News   Jun 07, 2024
 480     0 
News   Jun 07, 2024
 1.4K     2 
News   Jun 07, 2024
 1.5K     2 

General cycling issues (Is Toronto bike friendly?)

While it is true riders of Critical Mass go through red lights and block the traffic, and while this does not mesh entirely with the laws of the road, the approach of blocking traffic is indeed in the best safety for the cyclists involved in the Critical Mass bike ride.

In other words they put themselves in harms way for the sake of safety?

I have to agree with TKTKTK, this is a parade and not a reasonable way for cyclists to conduct themselves on the road.

As a cyclist, I want car drivers to respect me. I believe that cyclists as a group can earn that respect by following the rules of the road when driving through the city.

Indeed, the running of red lights is foolish. If they actually followed traffic laws, then they wouldn't be doing anything wrong.

I actually think a 'Best Practice' Critical Mass cycling run would be tremendously popular with everyone, riders and drivers alike.

It would definitely be interesting to see how that type of a Mass would turn out. I don't know if they've ever tried it.

I just think cars in the mix is deadly though. Even though this is how our infrastructure is set up, cars and bikes do not mix well in any environment where speed is in excess of 30-40km/h.

The Dublin rollout of bikes-for-ads has gone from bad to worse and now even worse again:

It has emerged that the city council will be liable for accidents caused by the billboards that have been erected on the capital’s streets as part of the scheme, even though the boards are privately owned.
The council has allowed JC Decaux, a French company, to erect 72 advertising panels in exchange for 450 bicycles in a “bikes-for-billboards†scheme. But the panels have been criticised as unsafe by drivers, pedestrians and the National Council for the Blind of Ireland (NCBI).
Unlike usual billboards, the advertising panels are attached to the footpath, with edges finished in steel. Drivers claim they block sightlines and could cause accidents.
{snip}
In Chicago, a similar scheme is on hold because of questions over public liability.
“It’s all about lawyers. That’s the only hang-up,†Chicago’s mayor, Richard M Daley, said earlier this month.
{snip}
In Paris, 100,000 people use the 20,000 Velib bikes every day, but vandalism and the cost of spare parts for the bikes cost JCDecaux ¤20.6m in the first half of the year. In the first year, a third of the bikes were damaged or stolen.
Two Velib riders have been killed and the French Cycle Touring Federation said there have been problems with “letting loose hundreds of people who haven’t been on a bike in yearsâ€.
Of course, users of the former Meigs Field and Chicago taxpayers know of Mayor Daley's view of those pesky lawyers and legalities...

City kicking tires of bike-share plan

JAMIE KOMARNICKI
The Globe and Mail
August 22, 2008

Toronto is planning to peddle out a bike-share program that could hit the streets next summer if the city signs on a private partner.

The city's take on the rent-a-bike model would include elements from similar programs in Paris, San Francisco and Washington and tweak them for Toronto's roads, said Councillor Adrian Heaps, head of the city's cycling committee.

He expects to announce the rent-a-bike program by the end of October.

While the city would draft regulations and consider contributing public space, Mr. Heaps said he's looking for a private partner to underwrite the costs.

"It should be privately run. I'm of firm belief [the city] should have no role in running it, though we certainly should be setting the standards," Mr. Heaps said.

But lack of funding has blocked at least one similar endeavour. Toronto's Community Bicycle Network bike-share program sank in 2006 after they it find the funds, said mechanic co-ordinator Sherri Byer.

The network charged membership fees of about $35 and relied on grants, she said, but it wasn't enough. Still, the market is there, she said.

"If the city can pull this off with a partnership with a private company, I would love to see that happen," she said. "It's so easy to get around downtown on a bike. It's such a hassle to drive."

The venture would emulate parts of Paris's successful Vélib program - which set up rows of bikes at commuter hubs - but wouldn't operate on the same scale as the European city's 20,000 bikes, Mr. Heaps said.

"I don't think you're going to see anything of that magnitude [in Toronto]," he said.

"But it has to be convenient enough that people don't look for these things - it's there, it's convenient. It's there at their fingertips so they can take advantage of it."

This city makes me wonder sometimes. (Who am I kidding... it makes me wonder all the time.)

They've started work on adding a bike lane to my street... ONE bike lane, northbound only. In order to add this bike lane, they have to move the yellow line over. So instead of wide traffic lanes with plenty of room for cars to safely pass cyclists in both directions, we'll now have a bike lane northbound and a tight squeeze southbound. How does this improve safety or the cycling environment?

