News   Jul 03, 2024
 284     1 
News   Jul 03, 2024
 487     0 
News   Jul 03, 2024
 321     0 

G-20 Summit in Toronto

Of course I'm aware that the money doesn't grow on trees - what I meant obviously - is no ADDITIONAL money would need to come from the taxpayer becuase we would take that money out of the bloated Police budget.
That's a fantasy. It would ALL come from taxpayers.

What is the point of having all these cops if they don't intervene in stopping crimes. As for fulfilling "100% of their mandate without fail" the police did not satisfy ANY of their mandate. Their failure rate was 100%.

Thanks Peeps, I'm glad you made this comment because now i can feel comfortable dropping this discussion (after these closing comments) as its obviously a waste of time. We had seen other cities hosting G20 having their downtowns trashed; we had neferious people darkly alluding to actions they planned for Toronto not disavowing violent actions. With this backdrop Toronto spent $150 million (not $1 billion as reported) on security. A few windows were broken, a cruiser burnt, the feelings of a few middle class students were hurt. NO-ONE, ABSOLUTELY NO-ONE can point to any injuries worse than might occur in a high school rudgy match. This despite the presence of thousands of over-muscled cops. Honestly, if they had rough you'd have more than a "bruise" to point to.

So, they did a fine job. You claim their "failure rate was 100%."

A few windows were broken, a cruiser burnt, the feelings of a few middle class students were hurt. NO-ONE, ABSOLUTELY NO-ONE can point to any injuries worse than might occur in a high school rudgy match.
Your forgetting that they arrested more than double the number of people than at any other time in Canadian history. In 48-hours they arrested more than twice the number of people than who were arrested nation-wide during weeks of martial law in October 1970.

The arrest of so many people in October 1970, many without cause, lead to a decade of investigations and royal commissions, that changed how policing is done federally in this country. Yet at the same time, some were charged with some very serious crimes, including murder and kidnapping.

On this occasion we have double the arrests, but nothing that compares in terms of actual crime.

Something smells. There was gross abuse of power by the police, along with some isolated cases of abuse, and this needs to be investigated

And it is being investigated. We have the police board and the various review panel type groups for a reason. There is no reason to believe that things that went wrong with on the ground policing won't be analyzed and fixed.

It's strange that you're saying it's been extensively reported because I never saw this reported on any of the other media. None of my friends saw or heard this either. Why haven't any of us seen or heard this?

Apparently, you and your friends are being willfully ignorant, or are just not as informed as you'd like to think you are.

And it is being investigated. We have the police board and the various review panel type groups for a reason. There is no reason to believe that things that went wrong with on the ground policing won't be analyzed and fixed.
There is some reason for hope ... though I'd think that that at least a provincial level enquiry is necessary to get to the situation. Perhaps federal level if the preliminary enquiries indicate their culpability. But perhaps it is best to wait for the results of the initial enquiries before starting another one.

Thanks Peeps, I'm glad you made this comment because now i can feel comfortable dropping this discussion (after these closing comments) as its obviously a waste of time. We had seen other cities hosting G20 having their downtowns trashed; we had neferious people darkly alluding to actions they planned for Toronto not disavowing violent actions. With this backdrop Toronto spent $150 million (not $1 billion as reported) on security. A few windows were broken, a cruiser burnt, the feelings of a few middle class students were hurt. NO-ONE, ABSOLUTELY NO-ONE can point to any injuries worse than might occur in a high school rudgy match. This despite the presence of thousands of over-muscled cops. Honestly, if they had rough you'd have more than a "bruise" to point to.

So, they did a fine job. You claim their "failure rate was 100%."

+1

I'm with you on this! - people were warned to stay away from the downtown core and what do they do - flock there in droves - I don't feel one bit sorry for anyone who was arrested. They had no business being on the street if they didn't want to get into trouble. I praise the police for their actions! These alledged "victims" needed to visit Pittsburg in '09 to witness first hand what real police brutality and protestor anarchy looks like. Spending one night in jail for knowingly being in the wrong place at the wrong time seems appropriate.

Rules of engagement change as the situation warrants. The summit was over (on the Sunday)... and so was the allowable protest window. The people were requested to disperse several times.

The Anarchists should have been immediately detained, but that is impossible to do with hundreds of other peaceful protestors and observers in the middle. These destructive, deviant, lawless, black clad bunch know this, and are ready to run to various planned areas to quickly unrobe the black garb, showing up again with non-black casual clothing. There have their routine down, and know the area well. They knew their tactics!

