News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.1K     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 978     1 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 367     0 

Finch West Line 6 LRT

Curious...what are the similarities and differences between the Finch West LRT and Eglinton Crosstown?

Maximum vertical curviture, maximum horizontal curvature, rail gauge, power supply voltage, platform height, clearance height, and possibly other details.

They're quite interoperable despite no physical connection between them. Hurontario and Hamilton will (as far as I know) also follow those same physical guidelines.

Maximum vertical curviture, maximum horizontal curvature, rail gauge, power supply voltage, platform height, clearance height, and possibly other details.

They're quite interoperable despite no physical connection between them. Hurontario and Hamilton will (as far as I know) also follow those same physical guidelines.
They do have 1 major difference, Finch will have bike lanes along the whole length while Eglinton will only have bike lanes along the surface section (and a bit at Yonge).

They do have 1 major difference, Finch will have bike lanes along the whole length while Eglinton will only have bike lanes along the surface section (and a bit at Yonge).

That's not really a Finch LRT feature, that's a Finch the street feature. A bike lane can be added or removed to either street (or even King) at any time without touching the LRT infrastructure.

If you want one on Eglinton you need to out lobby the car people on Eglinton.

Last edited:
The city is planning to add bike lanes across the entire length in time for opening - it's just not part of the consortium's scope.

No, the painted buffer bike lane will be from Black Creek Dr. - Brentcliffe Rd. and Victoria Park Av. - Kennedy Rd. but a curb and buffered bike lane will be installed from Brentcliffe Rd. - Victoria Park Av. due to the steep elevation changes in that section. Although I would like to see it fully curb buffered with the whole route

Finch West and Eglinton Crosstown are being built to the vehicle manufactures' specifications. The downtown legacy lines need vehicles built to the existing specifications. The suburban vehicles not only will be wider, but also will not be able to handle the curves or inclines downtown.

No, the painted buffer bike lane will be from Black Creek Dr. - Brentcliffe Rd. and Victoria Park Av. - Kennedy Rd. but a curb and buffered bike lane will be installed from Brentcliffe Rd. - Victoria Park Av. due to the steep elevation changes in that section. Although I would like to see it fully curb buffered with the whole route
I think you got that reversed.
A continuous protected bike lane along Eglinton, from Black Creek to Brentcliffe (standard bike lanes are already approved between Brentcliffe & Kennedy)
From link.

The Eglinton Connects plan is NOT FUNDED. This link shows the city vision but as always, without funding the street will just be patched up once construction ends. So nothing will be built until we get a more city building friendly government at city hall.

The Eglinton Connects plan is NOT FUNDED. This link shows the city vision but as always, without funding the street will just be patched up once construction ends. So nothing will be built until we get a more city building friendly government at city hall.
That is true. Honestly I wish it was built simultaneously but you know, Toronto is very slow with building bike lanes and making safer streets.

What is the reason we're writing about the eglinton LRT in this forum?

Finch West and Eglinton Crosstown are being built to the vehicle manufactures' specifications. The downtown legacy lines need vehicles built to the existing specifications. The suburban vehicles not only will be wider, but also will not be able to handle the curves or inclines downtown.

And, the suburban vehicles will be double ended. They won't need a loop to reverse.

Back