I can't help but think that the city has taken to adding bike lanes where it's easy, not where it could be useful.

People, people, can't we all just get along?

Toronto motorists are street hogs who would cream a cyclist just to get to Starbucks three seconds faster, Nathan Whitlock writes. But, as Nathan Whitlock also writes, the city's cyclists are self-important jerks who think rules are for suckers. As a guy who bikes and drives, he's got some advice for peace on the pavement

NATHAN WHITLOCK
Special to The Globe and Mail
August 23, 2008

Dear driver:

As you well know, the relationship between bikes and cars in Toronto this summer has not been a happy one. Thus, as we head into fall - a time of new beginnings - I am offering up some etiquette tips for you and your fellow drivers. After all, given how much gas costs, you may find more and more of us cyclists out there on your morning and afternoon drives. The hope is that, by making a few things clear and by setting out some very simple guidelines, we might find a way to peacefully share the road.

...And already I see have introduced a term that may be somewhat alien to you: "share." How about we make that our first point?

Share the road

We cyclists know that, when it comes to road-building and overall transportation policy, we are little more than an afterthought, at best. In this city, the car is king. The recent creation of the Toronto Cyclists Union, an advocacy and action group made up of long-time cycle activists and casual bikers alike, is a hopeful sign, but for the moment, we are at your mercy. Which is why we ask you, ever so humbly, to accept our legitimacy, to not treat bikers like intruders upon your sacred stretch of pavement. Everything else I have to offer flows from that simple request.

Look before you turn, stop, park or open the door

... and the last point refers to you, too, taxi passengers.

This is a big part of sharing the road. Lacking your protective glass-and-steel exoskeleton, we bikers are vulnerable to the slightest knock. What would perhaps be only a fender-bender or a scratch to you could to us be a life-threatening accident. Is it any wonder that the bike couriers who whip up and down Bay Street are so crazy? Asking that you check to see that we are not already occupying, or about to occupy, the space you're planning to move into seems a small consideration.

Turn off the cellphone

Especially relevant in a case where being fully aware of your surroundings is vital. Seems a bit rude to place a business call above structural integrity of our skulls.

Try a little patience

It's true that traffic congestion is always slowing you down and threatening to make you late, but really - pausing to allow bikes to pass before making a turn across their lane is not going to make things that much worse.

Slow down

There is nothing better than to be hurtling along a smooth country road in a fast car with no one around forever, but Yonge Street is not Highway 7, and there are an awful lot of us around, so take it easy.

Be forgiving

Bikers aren't angels, we're the first to admit that, and sometimes we bend and break the rules of the road - either out of self-defence or just 'cause. Don't hate us for it. After all, we're usually only risking our own lives. Which is far different from when, say, a car breaks the rules.

Dear cyclist:

Thank you for your suggestions. I especially appreciate that you were able to deliver them without banging your fist on the hood of my car, ringing your bell incessantly, or loudly suggesting that I "learn how to drive!" You must be in a good mood - did the police finally find your old bike in one of Igor Kenk's garages?

In the same spirit of helpfulness, I will offer my own etiquette suggestions for you, with a similar hope that peace will reign on our mutual commute. And I'll begin where you did, with sharing.

Share the road

I'll admit that many of my fellow drivers have trouble getting their heads around the mere fact of bicycles on a road built for cars, but remember that respect is a two-way street. Do unto others, etc., and the first step is accepting that not all drivers are dangerous morons who'd drive over you just to avoid spilling their coffee. If you want a friend, be a friend, and all that.

Pick a lane

Bike lanes, by definition, are for bikes. Assuming there's not three feet of snow or a delivery van parked in your lane, you oughta use it for all it's worth. (There's one on Harbord Street big enough for a parade of bicycles.) You stay out of our lanes and we'll stay out of yours.

Don't ride blind

Cars have blind spots - riding in one is just asking for trouble. Drivers have blind spots, too, mostly due to the concentration needed to operate a motor vehicle in a city. You see us better than we see you, so stay alert.

Lay off the bell

A little ping! now and then to ward off trouble is fine, but some of you seem to think you're handing out angel's wings out there.

No swarming

There are scenes in Mad Max 2: The Road Warrior less unnerving than having half-a-dozen cyclists suddenly passing your car on all sides at top speed.

Follow the rules

Some bikers are like children, who want rights without responsibilities, freedom without restrictions. A stop sign is a stop sign is a stop sign, and the rules of the road apply to you every bit as to me. Earn your place on the road.

