News   Aug 09, 2024
 761     2 
News   Aug 09, 2024
 651     0 
News   Aug 09, 2024
 2.6K     2 

Finch West Line 6 LRT

is there technically any distinction between this and a ROW streetcar? its kind of weird that this is on the subway map but St Clair is streetcar
It runs coupled vehicles, uses a separate rolling stock and signalling system, and the trains themselves will be bidirectional. Beyond that, no not really.

is there technically any distinction between this and a ROW streetcar? its kind of weird that this is on the subway map but St Clair is streetcar
There are plenty of "technical" differences but in terms of less technical stuff that the average subway map reader would notice, I would say:
  • No on-board fare payment on Finch West
  • Wider stop spacing on Finch West (~600m compared to ~250m on St. Clair)

There are plenty of "technical" differences but in terms of less technical stuff that the average subway map reader would notice, I would say:
  • No on-board fare payment on Finch West
  • Wider stop spacing on Finch West (~600m compared to ~250m on St. Clair)
I'd honestly have to object to that last point anyway. The lower stop spacing can be easily attributed to the fact that the streetcars operate in more open areas with higher densities. The subway effectively does the same thing, 600m stop spacing in denser areas, and 1-2km spacing in sprawling suburbs.

^Would the government risk the backlash if it became known that the only reason for not opening was political? A FOI request would expose that.

Finch West vehicles wont be coupled, but they will be on the Crosstown.
At 42m compared to Crosstown 29m LRV's, CT needs 2 cars to get close to Finch capacity for one LRV. Finch LRV's that can be couple as a pairs like Hurontario LRV' are the same as the Ottawa cars. To add a second LRV will require platforms to be extended. and no simple matter to do.

Aug 8
With traffic signs saying it will take 30 minutes to get to the 400 by the 401 at Dixie and 20 minutes by 409, decided to check Finch out on my way to the east end.

Based on my trip from 27 to Finch West Station, the earliest I can see this line opening now is Oct-Dec or later based on TTC testing the line as too much out standing issues to be completed.

The CLC stated the line is 99.49% completed while I say 98.5%.

Road curbs being torn up and being rebuilt, milling of the lanes and intersections, overhead work taking place, work being done on platforms edges, lots of construction barriers around areas for sidewalk and other places, paving was taking place in the westbound lanes with traffic using the eastbound lane in both directions, Cycling lanes more miss than pave.

Yeah, the stops are further apart. Platforms are longer and higher with level boarding (over a foot instead of less than half a foot). You have to buy your fare first before boarding instead of walking on the streetcar and tapping when (or if) you feel like it. Terminals will have a crossover so they won't queue up like Spadina or Union. Other than that, it'll feel like a streetcar+ service.

With the amount of fare evasion, I am supportive of installing fare gates between this and the subway at Finch West Station. They should make it more difficult to dodge fares.

^Would the government risk the backlash if it became known that the only reason for not opening was political? A FOI request would expose that.
Finch will use the same/shared batch of TTC drivers as the Crosstown. Those drivers are starting training mid-August. So technically Finch cannot yet open because there aren’t drivers trained for it yet.

Back