News   Jul 17, 2024
 70     0 
News   Jul 16, 2024
 702     0 
News   Jul 16, 2024
 611     0 

Finch West Line 6 LRT

I think phase 2 of this will extend to Finch station and phase 3 to the airport. Don't really see the need to extend it deep into scarborough.

I think phase 2 of this will extend to Finch station and phase 3 to the airport. Don't really see the need to extend it deep into scarborough.
I don't see need to extend it at all into Scarborough at all. However doesn't Finch East from Yonge to Don Mills have one of the highest frequency of buses in rush hour?

I don't see need to extend it at all into Scarborough at all. However doesn't Finch East from Yonge to Don Mills have one of the highest frequency of buses in rush hour?
That is because Finch is the current terminus of line 1, and people want at least a chance of getting a seat on the subway.
As for serving Seneca, they could easily operate a short shuttle between there and Don Mills station, but then there's the "Finch being the terminus" situation again.

That is because Finch is the current terminus of line 1, and people want at least a chance of getting a seat on the subway.
As for serving Seneca, they could easily operate a short shuttle between there and Don Mills station, but then there's the "Finch being the terminus" situation again.
In my experience, getting a seat at Sheppard station heading south in PM rush hour isn't that difficult, and even easier earlier in the day when many college students go home. Do many Seneca students head to the subway from Seneca college during AM rush hour when getting a seat is more of an issue?

Ignoring that .... a quick look at Google Transit in Google maps shows that at all times of day the single (39 or 199) bus to Finch station and taking the subway is the fastest way to get to a point on the Yonge subway line (e.g. Eglinton station).

By playing with options, I finally got it to offer me a trip using a bus (139) and both subway lines, and it's about 4 minutes faster than taking a bus directly to Finch station.

I bet if the Sheppard subway was extended to Seneca College, that then people would take the Sheppard subway rather than the bus to Finch, despite having more chance of getting a seat on the Yonge subway.

Only way I could see the Finch LRT being extended to as far as the Seneca College is if we could extend the DRL up to Finch and Don Mills but that would be a pipe dream.

That already happened. Look at the Spadina Subway, the contract was parceled off and many non-Canadian companies won bids.

Walsh Construction (American) - Steeles West / Pioneer Village station
FCC & OHL (partners, both Spanish) - North Tunnels & Highway 407 station
AECON (Canadian), McNally (Canadian) & Kiewit (American) - South Tunnels
AECON (Canadian) - Sheppard West station
Ellisdon (Canadian) - York University Station
Bondfield (Canadian) - Finch West Station
Arup Canada (Canadian) - Vaughan station

If you look at the track record, the biggest problems were 1) the death at York University, which was under the GC umbrella of FCC-OHL (Spanish) and 2) the major delays at Steeles West Station, under the supervision of Walsh Construction (American), and 3) contractual dispute with Arup Canada (Canadian). So I fail to see how the problems lie solely with Canadian companies, and that infrastructure delays on Toronto transit projects are some sort of indictment of Canadian contractors.
Well I guess its the American contractors that have got to go then. I really would have thought with separate contractors things would have been smoother,. Its like whatever option is choosen, there contractors know they can screw the government. They should be forbidden to bid on future work with the city. If they know that could happen you would think or hope things would be different.

Mihevc moved a motion at Council tonight during the Woodbine gambling debate about transit access, basically asking for Finch LRT to go there and on to the airport.
https://twitter.com/graphicmatt/status/583028491181957120 (motion)
https://twitter.com/graphicmatt/status/583041432073584641 (votes)

It certainly makes sense to have the LRT serve the race track. Although personally, I'd like to see it hit a new GO station at Hwy 27 on it's way to the airport, if not terminate there. Running down Hwy 27 should be relatively inexpensive too, since it's a pretty wide ROW with a lot of extra room. Run it down Hwy 27 to Dixon, then Dixon into the airport. This would also make extending the ECLRT to the airport much easier as well, since it could branch just west of Martin Grove, with 1 branch running up Hwy 27 and the other continuing on to Renforth Gateway. No sense in building 2 separate LRT connections to the airport.

I think you would see an LRT terminate at a multi-modal Woodbine station that would serve LRT, GO and UPexpress. It would serve as an earlier eastbound Kitchener GO transfer for the airport, and someday would likely be a GO HighSpeed stop as well. Once the UP was electrified, you might even see a shuttle train between a Woodbine station and the airport to connect as a non-premium service.

Someday perhaps UP is limited to Mount Dennis, Bloor and Union while GO RER picks up the slack for CityPlace, Liberty Village, St. Clair, Weston, Etobicoke North and Woodbine (with an airport shuttle from Woodbine on the UP spur)

I think you would see an LRT terminate at a multi-modal Woodbine station that would serve LRT, GO and UPexpress. It would serve as an earlier eastbound Kitchener GO transfer for the airport, and someday would likely be a GO HighSpeed stop as well. Once the UP was electrified, you might even see a shuttle train between a Woodbine station and the airport to connect as a non-premium service.

Someday perhaps UP is limited to Mount Dennis, Bloor and Union while GO RER picks up the slack for CityPlace, Liberty Village, St. Clair, Weston, Etobicoke North and Woodbine (with an airport shuttle from Woodbine on the UP spur)

Exactly. It's an ideal location for a transit hub in northwest Toronto. It would also turn the Finch West LRT into a bi-directional flow line, instead of just everyone heading east in the AM peak and west in the PM. RER service at Woodbine/Hwy 27 Station would provide an alternative route downtown for many people in NW Toronto.

It certainly makes sense to have the LRT serve the race track. Although personally, I'd like to see it hit a new GO station at Hwy 27 on it's way to the airport, if not terminate there. Running down Hwy 27 should be relatively inexpensive too, since it's a pretty wide ROW with a lot of extra room. Run it down Hwy 27 to Dixon, then Dixon into the airport. This would also make extending the ECLRT to the airport much easier as well, since it could branch just west of Martin Grove, with 1 branch running up Hwy 27 and the other continuing on to Renforth Gateway. No sense in building 2 separate LRT connections to the airport.

Unfortunately, the 401 over 27 was was replaced about 15 years ago. There is not enough space to add new lanes. There are currently 3 NBL and 2 SBL.

Unfortunately, the 401 over 27 was was replaced about 15 years ago. There is not enough space to add new lanes. There are currently 3 NBL and 2 SBL.

That's unfortunate. There could be other options though, such as elevating over the 401 immediately to the east of Hwy 27, and then transitioning to surface and ultimately in-median LRT by the time it reaches Dixon Rd. Of course, this would only be for a future Eglinton LRT branch to the airport. It wouldn't be required for the FWLRT.

Back