Don't be so touchy

Mistakes will be made. The occasional car will make the occasional bad turn. Someone will park where they are not supposed to. A driver will open his door at an inopportune time. I don't mean to trivialize your grievances when I say that not every momentarily careless or distracted driver needs to be brought before a human rights commission.

The "two wheels good, four wheels bad" crowd may be fighting for all the right things - more bike lanes, dedicated bike paths, etc. - but political change is rarely brought about by screaming righteously at some frightened commuter from Etobicoke in his Honda Civic. If we can declare a general ceasefire, we can better focus on our mutual enemy, the real villains of the road: pedestrians.

Charges dismissed against cyclist in YouTube shove

Watch this clip of an NYPD officer forcibly knocking a Critical Mass rider to the pavement last Friday. The assault was caught on video by a bystander in Times Square. Compounding the injustice, reports Gothamist, is what happened next:

The cyclist in this video was arrested, held for 26 hours, and charged with attempted assault and resisting arrest.

From NY Daily News:
A judge dismissed charges Friday against the bicyclist who was body-checked and knocked to the pavement by a police officer in a widely viewed YouTube video.

At the prosecution's request, Criminal Court Judge James Burke dropped a charge of resisting arrest against Christopher Long, 29, of Hoboken, N.J.

Long was arrested July 25 during a Critical Mass bicycle ride through Times Square. The monthly bike rides are held around the world to draw attention to alternatives to motor vehicles.

Police said Long was arrested because he was obstructing traffic and deliberately steered his bicycle into an officer.

After the video emerged showing the policeman knocking Long to the ground, the officer, Patrick Pogan, was stripped of his badge and gun and assigned to desk duty. Police said Friday they were still investigating.

The video had been viewed some 1.5 million times since it was posted on YouTube soon after the incident. It shows Pogan shoving Long off his bike near Times Square as Long tried to steer out of the way.

As he left court, Long said he was happy not to be prosecuted and to have the case behind him. As for Pogan's account of events in the criminal complaint, he said, "The video speaks for itself."

Long's lawyer, David B. Rankin, said, "We're just very lucky this videotape surfaced, and we're very thankful the DA's office did the right thing in dropping these charges."

"This was a case where the officer's sworn testimony was contradicted by the videotape," Rankin said. "It raises serious questions about other cases that don't have the luxury of a videotape."

In the same week the Long video surfaced, videotape emerged of two other incidents showing police officers beating up civilians. Those cases were being investigated by the police and the district attorney's office.

Rankin said Long is considering a lawsuit against the city but had not yet decided.

Alicia Maxey Greene, spokeswoman for the Manhattan district attorney, said no decision had been made about whether to prosecute Pogan.

They've started work on adding a bike lane to my street... ONE bike lane, northbound only. In order to add this bike lane, they have to move the yellow line over. So instead of wide traffic lanes with plenty of room for cars to safely pass cyclists in both directions, we'll now have a bike lane northbound and a tight squeeze southbound. How does this improve safety or the cycling environment?

I can't help but think that the city has taken to adding bike lanes where it's easy, not where it could be useful.

Your example always makes me wonder if the people who design these lanes actually ride bikes. Poorly designed bike lanes are not only bad for cyclists, but bad for car traffic. One can only hope that eventually there is an understanding that such lanes can actually contribute to congestion, not alleviate it.

Boston’s First Bike Lanes a Hit With Drivers

Click on this link to Streetsblog's article on Boston's First Bike Lanes.

.resized_475x386_Comm_Ave_Bike_Lane_1.JPG

Your example always makes me wonder if the people who design these lanes actually ride bikes. Poorly designed bike lanes are not only bad for cyclists, but bad for car traffic. One can only hope that eventually there is an understanding that such lanes can actually contribute to congestion, not alleviate it.

The other day I noticed a bike lane on a short, narrow, quiet residential street running either from Dundas to Queen, or from Queen to Eastern - I can't recall which. What a waste to time putting a bike lane a small street with virtually no traffic. I guess it looked good on a map.

The people planning bike lanes don't seem to realize that you don't NEED a bike lane to cycle down a street. A bike lane simply helps reserve some space for cyclists on busy streets.

I'm reminded of how some business owners on Annette didn't want to lose parking, so the proposed bike lane was moved to quiet St. Johns, where it's unnecessary. Councillor Bill Saundercook thought of this as a compromise, though really it's a failure since it doesn't address the need for bike lanes on busier, longer, and mixed-use streets where non-recreational cyclists are most likely to want to go.

Back