News   Apr 18, 2024
 490     1 
News   Apr 18, 2024
 1.5K     3 
News   Apr 18, 2024
 377     0 

Future of Canada's Boundaries

There is a "burrough" of Kenora called Keewatin, so you'd likely have some trouble with that name being adopted from other municipalities.
You'd probably find more support for joining Manitoba up to Thunder Bay, and then a new province from TBay to North Bay.

Interesting idea. Of course, that would have Manitoba become the largest province in Canada (by territory) by a long shot. The question still remains whether or not Manitoba would actually want that extra area, or if Northern Ontario residents would go from being "drowned out" by Southern Ontario to being "drowned out" by the rest of Manitoba. At least if they were in their own Province, they would have control of their own affairs.

Ta6kvZ4.jpg

A map I made of what could possible be the future map of NA. This is obviously a joke, so don't take it too seriously. :cool:

Anyways, here's how it could happen:

-After years of Democratic rule and overreaching gov't power, Texas forms an alliance with southern states to leave the United States
-After a few months of fighting, the New England states decide that they want nothing to do with this and request permission from Ottawa to join the Republic of Canada (yup, we got rid of King George). There is little military resistance to this move since the Americans are focused on defeating Texas.
-Texas is successfully able to annex states as far north as the Canadian border. American forces are able to prevent them from annexing Michigan, Illinois, Wyoming and the Atlantic States and Pacific States.
-Fighting between Texas and United States dies down for a few months. American reunification seems to be a lost cause.
-Texas becomes uncomfortable with the United States having control of the entire west coast. Texas demands that California, Oregon and Washington either join Texas or leave the United States.
-The states refuse, and for a few weeks there are a few skirmishes.
-Tired of having to defend territories across the continent, the United States permits California, Oregon and Washington to leave the Union on the condition that they can't join Texas.
-The three states hold a referendum asking if they should join Canada or become independent. They vote to join Canada.
-Hawaii is now separated from the United States by a Texas and Canada. Hawaii feels that they are being ignored, vulnerable to attack and their economy is the worst in the Union. They request that the United States end their occupation of Hawaii and vote to join Canada. The United States never formally responds to Hawaii's request to end the occupation, but the US doesn't retaliate when they declare themselves as independent from the United States.
-Alaska was in the same situation as Hawaii. They follow in Hawaii's footsteps and join Canada.
-Mexico, seeing the weakened state of the Texas military, demands that Texas return territory stolen from them during the American expansion. At this point, Mexico has a much larger military and economy than Texas. Having lost over 40% of their population to fighting, Texas agrees to Mexico's demand.
-20 years after the war started, Texas, the United States, Mexico and Canada agree that it is time to end hostilities. A treaty is signed, recognizing the new boundaries of these nations. But some stupid UT member having too much fun in Adobe Illustrator accidentally paints Michigan, Illinois and Indiana blue and nobody in the US noticed. These lands are now part of Canada.
-Florida remains independent because apparently nobody likes them in the US.

And of course, the UK gave up control of Turks and Caicos years before this all started.

As I said before, this is all in humour. :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Interesting idea. Of course, that would have Manitoba become the largest province in Canada (by territory) by a long shot. The question still remains whether or not Manitoba would actually want that extra area, or if Northern Ontario residents would go from being "drowned out" by Southern Ontario to being "drowned out" by the rest of Manitoba. At least if they were in their own Province, they would have control of their own affairs.

I'm not sure there is a ton of places or issues in Manitoba that would be as aggressive as Southern Ontario. There are only a few major centers in NWO anyways, and I don't doubt they'd feel less dwarfed as a whole in Manitoba where there is only one to compete with.

Should Greenland and Iceland join to Canada?
I've found a Facebook group in advocacy of ending Denmark's jurisdiction over Greenland to make it province of Canada:

http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=120700279376

The Greenlanders have already declared homerule and will only continue to strive for their independence. It's certainly something they could feasibly form a movement to have a referendum on.

I've also found an interesting article proposing Iceland become a province following its recent financial meltdown:

http://yglesias.thinkprogress.org/archives/2008/10/a_canadian_solution.php

Also, a side note, I went ahead and created a map for my secession idea. Ontario is way too big, both geographically and in terms of population. It could theoretically be broken into six provinces, that could each govern their territories more effectively:

Northwestern: pop. 225,000; capital Thunder Bay
Northeastern: pop. 500,000; capital Sudbury
Central: pop. 760,000; capital Barrie
Eastern: pop. 2M; capital Kingston
Southwestern: pop. 3M, capital London
GTA/Horseshoe: pop. 7M capital Toronto

And I suppose Ottawa could be a separate National Capital Region, along with Gatineau. But each of these provinces would be bigger than PEI. New names would have to be decided upon.

jhyWqCB.png

4go3E1T.png

Last edited by a moderator:
Which province would Manitoulin Island be in?

