News   Mar 18, 2024
 774     0 
News   Mar 18, 2024
 2.6K     4 
News   Mar 18, 2024
 774     0 

Future of the Hearn Generating Station

So, playing out one eventuality: Council approves the heritage designation. The developer that got the land here for a song from Doug submits a proposal that includes knocking this thing down. That proposal is reviewed and rejected by Planning, and that rejection proposal is affirmed by Council.

So what happens then? Does the province have a mechanism of overriding the refusal report, or is the LPAT the next logical destination?

City moves to protect key waterfront heritage sites from demolition

Hearn generating station and CNE grounds will be discussed at preservation board meeting

Philip Lee-Shanok · CBC News · Posted: Feb 24, 2019 6:00 AM ET

Council just voted nearly unanimously (Holyday against, because he is awful) to designate the Hearn as a heritage property.

Edit: Oh, and Ford, too, on a re-vote (because he's also awful and probably also because his family will get kick-backs from the proceeds of the future re-development ¯\(ツ)/¯ ).

Last edited:
So, playing out one eventuality: Council approves the heritage designation. The developer that got the land here for a song from Doug submits a proposal that includes knocking this thing down. That proposal is reviewed and rejected by Planning, and that rejection proposal is affirmed by Council.

So what happens then? Does the province have a mechanism of overriding the refusal report, or is the LPAT the next logical destination?
Province would have to re-write the Heritage Act.
Ontario Heritage Act, R.S.O. 1990, c. O.18

For reasons I do not understand, they are building a wooden fence outside the Hearn along Unwin. It looks As though there will be metal or ?? On top of the wood. Odd!
Photo of said fence...

IMG_0248[1].JPG

Previous fence (just to remind folks of what this is replacing).

1602615688017.png

Can't say what was is a big loss................but doesn't look like what's new is much of a gain, thus far.

Previous fence (just to remind folks of what this is replacing).

View attachment 276396

Can't say what was is a big loss................but doesn't look like what's new is much of a gain, thus far.
Agreed but one wonders why anyone is bothering and I bet the wooden + ??? fence is more expensive than a simple replacement wire fence.

Likewise Agree..................add another question.

1602628732646.png

Does it look to you like the old fence (where I assume the new fence is being built is 2.4M or more from the lot line in pink?

From the City's fence by-law (note the actual graphic is longer and contains more options)

1602628847974.png

If it's within 2.4M of the lot line, it would seem to be subject to a 1.2M height limit.

Outside that 2M

There are provisions for taller fences in the full table.............

Hmmm

Likewise Agree..................add another question.

View attachment 276508

Does it look to you like the old fence (where I assume the new fence is being built is 2.4M or more from the lot line in pink?

From the City's fence by-law (note the actual graphic is longer and contains more options)

View attachment 276509

If it's within 2.4M of the lot line, it would seem to be subject to a 1.2M height limit.

Outside that 2M

There are provisions for taller fences in the full table.............

Hmmm
You could complain to 311 if you felt like tugging a few chains!

You could complain to 311 if you felt like tugging a few chains!

I don't know if I care enough, about this particular fence/site just at the moment; maybe we'll let them finish and see what it looks like! LOL

Then I can decide whether to be THAT neighbour (who doesn't actually live in the area) LOL

Reactions: DSC
So....... @AlvinofDiaspar being who he is........made me curious.....when he referenced Behnisch Architekten in another thread.

Which made me wonder what they had, or might have done, in Toronto.

So it turns out, they did a re-use study for The Hearn back in 2007-2008.

This was actually discussed in this thread, in 2014, but I don't see the renders posted.

1616083299576.png

1616083310944.png

1616083323925.png

1616083334183.png

Back