News   Apr 23, 2024
 85     0 
News   Apr 22, 2024
 840     0 
News   Apr 22, 2024
 288     0 

Floating Carshare Permits Proposed

https://www.newswire.ca/news-releas...-free-floating-car-share-pilot-696202641.html

$0.41/minute, $15/hour, $50 a day, $35 a day after that. 150km a day is included.

the first day rate is about half of what all other car shares are charging for a daily trip right now, the second day is even cheaper. The km maximum is fairly low however - makes me wonder how much the overage charges are. If reasonable it make make trips like weekend trips to muskoka easier and more affordable.

Will they be exempt from the three hour bylaw that applies to the rest of us?

^yup. They essentially have a parking permit that allows them to park in any permit zone.

Anyone know if Communeauto is going to be doing dedicated lots in areas of the city that doesn't have permit parking? That's was one of the best parts of Car2Go's business model.

Has anyone signed up for Communauto and can share their experiences? I was hoping to see the availability of cars on a map but their website doesn't appear to allow that unless I sign up.

Curious to know how ubiquitous they are. I've seen a few parked in and around the neighbourhood but nowhere near as prevalent as Car2go used to be.

I've been religiously using the service since it was released. I picked the car up from the dealership for them and got it as my personal vehicle for a week as a reward prior to launch, and have had the first 30 minutes of any trip free since then (that ends January 31st). Been using it to drive to work for free most mornings (depending on car availability).

I believe Car2Go had about 400 cars when they exited Toronto, while communauto has only 200, so no, they are not as common. I find that about 80% of the time there is one within a 5 minute walk, but it's not 100% reliable. I do miss Car2Go's dedicated parking spaces in areas with no permit parking.

The cars are much roomier than the diminutive little smart cars though, and don't feel like they are going to fall apart when you get up to 110km/h on the Gardiner, which is a plus.

The app has been rather glitchy - I've had to contact their customer service quite a few times to unlock a car or end a trip, but they are always quick and helpful when I do call.

All in all it's not quite as refined of a service as Car2Go was - but it is slightly cheaper (there is no $1 trip start charge, though the minute by minute rate is the same).

Communauto also has by far the cheapest daily rates for any car share service in the city - $50 for the first day and $35 for every day thereafter. A car for the weekend for $85!

Only $50 a day? That's a lot cheaper than ZipCar, and quite attractive for those Sunday morning dim sum trips up to north Scarborough. (Currently, we take the TTC, costing us $12, but taking 70-90 minutes each way). I live right downtown though, east of Yonge, and there are several ZC cars and SUVs in my area, but no idea if these cars would be available. I guess that's holding me back. And is it compatible with Communauto in Montreal or the old Community Car Share locations? That's not mentioned either. I've taken advantage of the ZipCar membership for quick drives in other cities, including Seattle and Washington.

Only $50 a day? That's a lot cheaper than ZipCar, and quite attractive for those Sunday morning dim sum trips up to north Scarborough. (Currently, we take the TTC, costing us $12, but taking 70-90 minutes each way). I live right downtown though, east of Yonge, and there are several ZC cars and SUVs in my area, but no idea if these cars would be available. I guess that's holding me back. And is it compatible with Communauto in Montreal or the old Community Car Share locations? That's not mentioned either. I've taken advantage of the ZipCar membership for quick drives in other cities, including Seattle and Washington.
I live at Shuter and Church and there are often cars parked along Shuter past Jarvis and on George or Pembroke streets.

The hourly rate is $15 which is more than Zipcar/Enterprise/Maven, but since it maxes out at the daily rate after only 3 hours and 15 minutes.. it makes it not too bad if you are planning to have a car for a longer period.

No membership fees either, which is nice.

I use a mix of Maven and Communauto depending on what I need it for - Maven for those 1-4 hour round trips (their cars are $11 an hour I believe), and communauto for full days and point to point trips.

I live at Shuter and Church and there are often cars parked along Shuter past Jarvis and on George or Pembroke streets.

