News   Aug 28, 2024
 310     0 
News   Aug 27, 2024
 1.2K     2 
News   Aug 27, 2024
 1.4K     0 

Ford Wants NFL Team For Toronto

Oh, so you're the one person in Toronto who believes everyone in attendance paid full price and Rogers didn't paper the house with over 20K freebies and heavily discounted tickets per game. PM me -- I've got some swampland for you.

And Rogers wouldn't have fired and demoted executives involved in the Bills in Toronto Series if it wasn't a failure. Ted's successor Nadir Mohamed isn't fooling around

Because you have 100% proof of this right GenW? Post your stuff here in public, don't hide. And we all know what region of the country those 18-34 year olds come from because, its not here.

If the CFL is as strong as you say then it should have no problem with competition. And even then, you cannot force people to watch the CFL.

You can say it, but you'd be wrong. CFL ratings among the 18-34 demographic have doubled since 2007.

Not to say that the Argos don't have attendance concerns, but they're not the team in Toronto most worried about demographic trends.

And what region are those 18-34 yearolds from?

I agree about the Leafs . Hockey is too expensive now.

Last edited:
Link? I thought that was where the CFL was struggling the most in that age group in Toronto where they compete not just with the NFL but with TFC and UFC for that audience?

They are. The Sudden 5 year popularity of the CFL is becaus of rise in Viewership in Western Canada and great marketing by TSN. The Grey Cup will still never be on CTV though. Only 49% percent of the country likes the CFL. Just under half. That means 16 million people do not care, with most of those not caring for sports in the first place.

In the past I have heard rumblings the Jays would like a Orioles style ball park. On forums in such, keep in mind this was 2007.

I hardly think the Jays were on forums posting about how they wanted a new park.....more likely you have read the postings of some fans who would like a new stadium.....likely the same fans that would not show up in late march/april for a game in a open air, retro park, because it was too cold. ;) Many fans like to grumble about Rogers Centre as a baseball park.....but they forget that not every baseball game is played in the dog days of summer. The only reason the early 90s Jays set attendance records was SkyDome.....there is no way to expect 4 million fans to attend Baseball in a March to October season if you can't put a roof on the place!

They are. The Sudden 5 year popularity of the CFL is becaus of rise in Viewership in Western Canada and great marketing by TSN. The Grey Cup will still never be on CTV though. Only 49% percent of the country likes the CFL. Just under half. That means 16 million people do not care, with most of those not caring for sports in the first place.

You have lost me there.....but are you making an argument for the popularity of the CFL all of a sudden. I can tell you that outside of NHL hockey, I would be surprised if any other sport has a popularity rating of 50% of all canadians!

EDIT/ADDITION if 50% of Canadians like the CFL it is very hard to think they achieve that without some high level of popularity in Ontario....since Ontario makes up nearly 1/3 of the nation's population.

Yes, it's much more popular in the West, especially in the Prairies.

The same 16-million argument can be twisted the other way. There were 7.3 million people that watched the Superbowl in Canada, a record. This means that somewhere north of 26 million Canadians don't care about NFL enough to have watched the most hyped event in their league.

What's the interest level in hockey? Would you get a 50% popularity for even the Leafs?

I agree about the Leafs . Hockey is too expensive now.

Well, there is other hockey being played in the GTA that is considerably cheaper........Toronto Marlies (AHL) $10 - $43.....Oshawa Generals (OHL) $18 - $30......Mississauga St. Mike's Majors (OHL) $12.95 to $19.95......Brampton Battalion (OHL) $10 - $19.50.

So, I think we can conclude, the NHL/Leafs may be too expensive but hockey hardly is!

You have lost me there.....but are you making an argument for the popularity of the CFL all of a sudden. I can tell you that outside of NHL hockey, I would be surprised if any other sport has a popularity rating of 50% of all canadians!

EDIT/ADDITION if 50% of Canadians like the CFL it is very hard to think they achieve that without some high level of popularity in Ontario....since Ontario makes up nearly 1/3 of the nation's population.

Hahaha...More like 10%-15% follow the CFL..5 million if your lucky

I hardly think the Jays were on forums posting about how they wanted a new park.....more likely you have read the postings of some fans who would like a new stadium.....likely the same fans that would not show up in late march/april for a game in a open air, retro park, because it was too cold. ;) Many fans like to grumble about Rogers Centre as a baseball park.....but they forget that not every baseball game is played in the dog days of summer. The only reason the early 90s Jays set attendance records was SkyDome.....there is no way to expect 4 million fans to attend Baseball in a March to October season if you can't put a roof on the place!

Probably. It was a few years ago.

Yes, it's much more popular in the West, especially in the Prairies.

The same 16-million argument can be twisted the other way. There were 7.3 million people that watched the Superbowl in Canada, a record. This means that somewhere north of 26 million Canadians don't care about NFL enough to have watched the most hyped event in their league.

What's the interest level in hockey? Would you get a 50% popularity for even the Leafs?

IMO no. No you would not get 50% for the Leafs. 40% fine, but they suck now, for the past 5 years.

Of course some ontarians watced, but the CFL is not number 1 here. 90% viewership out west is what did it. I believe almost everyone out west watched last years cup, thats alot of people.

Well, there is other hockey being played in the GTA that is considerably cheaper........Toronto Marlies (AHL) $10 - $43.....Oshawa Generals (OHL) $18 - $30......Mississauga St. Mike's Majors (OHL) $12.95 to $19.95......Brampton Battalion (OHL) $10 - $19.50.

So, I think we can conclude, the NHL/Leafs may be too expensive but hockey hardly is!
I wish more people realized that. This is why I want a second team in the GTA, to bring prices down.

Hahaha...More like 10%-15% follow the CFL..5 million if your lucky

I think thats too low but not much higher than that.

6.25 million watched the last Grey Cup on TV!

Thats right, and it was still less the the so called boring superbowl.

Of course some ontarians watced, but the CFL is not number 1 here. 90% viewership out west is what did it. I believe almost everyone out west watched last years cup, thats alot of people.

I don't think there has ever been a show in the history of television that ever garnered and audience of 90% of the population in any significantly populated place. If you are gonna toss out statements like 90% of Western Canadians watched the Grey Cup....you are gonna have to back that up with a link/fact/quote.....sorry I don't believe it.

I wish more people realized that. This is why I want a second team in the GTA, to bring prices down.

A second NHL team will not bring down prices to NHL hockey in the GTA. No one is going to pay $100 million expansion fee or team purchase fee, a similar amount to the Leafs for the territory and $300 million to build an arena (so about half a billion dollars in total) just to charge less money!!!

Cheaper hockey (and good hockey) is and always will be available but cheap NHL hockey in the GTA is never going to happen!

Thats right, and it was still less the the so called boring superbowl.

Here's the thing though......if NFL was so much more popular in Canada than CFL, would the TV ratings not show that in a bigger way? The Grey Cup on TSN (a cable channel) had an audience of 6.25 million people.........the Super Bowl on CTV (an over the air broadcaster) had a total audience of 6.7 million........so, across the whole country, the Super Bowl with all its hype drew an audience that was 450k larger than the audience that the Grey Cup got on cable!!!

Back