News   Jun 14, 2024
 2.1K     1 
News   Jun 14, 2024
 1.5K     1 
News   Jun 14, 2024
 797     0 

Forum Issues Since Relaunch (Jan 20, 2010)

The new forums look great, and they feel much faster to boot. Congratulations and well done - I'm sure it was a lot of work.

I have to agree with the comments about the title banner, though - it's far too large. It's tall enough that when I'm on my laptop it takes up a fifth of the screen!

- The banner, while it might have taken a long time to make, looks bad. Very Web 1.0. I've thought the banner system at blogto.com would adapt well to UT.
- Formatting issues on the main page (I'm using IE6 with no hope of an upgrade).

Is there any way we can change the default behavior when clicking on a thread title (this isn't a new issue).
Namely, it takes you to the very first post - to go to the last post you have to click the small last page number button.
This is happening to me too.

I think I'd also agree that the banner is a little large and that something akin to BlogTO should be our inspiration.

Does anyone notice any intermittent problems with individual postings having some strange overlaps? I've seen one post in the Bloor Revitalization thread getting physically embedded in drum118's photos, and a more milder cases of posts looking out of place.

AoD

Good work gentlemen. I like the new look (although the colour red should be replaced with blue, Toronto's true colour. ;)) and the board seems to be working fine. The work to keep the forum up is very much appreciated.

Posts made before the relaunch don't seem to appear under "View Forum Posts" for a given user.

thanks for the forum and your work guys; however, these are some issues i have encountered:

1) the new site does not reformat to screen or window size like the older version did ... one needs to scroll over and needs a 20" monitor to sufficiently accomodate the full width now;

2) mobile version is not user friendly ... takes too long to upload and again screen size issues;

3) the colours and format are not as user friendly as before ... perhaps i will get used to them with time, but the older version was much more intuitive;

Re: the header, whatever SSP does seems to work well. The main logo is small enough that it will fit all resolutions, then the rest of the header adjusts depending on how big your browser window/screen resolution is (as does the rest of the forum content)

Last edited:
Maybe this is intentional, but posts with photos seem to be restricted to a relatively narrow width no matter how wide the browser window is. I often post portrait oriented photos side by side, but this seems to exceed the maximum width. This also does weird things when photos and text are centred in the post. The maximum width for text and side by side photos is less than the 920 pixel width I usually use for my photos.

I was also hoping the forum changes might allow the option of borders for images (for example IMG=5 for a five pixel border around a photo)

Keep the issues coming. Note that the site is not completely done so some of the issues above were known to us before we launched. We decided to launch as is rather than keep the forum off for upwards of a week.

Maybe it's just me but the first and last post in each thread page doesn't go the full length of the forum page (i.e. it has paragraphs that are narrower than the rest of the page, indented on the right hand side)

Attachments

• utscreenshot.jpg
    utscreenshot.jpg
    96.2 KB · Views: 196
Last edited:
The Tridel and Cityzen ads appear over top over the pulldown menus like "Community" and "Forum Actions" (doesn't happen with the Dell/BMO ads)... using Chrome btw

time issue

how do you change the time displayed from 24 hour clock to 12 hour clock? :confused:

Put me down as someone who LOVES how the new version works on my mobile phone.

For iPhone users, just viewing the standard html site is far better than the "mobile" version that there used to be...once that mobile version showed up, it actually had the opposite effect for me. I STOPPED visiting the site from my phone.

So if there are plans in place for a new mobile version, please at least give us the option to view the full site instead. Because right now it's working great for me.

Back