News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.3K     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.1K     1 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 391     0 

G-20 Summit in Toronto

The whole thing is stupid. A bunch of politicians feeling self important and smoozing up each others posteriors, who don't seem to do much other than decide "hey, lets do this again sometime"... though it's nice the bank tax was killed. And the protesters are just the rent a mob and pissed off moaners who would still bitch even if they had all of their "demands" met... it's their job. The entire thing is foolish on both sides.

The only benefit was that I got to shoot some interesting, non-standard VIA consists thanks to them not going to Union Station. The trains between Toronto and Montreal/Ottawa were running bob-tailed (locomotive at each end since they could not turn the consists), so IMO, some good came of it :)

Buildup: Seriously? there's post after post of examples. I'm not sure if you're just illiterate or ignorant. But since you obviously have turned a blind-eye to page after page of examples here's a couple:
http://www.cbc.ca/canada/story/2010/06/28/g20-rosenfeld-police.html
http://rabble.ca/news/2010/06/eyewitness-accounts-police-brutality-and-indiscriminate-arrests
http://news.nationalpost.com/2010/06/27/12572/?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter
http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news...orm-penned-in-at-queen-street/article1621255/

Brutality is anything that goes beyond what you should expect from the police. It's deplorable that you think people need to die or have serious life-threatening injuries or that we need a Tianaman Square type of incident for the actions of this weekend to be considered brutality. For the innocent people who were attacked, detained and so on, the brutality was real, even if you and your ignorance doesn't think so.

Did you actually read those articles or just googled headliners?

any evidience of 'brutality' outside of norm?

sorry the detention centres didn't haave 500 thread count and wasn't temperature controled to 23 degrees and a 65% humidity rate.

No evidence of assault, all had access to a hearing/lawyer.. etc etc...

Yes, there might have been some mistaken identity in arrests, but considering the circumstances... hundres of protesters, mistakes will be made.
would it have been better to let the propesters continue and have a few idiots hide among the crowd and destroy all the mom and pop stores? Maybe that would have appeased the anti-police crowd.. then large coporations can come in and scoop up the properties and put a mcdonalds or a GAP.

That probably would have been a better outcome - gentrify the entire city and get all the clowns out of the core.

Last edited:
A few questions still remain regarding the activities by the police:

1. I have still seen few answers about why police were unable to prevent the anarchists from breaking windows along Yonge Street. Recall this was an hour AFTER they had done the same to the windows along Queen West. Presumably, as the protesters moved their way through the financial district and were shuttled by the police north onto Yonge, this should have given them adequate time to create some sort of police presence along the Yonge corridor.

2. The detainment of two TV producers and three news photographers warrants a number of questions, especially considering that they all had their press credentials over their neck. These credentials required an arduous security clearance process and were not handed out to just anyone. Why a simple match of personal ID with their press pass was not pursued is beyond me. The further detainment of four out of five of these journalists at the Eastern Ave. cell requires more answers.

3. You do not have to be an ardent civil libertarian demanding a Hilton Hotel experience to be concerned about the conditions at the detaining cells. A National Post writer claims he was denied water for 12 hours. If that is true, it is completely unacceptable. How difficult is it to bring in a box of Dixie cups and a jug of tap water?

4. Which leads me to my last question. Just how prepared and organized were the police? Did they expect this number of arrests to occur, or was it a last minute decision precipitated by poor crowd management and logistical errors? How were officers from Alberta and Northern Ontario able to adjust to an unfamiliar city and unique political atmosphere? A Globe journalist last night who was at the Queen/Spadina stand off said that many of the officers looked utterly confused about what to do. Many of the pedestrians on the east side of the intersection were granted access to move north away from the crowd, only to be stopped from another police line moving south along Spadina, effectively trapping them in. This incident, in addition to others over the last 48 hours, should lead to some serious questions about the officers at the top who were calling in the orders.

Let's be honest....

The term "riot whores" is being used to describe those that in their own way, participated and actively encouraged the riot element. I think the point that has been made and it makes sense is that the cops began trying to clear up the crowds, making arrests that had to be made and some of those present wouldn't leave and got caught up during the arrests.

Last edited:
What I find most odd is the seeming lack of any plan for what to do in these situations.

