News   Apr 25, 2024
 175     0 
News   Apr 24, 2024
 1.1K     1 
News   Apr 24, 2024
 1.6K     1 

Gladstone Hotel Purchase, Renovation

For us culinary ignorant then...

Admittedly, the most unusual raw meat I've ever had thus far is horse tartare once at Guu Izakaya in Parkdale. It wasn't bad though. 🙃

Weird things they serve at Japanese pubs...

Weird things they serve at Japanese pubs...

Take your pick. (I'll try it too) :)

Admittedly, the most unusual raw meat I've ever had thus far is horse tartare once at Guu Izakaya in Parkdale. It wasn't bad though. 🙃
I had horse tartare once at La Palette on Queen. I didn't order it, but there were protestors out front protesting the restaurant serving horse meat and the restaurant manager? owner? someone working there went out on the street by the front door with a tray of horse tartar on little crackers and started giving it out as free samples lol 😄 so I had one on the way out. Was good!! Even though I'm a bit squeamish about raw meat. As I was walking away one of the protestors said to me "see you in the hospital" when I ate it because one of their points was about how horse meat was dangerous due to some drug horses are given or something (but I believe from my memory of my research at the time it isn't given to horses in the food supply). I wish I had the presence of mind in the moment to ask back to the protestor why they would also be at the hospital.

Some additional interior photos from this article:

gladh2.jpg
gladh3.jpg
gladh4.jpg
gladh5.jpg
gladh6.jpg
gladh7.jpg

Goodness, I like those fitness rooms. (Assuming there's two of them.)

I'll reserve my judgement until I get a better look at the space. :) But a couple weeks ago I did see that they installed a pretty cool light up dance floor/stage in the backspace. I'm sure it will be a hit if they continue their drag events.

From what I've heard, the Gladstone has been gradually trending downward for about the last year or so. There's a rift between the ownership and the management team for the restaurant/bar. The Melody Bar underperforms and it seems pretty dead on most nights. Compared to the past where they'd often be full during events like weekly karaoke night and such. There's been an exodus of some staff, while it appears that the deep-pocketed (enough) owners are willing to let things bleed out. Seemingly until the remaining holdout staff leave and they bring in a whole new team.

From what I've heard, the Gladstone has been gradually trending downward for about the last year or so. There's a rift between the ownership and the management team for the restaurant/bar. The Melody Bar underperforms and it seems pretty dead on most nights. Compared to the past where they'd often be full during events like weekly karaoke night and such. There's been an exodus of some staff, while it appears that the deep-pocketed (enough) owners are willing to let things bleed out. Seemingly until the remaining holdout staff leave and they bring in a whole new team.

That's unfortunate to hear but not unexpected. The recent renovation gutted this former gem of a boutique hotel of the Bohemian character that made it special.

Back