News   Jul 15, 2024
 470     3 
News   Jul 15, 2024
 622     0 
News   Jul 15, 2024
 575     0 

General cycling issues (Is Toronto bike friendly?)

^I definitely don't experience any of what you say above on ad daily basis, and I've been biking in the city everyday for the last 5 years.
Don't know who that was meant for, but I've been cycling for over fifty years, and still do 150km on a good day, weather permitting...on rail trails, of course. In the city? Perhaps 50km a day.

One only has to look at the eyes of drivers and pedestrians to see what they see cyclists doing. But then again, that would be awareness, wouldn't it?

Don't know who that was meant for, but I've been cycling for over fifty years, and still do 150km on a good day, weather permitting...on rail trails, of course. In the city? Perhaps 50km a day.

One only has to look at the eyes of drivers and pedestrians to see what they see cyclists doing. But then again, that would be awareness, wouldn't it?
I live downtown and am pretty aware as a cyclist and pedestrian, and I've never noticed problems to the degree that you state in your posts.

I live downtown and am pretty aware as a cyclist and pedestrian, and I've never noticed problems to the degree that you state in your posts.
Well I do. So I guess that makes us a different kind of cyclist. I leave it at that. Ask drivers and pedestrians sometime. And yes, I'm the kind that walks through crosswalks, stops at red lights and stop signs, knows the HTA, indicates turns, looks behind before pulling out and passing, and yet still overtake (safely) the idiot cyclists who don't.

But that's why I watch Dutch and Danish cycling vids with envy. It's not just the infrastructure, it's the way they *dance*. Their societies have matured to the point where people rarely do stupid things on the road, and safety is second-nature. It makes planning and providing further infrastructure that much easier since the average cyclist there 'gets it'.

Upgraded Main Cycle Route in Utrecht (Netherlands)
Incredible! Drivers are reserved and controlled, cyclists have a high degree of protocol, and everyone moves safely. Even in the 'bike traffic jam'...notice the space they leave each other? And no ringing of bells, beeping of horns and not one stupid stunt the whole way through. The closest to dangerous moves were twice with scooters.

And I don't think I saw one pair of drop handlebars through it all. That's a reflection on the mindset of the average Dutch cyclist, canary lycra just doesn't cut it. Sensible cycling does. That was both inspiring and relaxing. And Utrecht looks lovely.

Last edited:
Why do I have to ask? I do about 20 hours of walking downtown per week, and don't feel that unsafe.
I didn't say ask yourself, ask others. Are you that oblivious to what many drivers and pedestrians have to say on the matter? You live in a dream. Toronto has a cycling PR problem, and you're oblivious to it. Don't get me wrong, Ontario has some of the worst drivers in the Western world too. I guess I'm not a dyed in the wool Torontonian.

Watch some of the vids from other nations, and tell me you don't see a world of difference to the cycling protocol. Not only the vastly superior cycling infrastructure, but also the sense to use it safely and considerately.

Toronto is so incredibly behind....

Edit to Add: Some cyclists live in a dream. "Crisis, wot crisis?"

Law-breaking cyclists putting everyone in danger: Timson
I'm a motorist ... and I've come to the end of silently tolerating cyclists who break the law.
[...]
Even eco guru David Suzuki has cleared his politically correct throat and written in The Georgia Straight that “a lot of the criticism” of cyclists is “valid” and they need to ride smarter and safer. “Too many blast through stop signs, don’t give pedestrians the right-of-way, refuse to signal turns, ride against traffic, don’t make themselves visible enough and use sidewalks.” With Suzuki on board, cycling entitlement may soon be as egregious as throwing litter out your car window.
[...]
https://www.thestar.com/life/2013/07/04/lawbreaking_cyclists_putting_everyone_in_danger.html

City

What are Toronto cyclists' worst habits?
Posted by Chris Bateman / July 19, 2012
[...]
Toronto's bike riders are a polarizing bunch. On the one hand, most are commuters who by simply not taking a car to work are helping ease traffic on city streets. On the other, some are inexperienced road users without the confidence (and sometimes the knowledge) to properly share the street. Everyone has horror stories - you just have to ask.