Everyone knew that yahoos were going to go after Starbucks and McDonalds outlets. The restaurants were prepared enough to have already boarded up their windows. But the police didn't seem to have any plan in place to stop such events. Every media outlet in the country seems to have managed to get a cameraman to the area while it was happening, but in a city filled with thousands of cops it took several hours for enough of them to arrive to stop the violence.

The same goes for Queen/Spadina. Having to deal with groups of recalcitrant protesters should hardly have come as a surprise, but the police seemed to have no plan for how to deal with a situation like this. They thus ended up uncertainly standing in the rain four hours until Blair ordered everyone released without charge.

Why shouldn't he - the Feds decided in its' infinite wisdom, in spite of countless previous examples of chaos, that holding such an event in a large city is a "good idea". Law or no law, that reality remains. Do you rather him stand up and tell the Feds to go take a hike, and that G20 isn't welcome in the city? You'd be complaining about how Miller is out of his place in that case.

AoD

Why shouldn't he - the Feds decided in its' infinite wisdom, in spite of countless previous examples of chaos, that holding such an event in a large city is a "good idea". Law or no law, that reality remains.

AoD

I'm not saying that the Feds DON'T have any responsibility. In the week leading up to the summit I've told everyone who wanted to listen that the G20 should not be held in T.O. after the example of what happened to Pittsburgh or Seattle. I certainly do blame them for stubbornly forcing the event down Toronto's throat, and doing it at the MTCC too...

That said... after it was decided to be held in Toronto, Miller and Blair must take responsibility for the ridiculous antics over the weekend. Both the lack of suppression of the BB vandals on Saturday and the jackbooted thuggery imposed Sunday on the fairly reasonable protest crowds. I'd prefer Blair resigning. But nobody ever takes responsibility for their actions, so that's unrealistic. And so, I'd accept an apology by one or the other. But there's no apology - simply a defense of their foolishness and trying to blame the Feds. Dude, you can't blame the Feds for what happened at Q&S or Pape & Eastern or in front of the Novotel.

Hi all, I thought I’d pass along my rather long first hand account of the events being a downtown resident and being right at Spadina & Queen Saturday when the riot broke out and being at right at King and Bay when the two police cruisers were torched (literally hiding behind planters as the rounds of ammunition exploded in the cruisers as the fires burned).

It was indeed a surreal scene – my wife and I were out shopping and went for a walk down to the so called peaceful protest to see first hand what was going on. I think the media and most comments I’ve seen on UrbanToronto and other forums seem to divide the crowd into the “peaceful” legitimate protestors and the Black Bloc, my experience suggests there is a large group of so called “peaceful” protestors that occupy a grey area in the middle. They weren’t black-bloc who from what I saw numbered maybe around 100, but there were several hundred other hardcore protestors who were claiming that they were being peaceful and that it was some kind of ‘police state’, yet they felt compelled to bring bandanas, ear plugs, goggles, make shift (and in some cases real) gas masks down to a ‘peaceful protest’ – it go ugly very quickly.

4736392135_9d6a22746c.jpg

A flare went off at Spadina and Queen just as tensions between the so called ‘peaceful’ protestors and police were hitting a tipping point. I just love how groups of people claiming to be peaceful wave the peace sign with their two fingers in the air while screaming at the top of their lungs as an angry mob face-to-face with police trying to provoke them so they can claim police brutality after – police showed remarkable constraint considering what I saw and I don’t think the media images on tv came anywhere close to depicting the venom and tension between police and so called ‘peaceful protestors’. The flare that went off was obviously a signal that shit was about to go down. It was also obviously coordinated to occur when tensions reached a peak and also when the police presence was drawn quite far to the west likely exposing the eastern flank.

4737039588_a6bcda133b.jpg

Within moments of the flare going off there were suddenly a significant number of black clad youths charging through the crowd moving east – the police had left Queen Street clear for the protest allowing these people to move very quickly. Many of the other so called peaceful protestors (I don’t mean to be disrespectful to the truly peaceful and legitimate protestors, but there were hundreds of non-Black Bloc protestors that essentially became an angry mob) – while these people didn’t necessarily join in on the destruction (some did) many also donned bananas and followed the lead of the Black Bloc and headed east…. Maybe not the best idea, but my wife and I decided to follow (I have sent in some photos to the police to help identify some of these thugs).

