News   Mar 28, 2024
 1K     2 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 562     2 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 851     0 

General railway discussions

Given that we still have so much hydro wiring above ground, I'm not sure how much difference it really makes to bury the power infrastructure for the trams.
I don’t have high expectations, but at least it will break the cycle - right now it’s too easy to keep the hydro pole because the tram needs it. At the very least, it gives Hydro more degrees of freedom to change pole design etc

- Paul

I can't believe we're talking about the visual pollution of overhead wires again.

I don't think I've ever met someone who lived in Toronto who has complained about the overhead wires.

Yea in a photo it might look a bit jarring, but once you live here, your brain mostly blocks it out.
Most people who live in suburbs don't see anything wrong with power centres. We become blind to the blight we are used to.

I don’t have high expectations, but at least it will break the cycle - right now it’s too easy to keep the hydro pole because the tram needs it. At the very least, it gives Hydro more degrees of freedom to change pole design etc

- Paul

But we leave up hydro poles in way more places than just downtown Toronto. We're a country that just doesn't prioritize urban aesthetics all that much.

Good to know.

Have to say though; still looks cattle-car'ish.

I really like my transverse seating.

Also that lighting looks really harsh (so does TTC's in the Rockets).

I'd prefer to see that recessed and not so bright that you can count the individual specks of dust in the air.

Having indulged in it myself, may I note we are just a tad OTP here for a GO Construction thread.
And I give you, recessed lighting and transverse/longitudinal hybrid seating.
1280px-JR_Kyushu_Yc1-202_inside_cross_seat_20200719.jpg

Source
My observation is that JR East's (Yamanote line's operator) design language is generally more on the utilitarian side. You get more interesting designs from operators in less "cosmopolitan" regions (the example above of a JR Kyushu train).

But we leave up hydro poles in way more places than just downtown Toronto. We're a country that just doesn't prioritize urban aesthetics all that much.

Burying wires ain’t cheap, and it complicates other things.

If Toronto inherited a fleet of wireless trams tomorrow, I would want the money saved to be spent on new transit lines and better service, not on removing the poles. The aesthetics are definitely a lower priority.

- Paul

And I give you, recessed lighting and transverse/longitudinal hybrid seating.
View attachment 292449
Source
My observation is that JR East's (Yamanote line's operator) design language is generally more on the utilitarian side. You get more interesting designs from operators in less "cosmopolitan" regions (the example above of a JR Kyushu train).
...and even a counter to put laptops on.

Reducing visual pollution will be an added benefit, and I'm happy to see that happen too. But the dollars is what is usually talking.

It's funny that reducing visual pollution is a goal yet there's more ugly safety signage put up today that's of dubious benefit.

The EA for the new CN Intermodal Terminal in Milton was approved today.

Decision here.

- Paul

I don't know how to react to this.

I'm not exactly with Milton's opposition to it; at the same time, the analysis I saw and posted on suggested some serious issues.

My impression, correct or otherwise, was that CN didn't really meet its burden under the EA process.

TY, for the info just the same!

Considering that the rest of Halton is being swallowed up by development, I’m not sure that I could argue that the habitat for the frogs, turtles, and swallows that the EA worried about would be any different if the terminal were not built and, say, a big box shopping mall were built instead.

The public concern that the land CN assembled was situated on the wrong side of Milton, and unnecessarily close to residential areas, is quite valid. That’s not really something an Ea can address....The EA tends to assume that you can colocate the two so long as you manage the adverse impacts.

The folks I know in Milton mostly are concerned about trucks ignoring the planned truck routes and infiltrating local streets. Enforcement will address that.

Certainly, CN needs the added capacity.

- Paul

"The Southwest Task Force will focus on improving connections between transportation modes such as rail, bus, and local transit services across the region and will ensure that transportation planning is informed by local needs and considerations." (emphasis added)

• Transit: 30% of comments indicated an interest in improvements to local transit services, such as improving infrastructure, expanding route and service coverage and enhancing connections between routes, modes and services
  • Passenger rail: 27% of comments indicated an interest in a faster, more frequent and reliable passenger rail system, connecting communities in southwestern Ontario and beyond
  • Intercommunity bus: 24% of comments indicated an interest in improvements to intercommunity bus service in southwestern Ontario, within and between urban and rural communities
  • Active transportation: 6% of comments indicated an interest in improvements to the safety of pedestrians, cyclists and other active modes and related infrastructure
27% is pretty high support for passenger rail. Interesting to see any support for active transit, but also sad to think only 6% of people thought it was important.

Back