News   Apr 19, 2024
 384     0 
News   Apr 19, 2024
 574     2 
News   Apr 19, 2024
 960     3 

General railway discussions

CN has a yard by 8 mile that supposed to do intermodal. Since that CN merger GT into them, they close the GT yard as far as I know. It was near the bridge.

Even on fix schedules, you may find space the same day depending on equipment.

This could be the break the RR needs to get freight traffic back they have lost to trucks. If RR want truck traffic, they need to provide the service to/from where the trucks are needed.
Do they still have "extra" runs like the good old days.

With PSR, traffic is held until a minimum threshold length -potentially 8,000+ feet of train - has accumulated. Short trains, even on a premium pay basis, are extremely rare these days.

The Detroit tunnels are not capable of handling double stack containers. CP runs a daily double stack intermodal train from Chicago through Cleveland and Buffalo to Toronto to bypass the Windsor tunnel. Single stack container trains don't have the productivity to be economic, so CP doesn't run these any more through Windsor-Detroit.

The bigger problem is... the traffic that is being blockaded is not container based, but rather is mostly trailer based. Neither CN nor CP have any interest in "piggyback" traffic, and don't have many - if any - ramps to handle piggyback.

While there is a lot of traffic passing through the border, not enough of it is concentrated on any one route to create a viable rail demand....the trucks converge on the border, and once across they fan out on a variety of routes. That's too much loading and sorting and shuffling and unloading again to be viable for the short distance that is covered. Even the through 401 to I-75 business (which in theory might make a piggyback service between say Woodstock and Dayton attractive as a fantasy suggested service) has too much first/last leg variability. One would have to find drayage at each end, and loading/unloading delay would be unfavourable.

I certainly have wondered why this can't be overcome, especially with the volumes of truck traffic that pass daily..... but to answer the original question - to configure a temporary patch service just to offset the blockades, is highly unlikely, especially at the price point that would be required and with any sort of competitive end to end velocity.

- Paul

Last edited:

TIL that there's a constitutional (?!) tax exemption for CP in parts of the country? I'm incredibly confused. At first I thought that this was in the provincial constitutions, but I don't understand why the House of Commons has to vote to amend them (I thought provinces could amend their constitutions unilaterally?)

Clearly I don't understand federal/provincial constitutions or constitutional law.

TIL that there's a constitutional (?!) tax exemption for CP in parts of the country? I'm incredibly confused. At first I thought that this was in the provincial constitutions, but I don't understand why the House of Commons has to vote to amend them (I thought provinces could amend their constitutions unilaterally?)

Clearly I don't understand federal/provincial constitutions or constitutional law.

Ok, let me try.

1) There are no provincial constitutions in Canada as such. That is to say there are no definitive written documents codified as a 'Provincial Constitution' per se.

2) There are, however, province-specific provisions of the Constitution of Canada.

Of note:

Arguably most fundamental to provincial constitutions is their unwritten nature.

From: https://policyoptions.irpp.org/maga...ovincial-constitution-and-how-do-we-amend-it/

Further elaboration from Wikipedia:

1644465764671.png

Source: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Constitution_of_Canada

In this specific case, the originating deal was a deal between Ottawa (the Federal government) and CP Rail that proceeded the existence of Saskatchewan. As such the agreement would be considered part of the Constitution of Canada, as I understand it.

This is similar to amendments made to allow the abolition of denominational public education in Newfoundland and Quebec.

Its a bit more involved that what I've posted, but the links are fairly fulsome in their explanations.

Man, one can really get into the weeds here. The Saskatchewan Act (1905) is a federal statute considered part of the Constitution of Canada by virtue of Section 52 (and the schedule further on). It established the province. Section 53 says the statutes listed in the schedule are repealed/amended as listed but, if not, remain in force. Nothing is indicated (in the version cited) that Act has been repealed/amended.

The Saskatchewan Act says:

24. The powers hereby granted to the said province shall be exercised subject to the provisions of section 16 of the contract set forth in the schedule to chapter 1 of the statutes of 1881, being an Act respecting the Canadian Pacific Railway Company.

Unfortunately, I couldn't find said contract, but it seems there is general agreement that it exempts the company from certain taxes. This should be fairly simple. A Constitutional amendment impacting on a single province is fairly straight forward, and I read somewhere that the company really isn't objecting. It doesn't seem to be huge pile of money and they'll just pass it on anyway.

Man, one can really get into the weeds here. The Saskatchewan Act (1905) is a federal statute considered part of the Constitution of Canada by virtue of Section 52 (and the schedule further on). It established the province. Section 53 says the statutes listed in the schedule are repealed/amended as listed but, if not, remain in force. Nothing is indicated (in the version cited) that Act has been repealed/amended.

The Saskatchewan Act says:

24. The powers hereby granted to the said province shall be exercised subject to the provisions of section 16 of the contract set forth in the schedule to chapter 1 of the statutes of 1881, being an Act respecting the Canadian Pacific Railway Company.

Unfortunately, I couldn't find said contract, but it seems there is general agreement that it exempts the company from certain taxes. This should be fairly simple. A Constitutional amendment impacting on a single province is fairly straight forward, and I read somewhere that the company really isn't objecting. It doesn't seem to be huge pile of money and they'll just pass it on anyway.

I can LeNaitch too! LOL

schedule to Chapter 1 of the Statutes of 1881 (Canada), being an Act respecting the Canadian Pacific Railway, by which statute the contract was approved and ratified. Clause 16 provides that: "The Canadian Pacific, and all stations and station grounds, work shops, buildings, yards and other property, rolling stock and appurtenances required and used for the construction and working thereof, and the capital stock of the Company, shall be forever free from taxation by the Dominion, or by any province hereafter to be established, or by any municipal corporation therein ..." Clause 14 gave to the Company the right to construct and work branch lines of railway from any point along its main line to any point or points within the territory of the Dominion.

Source:

The Detroit tunnels are not capable of handling double stack containers.
That's only partially true.

The Detroit tunnel has clearance for standard autoracks and double-stacked containers - provided they are sea boxes.

Double-stacked domestic hi-cube cans, however, can not fit within the tunnel. (Nor, for that matter, can the super-sized 22' autoracks such as Auto-Maxes.)

CPR used to run a regular container train from Chicago to Montreal through there, but I suspect that the popularity of the hi-cube container made it far more effort than they felt necessary to justify the service. There are photos of a reasonably full train, with hi-cube containers occupying a single well with nothing on top of them.

Dan

Exo to buy 10 x Chargers to replace 10 ex-GO F59PH, which are now over 30 years old.

The capability to run 10-packs, vs 8-packs with the F59s, is specifically mentioned.

Hopefully this won't be the same situation as the Hyundai Cars. The money saved ended up being more of a hassle.

Screenshot_2022-02-14_080131.jpg

Nobody checked the height of the cars? I guess they dont have couplers installed which is why they are on a flat car.

Back