4737058552_4a9442c002.jpg

4737051706_8ffdda65cc.jpg

I saw mindless destruction on Queen. I saw a few police not armed in riot gear in full retreat running for their lives – the first time I’ve ever seen total fear for ones life in the eyes of a police officer in Toronto – it was scary. I’ve seen comments on this board about why didn’t the bystanders stop what was happening – easy to say from looking at photos and seeing images on tv. The air was so thick with tension & hostility you could cut it with a knife and it was a volatile situation. Yes there were the few black bloc, but there was also a large angry mob of people – I think Toronto was lucky to escape with only the damage that was done – had one Molotov cocktail or incendiary device been tossed in one of those stores the fire department wouldn’t have been able to get there for a long time and it would have been all too easy for a block of Queen Street to burn to the ground.

4737068814_9915ea817c.jpg

The crowd was moving quickly, my wife and I quickly fell behind but followed the damage to Bay Street – at this point the scene was surreal and the police had lost control. The Black Bloc tactic appeared to have been to draw the police westward with the general protest and move quickly to the east and head for the fence drawing the police there (the left leaning and anarchist web-sites had advertised a violent take down the fence protest) and then quickly leaving that scene to head north where the was little police presence on Yonge to cause destruction and to regroup with the larger and more peaceful protest at Queen’s Park in the hopes of blending in an not getting caught – they used the larger crowd as camouflage.

4736444191_07d71f8b23.jpg

4736447743_52862acd05.jpg

4736451247_ca983b91ef.jpg

King and Bay seemed like a war zone. My wife and I were quickly walking south when we started to see flames and suddenly the mob turned north and was in full panic sprint. I thought I heard someone yell “bomb” and a girl near us yelled “I don’t know why they are running, but just run!” – we ran north a block then we stopped and more people were heading south – at this point my wife had enough and left. I was curious (probably not a good thing). And continued to Bay and King – at this point the Black Bloc along with many other very angry protestors were trashing everything in sight and up on top of a second police car just as riot police started moving in. Many then ran east on King and I gather that’s when the rampage of Yonge street started. I think the police expected them to move south to the fence and were caught by surprise when they all went east and then north. I didn’t follow.

4737106606_03cf812571.jpg

I got caught with little options as to where to go with riot police closing in from the north, west and south – a mounted unit had also arrived on scene and myself and many others were concerned the gas tanks were going to explode and I just wanted to get as far away as possible – I kept along the edge of FCP and sprinted south to the TD pavilion and then east to Commerce Court West and hid behind the large flower planters figuring that would be somewhat safe if there was an explosion. A stupid protester was nearby yelling on a megaphone that the “police state” riot cops should all leave “because this was a peaceful protest” and the police should “stop harassing and intimidating protestors” – all while two cruisers were burning less then ten meters away and rounds of ammunition started exploding in the trunks.

4736476483_3439d74eec.jpg

Riot police moved in quickly pushing a growing mob east towards Yonge Street. At this point there were no Black Bloc, just so called regular “peaceful protestors” – all yelling at police, claiming they had the democratic right to be there and to protest and complaining of police brutality etc – all in a very very angry and confrontational manner with a backdrop of smoke and burning cruisers in the heart of the financial district. Some had their faces covered in bandanas – many didn’t. The objective of many of the so called “peaceful protestors” appeared to me to be a strategic attempt to provoke the police so they could then lay claim to a police over-reaction and brutality. I’m sorry but the charter right to peaceful assembly ends when a full scale riot begins and yet I think I heard the words “this is a peaceful protest” more then any other words uttered that afternoon.

4737119454_427431284e.jpg

I’d had enough and just wanted to go home. I tried to head north on Yonge, but police had blocked the intersection of Yonge and Richmond, I then tried going back south, but Adelaide was blocked off, so I took a mid block shortcut through a passageway and then due to other roadblocks again ended up on Bay Street.

4737126112_a8876af937.jpg

Once again there was an angry mob (again not Black Bloc) of protestors pressed up again a police line that was at least three or four officers deep. They repeatedly claimed to be peaceful – I’m sure many were and others were like me, just sort of stuck down there and observing – but a good 10% - 15% wore bandanas covering some of their face and maybe 5% - 10% had other ‘peaceful protest’ necessities such as ear plugs, goggles, various gas mask type things etc. It was very tense – they mixed different chants that ranged from comical to downright hostile towards the police – I’m rather amazed that things didn’t turn really really ugly –the people at the very front line seemed to have a single objective to provoke the police to attack – yes it was all very ‘peaceful’.

