News   May 10, 2024
 1.5K     2 
News   May 10, 2024
 2.5K     0 
News   May 10, 2024
 1.3K     0 

General cycling issues (Is Toronto bike friendly?)

I am wondering if there's a culture change of some kind still in progress.

But also planning factors.
That's part of it, but planning only pertains to true cyclists, people who practice cycling protocol, are concerned about safety and promote good cycling citizenship.

All the planning in the world won't make a bit of difference for the massive number of idiots on bikes.

Am wondering if someone can explain the process the city takes on this.

For 2016, we have a fairly substantial list of bike lane improvements, new lanes to be added, and road repairs. I know bike lanes go way on the bottom of the priority list in Toronto, but it's nearing mid-July and perhaps one or two of the proposed changes has been implemented.

Peak cycling season probably ends by what, September? Which is also a reasonable date to see some of these implemented. Does anyone know why the city doesn't do these in the spring in preparation for the increase in cyclists?

Yeah...I fully admit that it's a good part reactive on my part, but I detest and resent them on cyclepaths. 99% of the time they're slob low-lifes who disrespect themselves, disrespect the protocol of cycling, disobey the laws of the road, and are inevitably in terrible shape.

Did I mention I don't like them?
Ditto. I often see ebikes zooming through Allan Gardens and on sidewalks throughout downtown east.

Yeah...I fully admit that it's a good part reactive on my part, but I detest and resent them on cyclepaths. 99% of the time they're slob low-lifes who disrespect themselves, disrespect the protocol of cycling, disobey the laws of the road, and are inevitably in terrible shape.

Did I mention I don't like them?

How exactly do you feel about this? :)

Upgraded Main Cycle Route in Utrecht (Netherlands)
Wow! I'm only one and a half minutes in on the vid, and the path is incredible, but what *really* instantly strikes me, since one has to read the lay of the land when cycling, is how *incredibly ordered and sensible* the drivers on the road are! I kept thinking the vid was running slow motion, the drivers are in the "28mph* zone (albeit the metric equiv)...that's the speed that was chosen almost a century ago as it's roughly the maximum speed that one can drive a motorized vehicle and still be within the body's ability to respond in time to stimulii. That's what many farmers still drive at today on the back roads.

The bike path is superlative for a main artery, but I sense drivers in general in Holland are vastly more considerate of not just cyclists, but of all users of the road.

I found similar in southern France, staying there with a brother who lives there. It was cyclist's heaven.

Last edited:
That struck me too. And it's all just hopes and dreams in terms of trying to affect that here - it needs to be led by changes in enforcement and, much more importantly, design. We're not going to get anywhere away from our currently horrendous state in that regard until we have a transportation planning division (among other city actors) populated and headed up by people who understand what intra-city movement should look like in big, dense cities in the 21st-century. And that needs to pertain to cycling, walking, transit, driving, and accessibility alike.

I liked lots of what Stephen Buckley said and did, but I'm hoping that his successor is much more progressive in a number of ways.

That struck me too. And it's all just hopes and dreams in terms of trying to affect that here - it needs to be led by changes in enforcement and, much more importantly, design.
The incredible irony is that dealing with those drivers on the shared road in Holland would be easier than dealing with many of the crazy cyclists on the bike lanes/paths in this city. My beef with many of the cyclists in this town is the same as with motorists, they're not looking, they don't know how to control their vehicles, let alone their bodies, most of them can't drive a standard (ever notice how many cyclists don't gear down before stops?) and it's all about ME,ME,ME. Ding-a-ling-a-ling-a-ling-a-ling etc.

Oh man, got to get out to the rail trails real soon....

I don't mean to be negative (lost my old low post count account details) but steveintoronto, I'm sorry that you're unhappy with how people are on the roads to you. However, to add another person's two cents, I am quite indifferent to how other cyclists interact with me, and have neither a particularly negative or positive opinion, just as I feel about most cars in Toronto (I find most cars quite careful about cyclists in Toronto--eg--compared to a suburb). I do follow the recommendations on cycling that are included in the Toronto bike map on bike etiquette...perhaps it would be worth giving that another look? I don't mean to dismiss your experiences by any means but as it is right now this thread makes it seems like it's a hellhole to bike in Toronto. I thought that a good experience like I feel I have pretty much everyday, would be good to post about, speaking as a daily cyclist commuter.

