News   Mar 28, 2024
 248     0 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 319     1 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 682     0 

Gladstone Hotel Purchase, Renovation

I don't think that's a cupola exactly. Isn't more of a spire? Can someone help us here?
It's a spire. It would have to be rebuilt from photos, drawings, and plans if they're still around.
It is a cupola, just an atypically large, non-domed one. Here's a definition:

In architecture, a cupola is a relatively small, most often dome-like, tall structure on top of a building. Often used to provide a lookout or to admit light and air, it usually crowns a larger roof or dome.

It is a cupola, just an atypically large, non-domed one. Here's a definition:

In architecture, a cupola is a relatively small, most often dome-like, tall structure on top of a building. Often used to provide a lookout or to admit light and air, it usually crowns a larger roof or dome.

Here's the definition of a spire:

a tapering conical or pyramidal structure on the top of a building, typically a church tower

The original structure atop the Gladstone Hotel evokes this definition, with a tapering pyramidal structure crowning the corner tower:

To me, it's not a spire unless it tapers all the way to a point. This is a cupola to me, albeit a very fussy, outsized one, because of the window in it to let in light, (whatever was in there), as the act of letting it light is the essential nature of a cupola, mostly atop domes.

To me, it's not a spire unless it tapers all the way to a point. This is a cupola to me, albeit a very fussy, outsized one, because of the window in it to let in light, (whatever was in there), as the act of letting it light is the essential nature of a cupola, mostly atop domes.

That's an interesting perspective. I'm inclined to agree, but the structure does seem to meet the dictionary definition of a spire. Also, it hardly looks designed to let light into the overall building with those small windows located far above the main structure. Rather, the windows appear to exist to make the space in the pyramidal structure more practical and usable.

I certainly thought spire when first seeing the historical image. Also, to me the roof does look to come to a point, if you pay close attention. The point is just mostly obscured from the angle of the drawing by the substantial mid-roof cornice.

The ground level windows have all been covered:

May 2, 2020

20200502_075912.jpg
20200502_080226.jpg
20200502_080153.jpg
20200502_080030.jpg

Interiors now being gutted. According to my friend who has inside sources at the Gladstone, they hope to reopen in Spring 2021. Although there's still a lot of work to do so it may be a bit optimistic.

That place had a lot of character; I stayed in a room for a weekend as a change of pace and attended several art exhibits. I'm not sure whether or not I should be looking forward to the end result of this renovation...

Reactions: syn
That place had a lot of character; I stayed in a room for a weekend as a change of pace and attended several art exhibits. I'm not sure whether or not I should be looking forward to the end result of this renovation...

For me, Saturday night karaoke and Nuit Blanche art exhibits at the Gladstone have always been good times. At least the timing is right to complete a thorough renovation during the pandemic when things would've been slow anyways. I'm staying reasonably optimistic that hopefully they can do this building justice with the refresh.

For me, Saturday night karaoke and Nuit Blanche art exhibits at the Gladstone have always been good times. At least the timing is right to complete a thorough renovation during the pandemic when things would've been slow anyways. I'm staying reasonably optimistic that hopefully they can do this building justice with the refresh.

It's come a long way. In the 90's the place was still a sketchy flophouse.

Back