News   Jul 16, 2024
 622     0 
News   Jul 16, 2024
 569     0 
News   Jul 16, 2024
 711     2 

Finch West Line 6 LRT

No loop is planned. Crossovers, like they have on the heavy-rail subway, would be used. For speed, they can change operators at the terminal. The arriving operator can get a washroom break, while the departing operator drives off. They can change shifts, if needed.

I know that. Crossovers are fine for a regular terminal operation; and that's why the new LRT lines are getting double-ended cars.

However, i was responding to a proposal for the LRT trains to pull over to Humber, then go back and continue down Hwy 27. In that case, switching ends at Humber is not a good option because it would delay the trip.

Just came from the meeting. They want to grade separate the Highway 27 stop. Will upload some of the slides.

Slides from the meeting:

Attachments

• IMG_1025.JPG
    IMG_1025.JPG
    68.4 KB · Views: 421
  • IMG_1026.JPG
    IMG_1026.JPG
    88.5 KB · Views: 366
  • IMG_1027.JPG
    IMG_1027.JPG
    97.7 KB · Views: 347
  • IMG_1028.JPG
    IMG_1028.JPG
    90.5 KB · Views: 327
  • IMG_1029.JPG
    IMG_1029.JPG
    86 KB · Views: 340
  • IMG_1030.JPG
    IMG_1030.JPG
    89.4 KB · Views: 342
  • IMG_1031.JPG
    IMG_1031.JPG
    95.6 KB · Views: 316
  • IMG_1032.JPG
    IMG_1032.JPG
    91.2 KB · Views: 343
  • IMG_1033.JPG
    IMG_1033.JPG
    78.8 KB · Views: 331
  • IMG_1034.JPG
    IMG_1034.JPG
    78.9 KB · Views: 353
  • IMG_1035.JPG
    IMG_1035.JPG
    76.9 KB · Views: 338
  • IMG_1037.JPG
    IMG_1037.JPG
    94.1 KB · Views: 331
  • IMG_1038.JPG
    IMG_1038.JPG
    86.5 KB · Views: 336
  • IMG_1042.JPG
    IMG_1042.JPG
    81.9 KB · Views: 324
No loop is planned. Crossovers, like they have on the heavy-rail subway, would be used. For speed, they can change operators at the terminal. The arriving operator can get a washroom break, while the departing operator drives off. They can change shifts, if needed.

New video from Metrolinx:

This look to be a remake of their old LRT overview video.

Just came from the meeting. They want to grade separate the Highway 27 stop. Will upload some of the slides.

Very interesting. Perhaps they're pooling the resources of the Highway 27 and Humber College stops into a single, larger station stop in order to stay on budget. Slight detriment to Humber College students, but a win for everyone else, and certainly makes extension much easier.

Building an underground station rather than 2 surface stops is going to save money? I doubt it. Looks more like a plan of how to save money for the next phase.

Maybe we can get grade separation on eglinton west

It looks like Metrolinx is starting to want more grade separation on its LRT projects. At one of the previous board meetings (September?) they stated they were looking at options to make the Western leg of the Crosstown more grade separated. There is now this revelation for the Finch LRT having grade separation on Highway 27. Im glad that Metrolinx is trying to improve the quality of their LRT projects with grade separation.

If that is the case, then I like this idea of having Metrolinx in charge of transit planning in the GTA. They seem more open to changes than I'm used to in this city. Instead of "that's just the way it is", it seems like they are being driven by "why don't we try this instead?". I guess it helps when you dont have 44 councilors breathing down your neck.

It looks like Metrolinx is starting to want more grade separation on its LRT projects. At one of the previous board meetings (September?) they stated they were looking at options to make the Western leg of the Crosstown more grade separated. There is now this revelation for the Finch LRT having grade separation on Highway 27. Im glad that Metrolinx is trying to improve the quality of their LRT projects with grade separation.

The western leg of Crosstown is already underground. It doesn't get any more grade separated than that. Did you mean the eastern part? Or are you talking about a future extension?

If that is the case, then I like this idea of having Metrolinx in charge of transit planning in the GTA. They seem more open to changes than I'm used to in this city. Instead of "that's just the way it is", it seems like they are being driven by "why don't we try this instead?". I guess it helps when you dont have 44 councilors breathing down your neck.
They are not very open with the public, as Steve Munro's write ups of board meetings demonstrates. The usual comparator Translink doing Greater Vancouver planning has not been free of rancour from municipalities within their remit either.

The western leg of Crosstown is already underground. It doesn't get any more grade separated than that. Did you mean the eastern part? Or are you talking about a future extension?

Sorry for the lack of specifics, yes I meant the western western part (future extension) from Mount Dennis to Renforth/Pearson. Yes you are right it would be hard to grade separate a buried portion even more :)

Sorry for the lack of specifics, yes I meant the western western part (future extension) from Mount Dennis to Renforth/Pearson. Yes you are right it would be hard to grade separate a buried portion even more :)
If council wakes up and rejects SmartTrack anyway. It's supposed to be surface the whole way, but there are some definite major points that should be seaparted: Jane (LRT), the 401 offramps, and Renforth itself.

I too welcome LRTs that have more grade separation. Sure, it defeats some of the cost-saving benefit, but you get some benefits in time savings and reduced conflict points. This is what fuels the whole 'stupid streetcar' sentiment: at-grade transit rights-of-way can be complicated and slow automobile traffic. If we can at least grade separate at some of the majors, we can speed up transit time and reduce the negativity around LRTs.

Back