4736492607_ce4646e0e4.jpg

I managed to get out of the area and walked up Yonge Street surveying the damage on the way back to my home at Bay/College. My wife had been trapped in a lock-down at the Metro grocery store in College Park for nearly an hour while the riot took place outside – many people in the store were very scared. I saw a range of destruction on Yonge Street and again I’m amazed sections didn’t burn to the ground – all it would have taken was one Black Bloc protestor to light one store on fire and I’m certain an entire block would have burned to the ground. The damage didn’t appear to be targeted to corporate companies and seemed random at this point. I saw independent shop keepers in tears sweeping the glass up in front of their stores and people walking around in bewilderment – it was shocking to see this in my Toronto.

4737142296_64db6fb1e1.jpg

Once back home I had a front row seat from my condo balcony to the commotion at Queen’s Park. I recognize this was supposed to be a ‘safe protest zone’ and I’ve heard a lot of negative commentary about police action on this site – but I’m sorry, the peaceful protest was over and large swaths of Queen Street, the financial district and Yonge Street had just experienced a full scale riot and those that caused most of the damage were using Queen’s Park as a rendezvous point to dissipate back into the crowd. And from what I could see yes there were many peaceful protestors that got caught in a very bad situation, but there were also many challenging the police. Looming in the distance I could see a smoke column rising from Queen Street as two more torched police cars burned. In the background on the tv I could distinctly hear one protester saw something like “We are going to destroy Bloor Street now” – at this point the peaceful day was over and it was time for the police to shut everything down – it was getting dark and I truly thought that parts of the city would burn – I had just seen first hand the destruction and mind set not only of the Black Bloc, but of many many others that got caught up in the mob and in the riot – many of whom over and over again used the words “peaceful protest”…. Even an hour or so after police had broken up the protest at Queens Park I heard glass smashing at about 9:00 as the CIBC at Bay & College right across the road from Police Headquarters had all the windows smashed in.

4737163964_bd2a2b3832.jpg

Some of the events Sunday (especially at Queen & Spadina) were an obvious over-reaction by police… but given what happened Saturday and seeing it first hand we Torontonians are lucky that things didn’t tip even more out of control. There was a full scale riot on our streets and for a good couple hours despite the massive police presence, they had lost control of the streets.

Last edited:
I am wondering if this was taken out of context, having seen it a few times. Were the police trying to push the protesters back down the street so that property on the street was preserved?
Not taken out of context at all actually. I was standing about four stores to the east of Steve's music (off the left side of the frame). There wasn't any property damage going on, it was very peaceful, most people seemed to be trying to figure out what was going on at the intersection.

The rush you see there was the third one that I saw in about a 20min time span. I was about 50ft away for the first one and taken by surprise. The police fired off smoke rounds and charged the crowd, everyone freaked out and started running. My bike was facing the crowd when they turned and ran. I managed to get my bike turned around and jog away from the police. A couple of people on bikes beside me collided and went down in a heap. A guy running in front of me fell face first on the sidewalk, and scraped himself up pretty badly. I saw another guy go down and acutally get stepped on by two runners. After the first rush I gave the crowd a lot more room and had my bike facing the right way!

I stayed for the next two rushes as well before I decided to move north of Queen when it started to rain. I took shelter with about 20 other people in a small parking garage. We'd been there about 15min when a group of about 15 police on bikes came riding out of an alley towards us screaming at us to "get out, get out, get out". One officer was actually swinging his night stick at people, not to hit them, but to scare them. Everyone ran away, I took the time to put my helmet on and walked out past the police. They didn't say anything to me as I don't have the protester look at all (I'm in my late 30's and a banker).

At that point I was soaked so just decided to head home after a very interesting evening.

Overall I'd say the police were overreacting on Sunday afternoon. A number of people ended up with minor injuries due to the aggressive charges. The protesting going on was minor, most people were spectators, like me. There was no property damage and actually not that many people. On Saturday I saw the police as a good presence, protecting the city and it's people, on Sunday I felt like I had a lot more to fear from the police than anyone else out there.

http://thestar.blogs.com/g20/
10:51 a.m. Trinty-Bellwoods resident disputes police version

A man who lives in the Trinty-Bellwoods neighbourhood says he was just on his way home last night when he was corralled in the intersection of Queen and Spadina and forced to spent nearly four hours there in the pouring rain.