Also how do you know exactly what the people ringing the bell are doing it for? I wouldn't necessarily assume they're doing it "against" you. I feel also that bell ringing should be encouraged rather than discouraged as it provides additional information.

City considers registering bikes to raise revenue, improve infrastructure

From link:

Staff at city hall are being asked to explore ways to license bicycles in Toronto on Tuesday afternoon.

The fees collected would be used to maintain or improve bike lanes and learn more about cyclists’ habits.

City councillor Stephen Holyday told CTV Toronto he wants a report on the possibility of creating a system that would require residents to license or register their bicycles.

I think there’s a lot of opportunity to raise revenue,” Holyday said, but he added that it’s also a great way to collect a “tremendous amount of data.”

He said certain information -- like where cyclists live, work and routes they take -- could help improve infrastructure maintenance and increase “equipment standards and compliance.”

Holyday referenced a 2016 Forum Research poll that found the majority of Toronto voters thought “bicyclists should be licensed.” Of the 882 people in a random sampling, 56 per cent agreed that registering bikes was seen as a “fair trade-off for a comprehensive bike network.”

If a motion passed, Holyday said only the equipment would be registered -- not the cyclist. The report would consider limiting licensing to adults and could look at commuter versus recreational use.

The city required bicycle licensing in the 1930s, but the bylaw was repealed in 1957 because the process was considered too complicated. The matter has been debated at council three times since, but each time the motion was defeated.

I don't mean to dismiss your experiences by any means but as it is right now this thread makes it seems like it's a hellhole to bike in Toronto. I thought that a good experience like I feel I have pretty much everyday, would be good to post about, speaking as a daily cyclist commuter.
Well I think I cycle considerably more than you do if you just commute. And yes, cycling in Toronto is dangerous...or have you not been following the news of late? Some days, when I stay away from main roads and overcrowded bike paths, and cyclists acting dangerously, to me and others on the road, I obviously love it, but when I see cyclists clipping pedestrians, cutting off drivers and other cyclists, and going through red light after red light, not indicating turns and then lecturing about wearing a helmet, after doing all manner of incredibly stupid things, I react. Odd that.

There are some excellent, considerate and *aware* cyclists in Toronto. They're in a minority, and they pay the price for the others who couldn't give a fug, giving us all a bad name.

Also how do you know exactly what the people ringing the bell are doing it for? I wouldn't necessarily assume they're doing it "against" you. I feel also that bell ringing should be encouraged rather than discouraged as it provides additional information.
Because I've asked them. If incessant bell-ringing is your thing, then how would you react to motorists beeping their horns incessantly? You don't ring the bells all the time. It's worse then crying wolf. You ring them when you need to get someone's attention, as required by law and common sense.

Like the soccer zealots incessantly beeping their horns yesterday, it made it impossible to cycle safely, since any necessary signal of danger is lost in the cacophony. Perhaps you don't notice? Perhaps that's why you ring your bell incessantly? I see people ringing their bells when a vehicle has already taken the lane, legally in many cases. No-one hears it save for other cyclists and pedestrians, so why do it? It gives false signals.

And I get really pizzed at idiot cyclists who insist on ting-a-ling when you slow down for stop-lights, since they want to blast through, and want you out of the way.

Because these things never happen to you, evidently, it doesn't bother you. I seriously question your sense of awareness...

Btw: I don't have a car, haven't for decades, I cycle everywhere this time of year, and I've lived and cycled in many other cities and nations. London, UK is the only other city where I've witnessed such awful cycling. Do you wear pink shades by any chance?

^I definitely don't experience any of what you say above on ad daily basis, and I've been biking in the city everyday for the last 5 years.

Back