Glas Condos (Lamb Developments) - Real Estate -

jingooo

Member Bio
Reaction score
I’m a first time buyer and am actively looking at studios or 1 bedrooms in downtown Toronto. Had a viewing today at Glas Condo (25 Oxley St., near King and Spadina). Wanna get some input on the floor plan, please take a look.

There’s not a lot of discussion on here about Glas (did a quick search of the forum). Anyone have more intimate knowledge of the building (i.e., current residents) and would be so lovely to share with me? Greatly appreciated!

Also, according to the condo website, there are 5 penthouse suites still for sale, even though the condo’s been registered since mid-september/09. I’m not sure what to think about that. Maybe it has something to do with the fact that the building has few amenities (no gym, no pool, and only 8-hr concierge). So someone who’s paying $700K ~ $1M for a place would want more frills. What’s your take?

Attachments

• image8.jpg
    image8.jpg
    9.4 KB · Views: 1,347
Good location, pathetic floorplan. And, there is a condo being built in front of it. Look around - you will likely find something a bit more exciting. And, a one-bedroom , no matter how small, is always better for re-sale.

i'm not even sure if the location is that good.

the Charlotte St. loop for the King St. streetcar is a huge problem for some with the noise generated.

it's hard to make out the floorplan and measurements since it can't be enlarged; however, there is alot of wasted space from the long and narrow plan b/c of hallway.

you mentioned that 5 PH units are still for sale from the developer, ...
if they aren't sold by the end of 1st year of registration, that could also negatively impact the maintenance fees in a small complex since there will be budget short-fall that the developer's management company could creatively massage in the books.

In terms of the layout, I'm concerned about the linear kitchen. While this is often a reality with many of the new (eg. small) condominium units being built these days, in regards to this particularly unit, the washroom right in front of it does exacerbate things.

In other open-space units you can place a dining table in front to double-up as additional counter space, but with this unit, the location of the washroom makes this solution rather unfeasible. I'd imagine that anything placed in that corridor would make walking through (let alone cooking!) a bit of an uncomfortable endeavor.

Aside from the kitchen, the way the bathroom breaks up the unit is rather awkward. While it would be my suggestion to leave the sleeping quarters after the kitchen as you'd probably don't want guests entering your "bedroom" as soon as they walk into the unit (unless the only guests you plan on having are hookers - then it's straight to business), the location of the washer/dryer creates for a rather odd placement of living room furniture.

I agree with the sentiment above - you'd probably be much better off looking for a different space.

this unit is listed for $239.900. In this price range you won't find anything better in downtown, unless you wait for 550 Wellington and 75 portland to be registered. The location is good and the unit faces north so you won't have the construction of Charlie in front of your window. the street car is not an issue as your unit faces Oxley, no charlotte. very nice building and great interior finishes, gas stove, 9 ft ceilings, huge windows, nice bathroom. I know those units and they are very nice, the hallways are great. The website is not updated. MLS only shows 1 PH available.

This one is actually called Jr. 1 bedroom...for 410 sq ft. I think it’s more like a den that has no door.

Thanks a lot for the feedback everyone! I had an overall good impression with the unit, except there’s only one window at the end of the unit, so the den-like area next to entrance doesn’t get direct light.

People were lining up to see this place and I’m afraid if I don’t act on it, it’s gone. -_-

This one is actually called Jr. 1 bedroom...for 410 sq ft. I think it’s more like a den that has no door.

Thanks a lot for the feedback everyone! I had an overall good impression with the unit, except there’s only one window at the end of the unit, so the den-like area next to entrance doesn’t get direct light.

People were lining up to see this place and I’m afraid if I don’t act on it, it’s gone. -_-

WHY ?!?!? don't buy on impulse and fear.
it's not like there are NO condos in the city of TO, let alone in that area?
if carturo15 is right about the unit, $240K for 410SF = $585 PSF !!!

there are similar units in other projects that have the sleeping area and bathroom reversed, so your bathroom doesn't open into your kitchen and the bedroom has sliding glass doors to let light in.

I have my reasons for needing to find a place soon, but you are right cdr108, I definitely wouldn't want to buy out of impulse/fear. Going to mull this one over tonight.

What other projects would you suggest? Thanks.

I looked at a few of these units late spring (when they were listing for $216,000!!!). they are tiny but i think a very good use of space, and the finishes are superb. you will need a locker if you have any more than a large suitcase of clothes. the kitchen is too small for someone who likes to cook but it's beautiful and functional. the view is disappointing. the sleeping alcove right by the door will barely fit a double and there isn't much room to install a partition.

by the time i got serious about buying , the market was in full crazy train mode and I didn't think it was worth it when they started listing at $230K and then $240K. I ended up finding an assignment at East Lofts which is the same builder. I think it's overpriced at $239K but I also believe the market is going to go down at some point in the near future. Some do not think it will. Overall I think it's a great unit for someone who doesn't spend a lot of time at home. If you are ok with the tiny space then I don't think you will regret your decision.

It's funny, I looked at a couple units back in March and this was one of them. Very nice finishes, but I think it would be a better design if the unit was one big room rather than chopped up. That tiny living room is so small and there's no balcony either. It was goign for $210K back then. What a difference 10 months makes.

I know a few people who live at Glas and they love it. I think it's a lovely building as long as you're not looking south.

If you up your price a bit, I think you can find something better. If you're not in a rush, I would suggest waiting a bit.

oh my...$30K in ten months. What a market it has been.

Thanks everyone for your advice. I decided against Glas in the end. The more I thought about the floor plan the more it bothered me.

So the hunt continues. :rolleyes:

Back