News   Mar 18, 2024
 672     0 
News   Mar 18, 2024
 2.4K     4 
News   Mar 18, 2024
 752     0 

Future of the Hearn Generating Station

Something fishy about this. How can a company that is merely leasing the station obtain a demolition permit for the building? Ontario Power Generation claims it is not behind the demolition permit.

I believe the lease is structured as a land lease which means OPG owns the land but they own the structures

The Hearn has been 75% demo'd already and the exterior looks very different than the summertime aerial photos. There is no longer a physical connection between the stack and the building. Still think what remains should be adapted for reuse though

Last edited:
I believe the lease is structured as a land lease which means OPG owns the land but they own the structures

The Hearn has been 75% demo'd already and the exterior looks very different than the summertime aerial photos. There is no longer a physical connection between the stack and the building. Still think what remains should be adapted for reuse though

I'm not sure what you mean by "no longer a physical connection between the stack and the building". As of two weeks ago, it didn't look like any demolition has taken place or any change other than the state of disrepair evident at the site. The ducting was still very much connecting the stack to the building.

Some minor structures connected to the exterior have been removed, but it looks quite similar to that aerial. The interior, on the other hand has seen a lot of demolition but there's still so much left.

Never, I hope. I'd personally rather see it kept and floodlit.
Heck, I'd rather see people bungee jumping off it than have it demolished. Not to give any unwarranted thanks to the Ford's Portlands scheme, but I think having it become a slender little observation tower might be a nice landmark for the area. That put it at about the same height as the Sky Tower (minus the antenna) in Auckland, or the entire Fernsehturm in Stuttgart.

Last edited:
Last edited:
I'm incredibly glad this city didn't have more people like you to tear down the Flatiron, St. Lawrence Market, etc. when these were in the cards.

I'm incredibly glad this city didn't have more people like you to tear down the Flatiron, St. Lawrence Market, etc. when these were in the cards.

Well, you gotta remember: hawc's also blithely proposed plowing an expressway through this intersection

1247607741902078.jpeg

Easy there cowboy. Where did I say I wanted to tear down the Flatiron or St. Lawrence Market? I love those two buildings. I'm saying tear down a smokestack. And possibly an ugly old industrial box of a building beside it. (And possibly Yonge Street from Bloor to the Lake)

Back