News   May 02, 2024
 60     0 
News   May 02, 2024
 58     0 
News   May 02, 2024
 106     0 

Finch West Line 6 LRT

I guess it could have been taken as an implication.

But let me put it clearly. When built, there were interchanges with both Sheppard and Wilson on the 400. By 1971 however, they had been removed, likely due to the highway being widened from 4 to 8 lanes and the reconfiguration of the interchange with the 401.

It is possible to reinstate the interchange at Sheppard, although it seems that the MTO prefers to limit or eliminate the interchanges to the nearest concessions paralleling the 400-series highways. Land is also at a bit of a premium at Sheppard.

Dan
Toronto, Ont.

400 has an interchange at Jane, one conncession south. 404 has an interchange at Sheppard, <1 concession north.

I would accept that they don't want an interchange next to a major multi-level interchange, but it is nowhere near a rule.

I guess it could have been taken as an implication.

But let me put it clearly. When built, there were interchanges with both Sheppard and Wilson on the 400. By 1971 however, they had been removed, likely due to the highway being widened from 4 to 8 lanes and the reconfiguration of the interchange with the 401.

It is possible to reinstate the interchange at Sheppard, although it seems that the MTO prefers to limit or eliminate the interchanges to the nearest concessions paralleling the 400-series highways. Land is also at a bit of a premium at Sheppard.

Dan
Toronto, Ont.

I hope they reinstate Sheppard. It's well over 5 km from Finch to the next nearest interchange which is at Jane south of Wilson.

I hope they reinstate Sheppard. It's well over 5 km from Finch to the next nearest interchange which is at Jane south of Wilson.

It is actually about 5.5 km from Finch to Jane. But there is that small highway 401 interchange which is just over 4km to the south.

Checking out aerial maps, Sheppard hasn't had an interchange with the 400 since somewhere between 1953 and 1957. (For a loose definition of "interchange")

My apologies, you are correct. I think that pre-1971 date in my notes was for the bridge over the highway.

400 has an interchange at Jane, one conncession south. 404 has an interchange at Sheppard, <1 concession north.

I would accept that they don't want an interchange next to a major multi-level interchange, but it is nowhere near a rule.

I never said that it was a rule, simply that they seem to want to avoid them. For instance, you can't access Highway 7 from the 407 from either the 400 or 404, and there is limited access to Steeles from the 400 (and none from the 407).

Dan
Toronto, Ont.

.. Yes you can get to 7 from the 404 and 400.. Those are some of the busiest arterial interchanges in MTO's network. You can get to Jane, Weston, Leslie, and Woodbine from the 407 as well, which are the arterials that border the 400 and 404 interchanges. Some of them are only "half" interchanges though.

edit: never mind, misread. Yes, you can't access it directly from the 407. That makes a lot of sense though, you would get some horrible levels of weaving traffic if you let that occur.

Oh my gosh. He actually got 2/3 of council to support this thing?

No. He did not get 2/3 of council to defer the referral. If he got the 2/3, then council would be voting on the item. Instead, the executive committee will look at, and look again, and look again, and look again, and look again... at the item, discuss it, and then present it to council (if there isn't another city election by then).

No. He did not get 2/3 of council to defer the referral. If he got the 2/3, then council would be voting on the item. Instead, the executive committee will look at, and look again, and look again, and look again, and look again... at the item, discuss it, and then present it to council (if there isn't another city election by then).

Well hopefully you're right. There's only a year to go before constuection starts.

Back