 for the Liberals to elect a new leader. Every passing day with Harper representing us is a pain.

Harper would be very keen on the Liberals becoming an almost exclusive "Ontario" party. The Liberals need to be careful, with how they react to Harper's snubs.

^Then Ontario has to become more pro-active and use the same tactics as Quebec. That is the only solution. The Conservatives/Reform/Alliance Party made headway on being an Alberta grievance party. Maybe Ontario should do the same things.

Someons should call John Tory on the capret and ask him if he supports the idea of the federal government marginalizing the Ontario government just because the party in power is the Liberals? Someone should ask him if he would enjoy similar relations with a Liberal federal government?

I see no reason for Ontario to continue to bend over. I think McGuinty has had enough of this, and I'm happy that he's holding the feds, regardless of the party in power, to account for this.

Someons should call John Tory on the capret and ask him if he supports the idea of the federal government marginalizing the Ontario government just because the party in power is the Liberals? Someone should ask him if he would enjoy similar relations with a Liberal federal government?

Dalton McGuinty undoubtedly will, come 2007, and it will likely win him his re-election.

Back