Owen Sound can be a good candidate for the capital of "Central."

Whichever they want, but I'm assuming Northeast. I chose Barrie over Owen Sound because it's bigger and centrally located.

While We're at it, I also support the provincehood movements for Vancouver Island and Cape Breton, as well as the three territories. Combining those with my Ontario proposal gives Canada 20 provinces.

But I suppose this is discussion is off the topic of Transit maps.

Last edited:
Whichever they want, but I'm assuming Northeast. I chose Barrie over Owen Sound because it's bigger and centrally located.

While We're at it, I also support the provincehood movements for Vancouver Island and Cape Breton, as well as the three territories. Combining those with my Ontario proposal gives Canada 20 provinces.

But I suppose this is discussion is off the topic of Transit maps.

But it does fit in to another thread - maybe someone can move it.

http://urbantoronto.ca/forum/showthread.php/19408-Future-of-Canada-s-Boundaries/page3

If Ontario gets 6 Provinces, then

BC gets 3 (Vancouver Island, Greater Vancouver, Remainder)
Alberta gets 1 or 2
Sask gets 1
Manitoba gets 1
Ontario gets 6
Quebec gets 4 (Montreal, Quebec, North, Eastern Twp & Gaspe)
NB gets 1
PEI gets 1
NS gets 2! (I would have thought 1, but you say 2)
NL and Lab gets 2 (Newfie and Labrador).
Each Territory gets 1.

Total +/-25

I believe that Turks & Caicos (and St. Pierre and Miquelon) should be a part of Canada. Greenland should leave Denmark and join Canada. After all, the culture of Greenland is much closer to Canadian culture than it is to Danish culture. Iceland should be a part of Canada. Point Roberts and the Northwest Angle of Minnesota should be a part of Canada. Campobello Island should be a part of the United States.

TTM's map is very interesting. However, the Republic of Texas at the end should be renamed Louisiana, Mississippi, or Missouri.

As many said, I am in favour of splitting Northern Ontario (and name it Keewatin) and Southern Ontario, which gets to keep the Ontario name. Not just that, but Ottawa and Gatineau should split from their respective provinces and become the National Capital Region. It would be much larger than the District of Columbia.

Last edited:
I believe that Turks & Caicos (and St. Pierre and Miquelon) should be a part of Canada. Greenland should leave Denmark and join Canada. After all, the culture of Greenland is much closer to Canadian culture than it is to Danish culture. Iceland should be a part of Canada. Point Roberts and the Northwest Angle of Minnesota should be a part of Canada. Campobello Island should be a part of the United States.

TTM's map is very interesting. However, the Republic of Texas at the end should be renamed Louisiana, Mississippi, or Missouri.

As many said, I am in favour of splitting Northern Ontario (and name it Keewatin) and Southern Ontario, which gets to keep the Ontario name. Not just that, but Ottawa and Gatineau should split from their respective provinces and become the National Capital Region. It would be much larger than the District of Columbia.

What?

I agree with your Ontario changes though.

I believe that Turks & Caicos (and St. Pierre and Miquelon) should be a part of Canada.

The problem with allowing the Turks & Caicos is that they would become a haven for people sneaking into Canada. The minute they're land on those shores (sometimes by any means necessary) they would technically be in Canada, and then would be able to travel domestically to mainland Canada. Also, the amount of money that would need to be pumped in there in order to bring it up to Canadian standards (healthcare, wages, etc) would be ridiculous.

That "island entrance problem" would hardly be unique to Canada. Just look at Lampedusa in the Mediterranean. It's technically part of Italy, and has been a big entry point for African migrants into Europe. Many of those ferries carrying African migrants that sank were bound for Lampedusa. And because once they're there they're technically in Europe, they can travel anywhere within the European Union without any border checks.

The problem with allowing the Turks & Caicos is that they would become a haven for people sneaking into Canada. The minute they're land on those shores (sometimes by any means necessary) they would technically be in Canada, and then would be able to travel domestically to mainland Canada. Also, the amount of money that would need to be pumped in there in order to bring it up to Canadian standards (healthcare, wages, etc) would be ridiculous.

That "island entrance problem" would hardly be unique to Canada. Just look at Lampedusa in the Mediterranean. It's technically part of Italy, and has been a big entry point for African migrants into Europe. Many of those ferries carrying African migrants that sank were bound for Lampedusa. And because once they're there they're technically in Europe, they can travel anywhere within the European Union without any border checks.
Well then, I am proposing that Turks & Caicos, Greenland, and Iceland have some autonomy but part of Canada. Being in Turks & Caicos should not mean that it would be easy to get to Toronto. Another layer of security is needed between Turks & Caicos and the rest of Canada.

At least Canada would get tropical territory.

Culturally, geographically, it feels like the whole North East US & Great Lakes area would be grouped together as a country.
This would include, Boston to Washington DC (New York), New England, Upstate New York, Toronto, Detroit, Chicago.

Back