News   Mar 28, 2024
 180     0 
News   Mar 27, 2024
 1.9K     1 
News   Mar 27, 2024
 1.2K     2 

FOX News

That being said, I'd agree with the general contention that Americans travel less outside their country. But I have always felt that a lot of that has to do with the fact that there's a lot to see in the US and its far cheaper to do so than to travel abroad. By comparison how many Canadians really want to vacation in Saskatchewan or Manitoba?

Agreed. I'm always amazed at the vast breadth and depth of what there is to experience in America, from sea to shining sea so to speak. Vast swaths of Canada are inaccessible and unpopulated and there really are only just so many places that one would want to go out of their way for. The 'lets see America' family treck in the station-wagon (or SUV these days I suppose) is part of American culture, and it takes several years of venturing out in different directions to truly accomplish it.

^ It's not necessarily a bad thing either. It's something I wish Canadians would emulate more. How many Canadians really make an effort to see the breadth of this great country? We prize ourselves on traipsing through Europe but never make the effort to see many of the wonders in our own backyard. And that's sad. Nothing would unite us more, than spending more time visiting each other. I have always thought it sad that most Canadians I've met would prefer a café on the banks of the Seine to a canoe on Lake Louise. International travel can broaden the mind…but so can national travel. I would wish for more Canadians to develop a balanced approach to their vacation travel.

Being knowledgeable and passionate about Canada also makes Canadians more interesting to others. Same goes with Ontario. Persistent humbling self-deprecation just registers as blandness to others...

I have friends who found themselves depressed at the thought of a week off this summer with no plans when their vacation fell through. It didn't even occur to them to spend it 'at home' and when I mentioned it their response was complete disinterest. I just don't get it. We are surrounded by three of the great lakes, each within a day's drive. There are provincial and national parks all around, as well as museums and historic sites. The Stratford Festival is in full swing. The nation's capital is an easy scenic drive ( or cruise via the Rideau Canal for that matter). And we have one of the world's most famous natural wonders within a couple of hours away, not to mention vineyards and wineries. It is simply inconceivable to me that people take this all so much for granted. I agree that 'home' will never have the exotic feel of travel abroad but there are different rewards to be had.

I think when it comes to domestic tourism, there's also a different culture in Canada relative to "road tripping" and the like, i.e. long distance travel among Canadians is viewed more as an endurance test than as a "see the country" opportunity. Even the sites and towns along or near the Trans-Canada tend to feel more parsimonious than poetic or elegaic...

Personally, I think Canadians travel a lot within the country and value this. A few years ago, when I took off several months and travelled quite a bit to some faraway destinations, by far the greatest response I got from family and friends was to my week in Iqaluit. More people wrote me to say they were envious of that trip than anywhere else.

If you talk to people about going to Vancouver, to the rockies, to the Maritimes, to Montreal for the weekend, to Newfoundland, they strike me as very engaged and happy to do so.

As destinations, yes. But as "getting there is half the fun" roadtrips, not so much--somehow, Canadians haven't developed a real Route 66-type reflex...

That is disconcerting, to say the least. Especially given how hopelessly entangled we are with America. Any such movement in the US could spill over to Canada, and if not, cause a lot of disruption.

This is nothing to do with Canada & Fox News, but on Thursday Jon Stewart (who regularly skewers cable news, most notably Fox "News") gets an on air apology from Sean Hannity at FN regarding some tricky editing that Stewart's media watchers came across. Not only brilliant, but this is very funny. I uploaded this so it may not last long (there may be a copyright problem, I dunno) so catch it while you can - especially if your a fan of the Daily Show/Jon Stewart & missed this.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_p3MFJ82R8U

This is nothing to do with Canada & Fox News, but on Thursday Jon Stewart (who regularly skewers cable news, most notably Fox "News") gets an on air apology from Sean Hannity at FN regarding some tricky editing that Stewart's media watchers came across. Not only brilliant, but this is very funny. I uploaded this so it may not last long (there may be a copyright problem, I dunno) so catch it while you can - especially if your a fan of the Daily Show/Jon Stewart & missed this.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_p3MFJ82R8U

"This video is not available in your country due to copyright restrictions."

"This video is not available in your country due to copyright restrictions."

That's strange, I just clicked on it now and it works for me. Oh well....

Back