"We were just trying to go home," Richard Beer told CP24 this morning. "We were boxed in with nowhere to go."

Toronto Police Chief Bill Blair says people inside the human wall of police in the intersection were given three chances to leave. Beer says they weren't. And Star reporter Raveena Aulakh, who also spent hours in the intersection, says there was nothing said by police that people could leave.

Before police boxed people in, she had heard they shouted a warning. But not afterwards.

Most of the people standing around him in the downpour were just bystanders, Beer says.

A friend who volunteered to go was sent single file through a police line but then was put into a Court Services van and taken to Scarborough. Hours later, she was dropped off at Kennedy subway station, where Beer and friends collected her.

Blair insisted earlier this morning that people were asked to leave three times. The ones who stayed, in his opinion, were "facilitating" the others in the group intent on violence.

I think the point is that after what happened on sat and the apparent lack of a police preseence on Yonge with the violence unfolding, the mood on sunday was that the police had to respond in much more serious manner to any gathering of protestors.

From what I know, the people at Queen and Spadina were warned 3 times to leave, didn't and then the police moved in. You had to be either bone-headed or completely naive to think that you can just take over a street interesection the day after riots and violence downtown and expect nothing to happen.

And when police in riot gear ask you to leave 3 times and you refuse? What did any of these people think was going to happen?

Last edited:
From what I know, the people at Queen and Spadina were warned 3 times to leave, didn't and then the police moved in. You had to be either bone-headed or completely naive to think that you can just take over a street interesection the day after riots and violence downtown and expect nothing to happen.

The only people who say those folks were warned 3 times was Blair and Miller. Neither of whom were actually at Q&S.

- Globe and Mail reporter at Q&S says there was no warning
- TheStar reporter at Q&S says there was no warning
- UT forum member who just posted 2 posts above you says there was no warning
- various others posting to twitter, blogs, etc. says there was no warning

Sorry dude, but you're a tool if you continue to insist on following the "official story" of that particular incident.

This guy from the Guardian thinks the cops blew up their own cruiser:

Many Canadians have become suspicious of police tactics since the Quebec police force admitted that it had disguised three of its own officers as rock-wielding anarchists in an attempt to provoke violence at a peaceful protest in the town of Montebello two years ago. Somewhat farcically, the three were exposed as agents provocateurs when they were found to be wearing official issue police boots identical to those of the uniformed officers "arresting" them.

There are concerns that similar skulduggery may have played a part in Toronto this weekend, where the burning of three police cars quickly became the defining image of Saturday's otherwise peaceful demonstration. Questions are being asked as to why the police chose to drive the vehicles into the middle of a group of protesters and then abandon them, and why there was no attempt to put out the flames until the nation's media had been given time to record the scenes for broadcast around the world.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisfree/2010/jun/27/g20-toronto-policing-charade

Thanks for that in-depth recap Mike. It's commendable that you are providing photos of the genuine criminals to police as evidence.

Of course many non violent or non protesters got swept up in things, how could they not - but that doesn't automatically equal brutality or suppression of rights. It may have been extremely inconvenient and unpleasant and worthy of an apology of sorts, but that's it. I know many people who lived in the area had things to do, but there was a freakin international event going on with riot police on the streets. If there weren't so many media, gawkers and wannabe media then it would have been far less likely that the police acted the way they did towards the crowd of 200 or so. It would have been far easier to distinguish 50 protesters from 20 or 30 people waiting for streetcars or walking their dogs. The 100 or so extra bodies lingering made the situation more confusing and when orders were given to hem the protesters in they had no choice but to include everyone, old ladies included.

I do think they could have screened through people far more quickly - being held up and hour would have been more acceptable to almost anyone considering the events - so answers are needed as to why it took so long. The rain just made it a lot worse.

This guy from the Guardian thinks the cops blew up their own cruiser:
That's not what the link says at all. It questioned why they were abandoned where they were and why they were allowed to burn so long, but NOT that the police actually torched the cruisers themselves.

Last edited:

Back