News   Jul 25, 2024
 229     0 
News   Jul 25, 2024
 320     0 
News   Jul 25, 2024
 412     0 

Ford Wants NFL Team For Toronto

Fortunately Red Bulls left Meadowland and got a better stadium. I'm noticing that the Meadowlands Rail line only runs when there is an event ... and only events with over 50,000 ... so it wouldn't help for a Red Bulls game if they were still there. Hardly a regular service ... though I guess it helps for those big NFL games, especially to Manhattan.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Port_Authority_Trans-Hudson

Path takes you right to Harrison. Also using the commuter train, get off at Newark Penn.

rogers need to be replaced soon.
What? After all that money from the government to build it?

The impression I got after the government raped my wallet to build the thing, was that we wouldn't have to build another one in my lifetime.

That's got to be the biggest gravy-train suggestion I've ever heard!

Last edited:
Path takes you right to Harrison. Also using the commuter train, get off at Newark Penn.
... uh, yes ... I said so above about the PATH ... and yes, a short walk to Newark Penn Station. I only raise because when I looked into what it woudl take to get to a Red Bull game when they played at Meadowlands, it seemed all but impossible, requiring taking a pretty early bus from the PABT.

What? After all that money from the government to build it?

The impression I got after the government raped my wallet to build the thing, was that we wouldn't have to build another one in my lifetime.

That's got to be the biggest gravy-train suggestion I've ever heard!

Its getting close 30 years old, and the blue jays are looking into replacing it.

Its getting close 30 years old, and the blue jays are looking into replacing it.
It's barely 20 years old ... 21 to be precise. It has years of life left into it. It cost the government hundreds of millions of dollars - likely close to a $1-billion in 2011 dollars.

In the current climate of fiscal restraint, there would be no public money to replace a perfectly good and recent stadium.

Besides, demolitions of 20-40-year-old domed stadiums (particularly when they involve implosions) are *so* wastefully USAish. We can set an example by retaining Skydome--all the more so as the city's growth and intensification (Cityplace et al) have adapted to its presence...

We could follow a much more Canadian model.....wait till it turns 25 and spend $150 million renovating it for a two week event then, when that event is over, spend another $365 million on a second phase of renovations.....I guess? ;)

Of course all of this ignores that "we" (the taxpayer) don't actually own it.

We could follow a much more Canadian model.....wait till it turns 25 and spend $150 million renovating it for a two week event then, when that event is over, spend another $365 million on a second phase of renovations.....I guess?
The Dome is being used for the Pan-Am Games in 2015 when it turns 25, and I'm not aware of any significant sum being spent on it ... though it did cost about triple what BC Place cost.

Only 90% attendance paying triple the highest prices in the NFL? Such a failure.
Oh, so you're the one person in Toronto who believes everyone in attendance paid full price and Rogers didn't paper the house with over 20K freebies and heavily discounted tickets per game. PM me -- I've got some swampland for you.

And Rogers wouldn't have fired and demoted executives involved in the Bills in Toronto Series if it wasn't a failure. Ted's successor Nadir Mohamed isn't fooling around.

what are the demographics of the New York team fan support? Where do people live who attend the games?
Same for all the area pro teams -- the Tri-State Area.

Seems a rather 1970s way of doing things ... surely if this is what the league is built on, there may be a long-term instability in the league ... kind of like the CFL where you can now say that the reason that they call it the Grey Cup is that's because of the hair colour of the crowd.
You can say it, but you'd be wrong. CFL ratings among the 18-34 demographic have doubled since 2007.

Not to say that the Argos don't have attendance concerns, but they're not the team in Toronto most worried about demographic trends.

You can say it, but you'd be wrong. CFL ratings among the 18-34 demographic have doubled since 2007.

Not to say that the Argos don't have attendance concerns, but they're not the team in Toronto most worried about demographic trends.

Link? I thought that was where the CFL was struggling the most in that age group in Toronto where they compete not just with the NFL but with TFC and UFC for that audience?

Back