Funny... all the focus is on the police, not the Anarchists! If the police would have moved in to swoop up the group, there would have been multiple injuries on both sides, and many innocent observer/protestor injuries. They tried to avoid that. The entire police force didn't do anything. Individuals did things and should be held accountable individually. Your average cop isn't the culprit unless he's one of the small minority that's guilty of misconduct.

I'm with you on this! - people were warned to stay away from the downtown core and what do they do - flock there in droves - I don't feel one bit sorry for anyone who was arrested.

Gee, I wonder why all the malls and stores were open...I guess they didn't get the warning.

Spending one night in jail for knowingly being in the wrong place at the wrong time seems appropriate.

You feel it was appropriate to throw accredited media members in jail?

Don't fall off your high horse, you my hurt your fragile little self.

Gee, I wonder why all the malls and stores were open...I guess they didn't get the warning.

I'm certain idle spectators outnumbered those whom had legitimate reasons to be down there. Only an approximate 2000 residents live within the security zone. They'd be known by police and likely comprised only a small margin of those detained.

You feel it was appropriate to throw accredited media members in jail?

Don't fall off your high horse, you my hurt your fragile little self.

Rules of engagement change as the situation warrants.

If the the Block Bloc anarchist types had hoped to allude police capture via blending into the crowd at Queen/Spadina, the most logical move by police would be to surround and detain everyone allowing for no chance to escape. It's unfortunate that a few of the officers likely went on a power trip but to cast the entire police force, McGuinty, Harper as absolute wrongdoers in this whole mess; when there's countless documentation of the protesters themselves (not Black Bloc) taunting and physically provoking the police - borders on lunacy. I feel the damage would have been far worse had the police not been present. How people can honestly sit at home wondering how Toronto could go through a summit of this magnitude where anarchists are anticipated and not expect that there'll be a few broken windows and arrests is beyond me.

Only an approximate 2000 residents live within the security zone. They'd be known by police and likely comprised only a small margin of those detained.
The majority of the arrests were not in the security zone.

Something you might know, if you were actually familiar with this city you despise, rather than spending all your time in the suburbs.

The most brutal violence appears to have been reserved for the media. Surely they HAD to be there; are you suggesting the media should have stayed away?

I'm certain idle spectators outnumbered those whom had legitimate reasons to be down there. Only an approximate 2000 residents live within the security zone. They'd be known by police and likely comprised only a small margin of those detained.

You don't seem to be comprehending what is written.

Apparently, you and your friends are being willfully ignorant, or are just not as informed as you'd like to think you are.

No we aren't willifully ignorant.

Not one of us saw any extensive coverage of media being bashed alongside protestors during the summit in any other media. Not on tv or in the papers. No one at work saw this either. Why is it that not one person that I know saw any real coverage by the medica about the horrific police brutality against not just the protestors being arrested and detained, but also some media as well and them being beaten while being detained later?

Can you explain this?

Not one of us saw any extensive coverage of media being bashed alongside protestors during the summit in any other media. Not on tv or in the papers.

This is meaningless....watch TVO sometime, you might have seen Paiken talk about it...read a paper sometime, you might have caught the article....I don't really care that you and your friends aren't well informed, it proves nothing about the situation , other then your own lack of knowledge.

Why is it that not one person that I know saw any real coverage by the medica about the horrific police brutality against not just the protestors being arrested and detained,

I don't know...your heads are buried in the sand? Why is it that you (and your firends) seem to be the only ones denying that this took place. Willful ignorance, perhaps.

No we aren't willifully ignorant.

Not one of us saw any extensive coverage of media being bashed alongside protestors during the summit in any other media. Not on tv or in the papers. No one at work saw this either. Why is it that not one person that I know saw any real coverage by the medica about the horrific police brutality against not just the protestors being arrested and detained, but also some media as well and them being beaten while being detained later?

Can you explain this?
Perhaps you consider the Sun a newspaper? :)

Seriously though, I walked into work on the Monday and commented that I hadn't seen a report of brutality, and it took about 30 seconds for a co-worker to point me to Steve Paikin's reports. I then saw other things in the newspaper, on the CBC's website, and also on television.

Though I can perhaps understand that someone who is bored with G20 coverage, might have missed it. What I don't understand, is that it has been mentioned several times in this thread that you do read. Perhaps you can explain how you've managed not to notice this?

Back