Earlier today, we did just that. We had our Twitter followers tell us the worst habits of Toronto's cyclists. As you'd expect, there was a big response. Stories of bikers running red lights, riding on the sidewalk, cruising past open streetcar doors, and using the wrong side of the street abound.
[...]
http://www.blogto.com/city/2012/07/what_are_toronto_cyclists_worst_habits/

Toronto streets most dangerous in Canada to cycle, walk
by News Staff

Posted May 27, 2011 8:41 am EDT

[...]
Toronto’s streets are the most dangerous in the country to cycle or walk, according to a new study.

A report released Thursday by the city’s Traffic Safety Unit revealed Toronto had the highest rate of vehicles colliding with cyclists and pedestrians in the first nine months of last year.

For every 100,000 people, there were 42 vehicle-bike crashes in Toronto, while the second and third spots went to Montreal with 38 and Vancouver with 33.

In Toronto, police recorded 78 vehicle-pedestrian collisions, ahead of Montreal’s 71 and Edmonton’s 50.

“We have streetcar tracks to contend with; we have cyclists riding between where car doors open and streetcar tracks,” said urban cycling consultant Yvonne Bambrick.

“One of the things that the statistics showed was that intersections are clearly where we have the most problems, where the most collisions occur both for pedestrians and for cyclists.” [...]
http://www.citynews.ca/2011/05/27/toronto-streets-most-dangerous-in-canada-to-cycle-walk/

[...]
But if we really want to increase safety for cyclists—and pedestrians and motorists—we all need to take responsibility for our behaviours. People navigating on foot must be aware of surrounding bikes, buses, cars, and other people and not wander with their eyes fixed on electronic devices. Car drivers need to follow road rules and be more aware of cyclists and pedestrians. Some cyclists just need to be smarter.

A lot of criticism of the growing number of cyclists in cities is valid: too many blast through stop signs, don’t give pedestrians the right-of-way, refuse to signal turns, ride against traffic, don’t make themselves visible enough, and use sidewalks. Many seem to have a sense of entitlement compelling them to ignore laws. It doesn’t take much to learn and follow the rules, and investing in proper gear—including lights and reflectors—is absolutely necessary. You’ll not only be safer; you’ll also be less likely to anger motorists, pedestrians, and fellow cyclists.[...]
http://www.straight.com/news/394936/david-suzuki-cycling-smart-some-cyclists-need-get-smarter

But some just don't notice....speaks volumes.

Last edited:
I didn't say ask yourself, ask others. Are you that oblivious to what many drivers and pedestrians have to say on the matter? You live in a dream. Toronto has a cycling PR problem, and you're oblivious to it. Don't get me wrong, Ontario has some of the worst drivers in the Western world too. I guess I'm not a dyed in the wool Torontonian.

Watch some of the vids from other nations, and tell me you don't see a world of difference to the cycling protocol. Not only the vastly superior cycling infrastructure, but also the sense to use it safely and considerately.

Toronto is so incredibly behind....
I never said there wasn't a problem. I just don't think it's as bad as you constantly write about on this forum. Especially the bells thing. I don't hear cyclists constantly ringing their bells like you say they do.

I never said there wasn't a problem. I just don't think it's as bad as you constantly write about on this forum. Especially the bells thing. I don't hear cyclists constantly ringing their bells like you say they do.
Well others do, it's been written about in these very forums.

Awareness is a personal thing....

I did ring my bell three times today. People turned and looked, and avoided getting in my way, two apologized. Amazing how that works...

Last edited:
The BBC has an interesting article on cycling in American cities. http://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-36778953

Great article. This, especially, pulled from it:

"We often talk about a standard we call 8 to 80 - does a grandmother feel comfortable riding on a street with her grandson? If they do, then that's a street that's got it right," he says.

We have zero streets in Toronto that satisfy that test. That needs to change ASAP.

But this Council isn't going to do it, so it's gotta come from the people. If you care about the health of our city and its inhabitants, take a small step and lend your support to the Yonge St. petition currently making the rounds: https://www.cycleto.ca/yonge-loves-bikes

Untitled.png

More details: http://mikelayton.to/construction-notice-bloor-street-bike-lane-installation

Attachments

• Untitled.png
    Untitled.png
    19.7 KB · Views: 359

Back