The hourly rate is $15 which is more than Zipcar/Enterprise/Maven, but since it maxes out at the daily rate after only 3 hours and 15 minutes.. it makes it not too bad if you are planning to have a car for a longer period.

No membership fees either, which is nice.

I use a mix of Maven and Communauto depending on what I need it for - Maven for those 1-4 hour round trips (their cars are $11 an hour I believe), and communauto for full days and point to point trips.

Wonderful. I live close by, so that's very helpful. I might take the plunge, and maybe allow the ZipCar membership to expire.

This is absolutely ridiculous of city council to have done. I have seen several cars from commuauto just sitting on the street. One is now parked in a spot that was shocked out for one of my families cars and they don't care about it at all. I asked about it on twitter and they just gave me a bunch of marketing crap about how it works and they want to encourage people to use less cars in the city. They need to learn to play nice and leave when they are asked to.

This is absolutely ridiculous of city council to have done. I have seen several cars from commuauto just sitting on the street. One is now parked in a spot that was shocked out for one of my families cars and they don't care about it at all. I asked about it on twitter and they just gave me a bunch of marketing crap about how it works and they want to encourage people to use less cars in the city. They need to learn to play nice and leave when they are asked to.

Huh?

This is being approved all over the world.

It assists people in choosing not to own their own car or have to worry about shoveling their own parking spot.

It reduces demand for parking as the typical ratio of families using car share is between 10 and 20 per vehicle instead of one or more to every household.

Those Communato cars your complaining about weren't put there by the company. They were put there by your neighbours who use the service and drove them there.

If they didn't have that service, they would have private cars and permit parking and park on the street, on your street, all the same, except there would be MORE cars, not less.

I get that you shoveled a spot. Its a lot of work and it feels unfair when someone else takes it. But that can and does happen with private cars all the time.

You want a reserved spot exclusively for you? Buy a condo! Or a house with a driveway that fits your car! Or rent a spot at a paid lot down the street. Failing all of that......

I'm not opposed to the City creating reserved on-street spots (provided they charge market-price.......say $200.00 per month.........though I'm not sure how you would make clear whose spot is which in winter, when the ground is covered without poles jutting out of front yards/sidewalks everywhere, but I am open to persuasion on that.

Last edited:
They were not put there by anyone who lives in our street as most people already have cars. As I said it has been sitting in the street and only been moved by someone from commuauto who was extremely rude when they were asked why it was on our street. This is an extremely terrible business model and should not have been supported by an outgoing city Council. I don't buy the crap about people not owning cars and using these cheap excuses for rental cars that don't want to pay for land or rent spaces for their business to use.

Never mind the fact that the City criminally under charges for on street parking.

No kidding.

Permit Fees for 2019 range from as little as $15.85 per month, to a max of $55.57 per month.

A quick survey of monthly parking prices in the old City shows me a private sector range from an extreme low of $75 to $350 in the Financial District.

The average appears to be about $110-120 in most areas.

That would mean the City is selling parking at a discount of between 50% off and 85% off.

Elasticity means if they went to market pricing they wouldn't get that full amount in new money, but nominally, there leaving something like 25-35M on the table in annual revenues. (likely more in the 12-15M range) but that would pay for a lot of good quality programs!

If they also raised the prices to market for Front Yard Parking, Boulevard Parking and Commericial Main street parking.......there's another 10M plus there too!

They were not put there by anyone who lives in our street as most people already have cars. As I said it has been sitting in the street and only been moved by someone from commuauto who was extremely rude when they were asked why it was on our street. This is an extremely terrible business model and should not have been supported by an outgoing city Council. I don't buy the crap about people not owning cars and using these cheap excuses for rental cars that don't want to pay for land or rent spaces for their business to use.

I'm sorry. You do not own your street. You pay rent to the city just like the car sharing company does. Anyone can park at anytime on your street (subject to likely permit only at certain times).

It's great that you shoveled out a spot but that does not mean you own it. It's also great that you can afford to own a car, afford to live in a house near the downtown and have the ability to look down on people that may not have the luxury's you do.

You may want to re-read your diatribe over the past several posts and realize how it makes you sound.

Back