News   Jul 25, 2024
 684     0 
News   Jul 25, 2024
 644     0 
News   Jul 25, 2024
 493     0 

Forbes: Canada's Top 25 Attractions

That 12 million figure for Harbourfront must include people just walking by along the waterfront who aren't at all "attracted" to Harbourfront...which makes the 1 million figure for Yonge-Dundas Square seem absurdly low.

Indeed, scarb, that's why the list is so strange. I daresay no tourists (perhaps twelve?) have made "Yonge-Dundas Square" a destination in and of itself, but perhaps they passed through, and somehow got "counted" (as must I have, on the times I've passed through the square on my way to buying some hooch at the nearby LCBO).

^ sure but the same can be said for Stanley Park or the Old Port of Montreal. It's still a major tourist destination. The central waterfront has already improved dramatically in the last few years, and it's going to be even better in a few more. On a nice day there's not a better setting in this city to have a drink than one of the patios in front of Queen's Quay Terminal. It's too bad there's not 20 bars/restaurants down there instead of the 3 or 4 we have now.

"Indeed, scarb, that's why the list is so strange. I daresay no tourists (perhaps twelve?) have made "Yonge-Dundas Square" a destination in and of itself"

I assume you are joking Archivist, because by far the two highest concentrations of foreign tourists can be found at either Harbourfront or Yonge-Dundas. Well, lets say Harbourfront and Yonge-Dundas areas.

Quite often, if I walk through Brookfield Galleria during the work week ( or, in my case, the "work" week ) I see groups of twenty or thirty - obviously foreign - tourists being shown around, though probably not in sufficient numbers to put the Galleria on this list.

Tricky, I sort of wasn't joking ... I guess I am wondering if they are there because they've filed out of the Eaton Centre, or if they are there because they are on their way between places and the square happens to be there. I guess with the events in the square, it might be a destination in and of itself, but it just doesn't seem high-profile enough on its own. I could easily be wrong though.

Though I wonder how much of a "destination" Y-D might be in the most banal, "meet me/us at..." sense. It certainly seems central-meeting/gathering-place enough...

Wow... Given that Harbourfront Centre is on par with Niagra Falls as Canada's top tourist distination, there has been very little investment. Canada Square is long overdue

I think there has been some investment from all levels of government regardind the square ... federal in particular I recall. But yes Canada square is long overdue but if you look at the pictures you can tell the part by the water is already complete ... it's just the part leading up the street that hasn't been.

Come to Yonge-Dundas Square! Sit by the Yonge-Dundas Fountains! Witness the Yonge-Dundas buskers! Wince at the Yonge-Dundas Thing we built on the far corner!

renamed BCE Place?

although then it should be the Allen Lambert Galleria.

Obviously she's never been to Europe.

Nowhere in Canada feels like Europe, and the only place in Canada that even superficially looks kind of like Europe is old town Quebec.

Which is why I laugh when I see people on this forum say "but such-and-such huge European city has no freeways running through it's centre". Canada is not remotely like any part of Europe, and such comparisons are ridiculous.

Back