News   Apr 18, 2024
 224     0 
News   Apr 18, 2024
 550     0 
News   Apr 17, 2024
 1.9K     0 

Future of Canada's Boundaries

If we are going to kick the poorest regions out of Ontario, might as well throw out places like Rexdale and Jane-Finch as well. The rich get richer, I don't mind that at all.

I've played with the idea of redistributing Canada myself:

BAI2-HjCYAEYD5o.jpg

http://goo.gl/maps/r1ppr

More of this on this thread.

Last edited:
If we are going to kick the poorest regions out of Ontario, might as well throw out places like Rexdale and Jane-Finch as well. The rich get richer, I don't mind that at all.

I think it would be more for them to control their own destiny, as opposed to "kicking out the poor areas". Right now I can tell you a lot of people in the north feel like they don't have much of a say, that they're drowned out by the people in the south.

I've played with the idea of redistributing Canada myself:

I've played with the idea too. Here's what I came up with:

Provincial Redistribution.jpg

Attachments

• Provincial Redistribution.jpg
    Provincial Redistribution.jpg
    83.2 KB · Views: 2,377
here's my version 1...
8234049534_d01997c90c_c.jpg

-Vancouver Island
-Northern BC boundary moved to watershed
-Northern aboriginal territories in Quebec, NWT and Labrador (Nunavik, Eeyou Istchee James Bay Territory, Nunatsiavut, Inuvialuit)
-Mantario
-Four City Regions (TO, VAN, MTL, OTT)
-Southwestern Ontario
-Northeastern + Central Ontario
-Eastern Ontario (this could be merged with Northeastern + Central Ontario)
-Maritime Union

Last edited:
I am amused though by the new province of "Newfoudland and Labrador" which seems to have the same boundaries as Newfoundland and Labrador. :)
New? Prime Minister Chretien got the Canadian constitution amended for that one back in 2001?

I've done a version 2:

2rogi14.jpg

CANADIAN FEDERATION

CANADA
Provinces
Vancouver - Victoria
British Columbia - Prince George
Alberta - Edmonton
Saskatchewan - Regina
Manitoba - Winnipeg
Northern Ontario - Thunder Bay
Southern Ontario - Toronto
Acadia - Amherst
Newfoundland - St. John's

Territories
Yukon - Whitehorse
Northwest Terrirory - Yellowknife
Nunavut - Iqualuit
Ungava - Kuujjuaq

QUEBEC - Quebec City
MONTREAL (Special Administrative District)

Hi everyone, I'm new to the forums. Haljackey posted this thread on Facebook and I found it really interesting, so I had a stab at it.

Here's what I think is likely to happen: Turks & Caicos, and Iceland, both join Canada as provinces. Ontario is split into two based on Northern Ontario's distaste for the rest of Ontario, and the line I've drawn is actually representative of the way people feel based on who I've met that live in various areas of Ontario (e.g. people from Eganville don't feel part of Southern/Eastern Ontario as much as they do Northern Ontario). Canada itself doesn't lose any land/areas in the process. Longer explanations available on the map itself.

More speculatively: BC joins WA and OR to form Cascadia. AK joins Canada because it's tired of being ignored by the US feds and AK's need for climate change adaptation. VT and MN also join Canada as they see the benefit of medicare, and enhanced environmental protection that isn't bulldozed by the feds. AB leaves, falls on its face because of over-reliance on oil, then joins Canada again.

http://goo.gl/YRTpmJ

canada-2050.jpg

I'm interested to hear your thoughts.

Attachments

• canada-2050.jpg
    canada-2050.jpg
    17.4 KB · Views: 1,389
Hi everyone, I'm new to the forums. Haljackey posted this thread on Facebook and I found it really interesting, so I had a stab at it.

Here's what I think is likely to happen: Turks & Caicos, and Iceland, both join Canada as provinces.

I could see the Turks and Caicos although more likely as a territory than as a province given its population. As for Iceland, I could see them opting to join the federation as a member nation but maintaining much of their independence. The Krona's value would be tied with the Canadian Dollar and Canadians would be able to travel there freely, although they would maintain self-governance. I could also see Haiti joining Canada under similar conditions.

More speculatively: BC joins WA and OR to form Cascadia.

Unless the US completely falls apart politically, I can't see BC breaking off. It would actually be more likely for Washington/Oregon to join Canada if that were to happen. I can however see the Greater Vancouver/Island region entering into a border agreement in which US border control would be relocated to one of the 4 roads connecting Greater Vancouver to the rest of Canada allowing for free movement of people in and out of the Vancouver region.

AK joins Canada because it's tired of being ignored by the US feds and AK's need for climate change adaptation.

There is a huge amount of patriotism that exists in Alaska, and it is too valuable of an asset for the US in both territory and resources to simply let leave.

VT and MN also join Canada as they see the benefit of medicare, and enhanced environmental protection that isn't bulldozed by the feds.

This could only happen if the US were to completely dissolve, in which case, the US northeast would probably just form a new nation under the same name. Perhaps at that point a Schengen-Type deal could be arranged for travel (once the US dollar is no longer the dominant currency).

AB leaves, falls on its face because of over-reliance on oil, then joins Canada again.

Hah! I wish, but parliament probably won't let that happen.

I've done a version 2:

CANADIAN FEDERATION

CANADA
Provinces
Vancouver - Victoria
British Columbia - Prince George
Alberta - Edmonton
Saskatchewan - Regina
Manitoba - Winnipeg
Northern Ontario - Thunder Bay
Southern Ontario - Toronto
Acadia - Amherst
Newfoundland - St. John's

Territories
Yukon - Whitehorse
Northwest Terrirory - Yellowknife
Nunavut - Iqualuit
Ungava - Kuujjuaq

QUEBEC - Quebec City
MONTREAL (Special Administrative District)

Very similar to what I had proposed, so naturally I like it, haha. Different names, but same idea.

Is your border between Northern and Southern Ontario the southern edge of Nippissing and Parry Sound Districts too? Or did you have something else in mind?

Very similar to what I had proposed, so naturally I like it, haha. Different names, but same idea.

Is your border between Northern and Southern Ontario the southern edge of Nippissing and Parry Sound Districts too? Or did you have something else in mind?

Yup, I pretty much followed the southern boundaries of the Nippishing, Parry sound, and Renfrew districts as a guide. The Quebec part of Ungava also mimics the Nord-Du Quebec border.

Yup, I pretty much followed the southern boundaries of the Nippishing, Parry sound, and Renfrew districts as a guide. The Quebec part of Ungava also mimics the Nord-Du Quebec border.

The Nord-du-Quebec border makes a lot of sense. I mainly used regional boundaries for my border, but that certainly makes sense as well, and is a lot cleaner. Where does the name Ungava come from? Just curious. I used Kativik because it's the name of an area in the north of Quebec. And I used Keewatin for Northern Ontario because that was the name of the former district in that area (before the extension of Ontario and Manitoba to their current borders).

I don't think a lot of people would object to that name change, and having Southern Ontario keep the "Ontario" name, seeing as how that was the original part of Ontario. As I mentioned, it wasn't until Ontario got it's current borders that the majority of Northern Ontario actually became "Ontario".

And I used Keewatin for Northern Ontario because that was the name of the former district in that area (before the extension of Ontario and Manitoba to their current borders).

There is a "burrough" of Kenora called Keewatin, so you'd likely have some trouble with that name being adopted from other municipalities.
You'd probably find more support for joining Manitoba up to Thunder Bay, and then a new province from TBay to North Bay.

Back