News   May 31, 2024
 1K     6 
News   May 31, 2024
 3.6K     2 
News   May 31, 2024
 1K     0 

General cycling issues (Is Toronto bike friendly?)

I saw a cyclist this week wearing a device that flashed a bright (LED?) light front and back. Cyclists would enjoy a better opinion in the eyes of the public if they all sported this technology for their sake and that of everyone else out and about after dark. The light was very bright almost impossible to miss and seemed to be attached to the cyclists middle body.

How many cyclists here use this device, if not why not?

There are lots of good lighting options -- MEC sells a really bright rechargeable flasher in red and in white for $10. Unfortunately, I see a ton of people riding bikes downtown wearing dark clothing with no reflective strips or lights or anything on their clothing or their bikes. On a dark rainy night, it's really hard to see them. I don't understand it -- when I ride, I want to be seen!

There are lots of good lighting options -- MEC sells a really bright rechargeable flasher in red and in white for $10. Unfortunately, I see a ton of people riding bikes downtown wearing dark clothing with no reflective strips or lights or anything on their clothing or their bikes. On a dark rainy night, it's really hard to see them. I don't understand it -- when I ride, I want to be seen!

Its the same with people wearing dark clothing and jaywalking at night. Drivers and bicyclers can't see them.

reflect_safety.jpg

I once went to a very good lecture by a Copenhagen bicycling advocate who was born and raised in Vancouver (I forgot his name - a pity, since most bike advocacy lectures repeat the same platitudes, and this guy actually had some profound things to say).

The message that resonated the most with me is when he said something like

"I want people to think of bicycle owners the same way they think about vacuum cleaner owners. That it's so engrained and unspecial; so untribal and mundane that you guys don't stick out like a political target. And just the same as you don't make friends with vacuum cleaner owners if you're a vacuum cleaner owner yourself, and you don't wear special clothes when you vacuum or go to special vacuum cleaner events, I want bicycling to become so mundane and everyday that it's detribalized and depoliticized. When that happens, we'll see real progress."

He said the hard part was right now, where you have to justify building better bike infrastructure that appears to cater to a niche group. But the long term effect of this is to bring reluctant cyclists into the fold, leading a much broader representation of the population and, in the process, making bicycling less special and less tribal.

Requiring bicyclists to wear helmets or high vis jackets or arm them to the teeth with safety features because we refuse to collectively invest in bike infrastructure is a move in the opposite direction. Rather than making bicycling more safe, you make it seem like a dangerous activity, basically confining bicycling to hard core road warriors, many of whom are going to flaunt the rules and behave badly, further tarnishing bicycling's reputation. You make bicycling more tribal, and this just leads to kneejerk reactions like "bicycling is just a bunch of young, white hipsters who run red lights".

I don't know ... it's the same thing as telling pedestrians to be seen at night.

Or hey, let's turn off the headlights on cars.

You're sharing the road, it's dangerous, you need to see and be seen.

It's also not a valid comparison to compare cycling to vacuuming. It's a method of transportation and there will always be safety issues, just as with driving.

Last edited:
^ Hi-viz jackets and helmets aren't bad ideas; I certainly wear a helmet just about all the time, a reflective jacket or bright shirt is a great idea if one plans to be out at night or in low light conditions. Many joggers/runners will wear reflective clothes as well, a good idea as they often use sides of roads and dart faster across roads/crosswalks.

The law only requires adult cyclists to have working brakes, a bell and front white light and rear red reflector at dusk/night. (Yes, reflective tape is also required, but few know about that.)

I don't know ... it's the same thing as telling pedestrians to be seen at night.

Or hey, let's turn off the headlights on cars.

You're sharing the road, it's dangerous, you need to see and be seen.

It's also not a valid comparison to compare cycling to vacuuming. It's a method of transportation and there will always be safety issues, just as with driving.

It's also not a valid comparison to compare driving to walking. A 1,500 kg car (a light car) traveling at 60 km/h hitting an object and coming to a dead stop has over 400 times the momentum of a 60 kg person hitting an object at walking speed.

You can tell pedestrians to be seen at night, but you can't obligate or mandate them to do this for these reasons.

Sure, I agree that bikes have to have some construction standards and that bicyclists should follow sensible rules (that should be enforced), but we can't compare them to cars. We also have to acknowledge that our present approach of putting the burden on the cyclist to make his/her bicycle safe at his/her expense is much less effective at preventing harm (to any road user) than a collective approach of making the bike infrastructure itself safer. There's a reason why the per capita bike accident rate in Copenhagen or Amsterdam is an order of magnitude lower than it is in North America, even if Amsterdamers ride around in dark trenchcoats and text message on their bikes.

Can't speak for all electrics, but when using battery only mine would peak at 20km/h. Even when peddling on a flat surface I would peak at 25km/h. I would have to be going down a steep hill while peddling heavily to hit the speed cap.

I think too many of you are looking at the glass half empty. E-bikes help to open up cycling to people who traditionally are unable to. Whether it be due to physical limitations, disabilities, or lack of confidence, the more people getting around without resorting to cars the better.

I think you are the first one to realize what is happening. If e-bikes use bike lanes, then more people use bike lanes. This would allow for people to demand more bike lanes.
If e-bikes do not use bike lanes, then a large part of the population is shut out from using the bike lanes. Those lanes remain under utilized and the general population can say that no more bike lanes are needed.

It appears that this decision by Council is saying that we do not want any more bike lanes.

No, what's going on is Denzil Minnan-Wong is using ebikes as a convenient wedge issue, telling cyclists they have to be more accommodating if they want more bike infrastructure, knowing full well the tensions between them.

The College and Harbord bike lanes are certainly crowded enough as they are. More bike lanes will get more cyclists using them, it's not a matter of lowering the bar as to who can use them in the hope they become more utilized.

Last edited:
How many cyclists here use this device, if not why not?
8 messages later and no answers, lots of bla bla bla but no answers.

Is it any wonder cyclists are held in such low esteem by the general public?

What? Just because you didn't get a direct reply about a specific device that I've never seen?

For the record, I use a bright USB-rechargeable front light and a secondary helmet-mounted front light, and two rear solid/flashing LED lights. Lighting is a good thing.

I have bright lights on my bike and I use them at night. I'm not sure how this device would be any better.

So because e-bikes don't require a license, all e-bike riders have DUIs? That is some sound logic you've got there...

Please don't attribute this mindless conclusion to me - I never said all e-bike riders have DUI's, that was your inference. That would be ridiculous. What I did say, reiterating what others have said, is that e-bikes fill the unexpected niche of being the motorized mode of transport of choice for many who have had their licences pulled as a result of DUI's.

Any cyclist riding without good lights at night is a fool!

I was riding just after sunset in Holland many years ago and I couldn't get more than 50m without a fellow cyclist chastising me for being invisible. And I mean a good stern tongue licking. And they were right. I got some lights.

I answered you. I don't know which specific device you were referring to because you didn't identify it. It sounds like it might be the MEC ones I noted but I don't know for sure

Back