News   Apr 26, 2024
 2.3K     4 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 521     0 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 1.1K     1 

Finch West Line 6 LRT

For everyone saying that LRT's will be great for local travel it doesn't really make sense, we have among the best bus services in North America and or the world for local travel (in the city) - why do we need to invest in something which we already have.

In the world? Not even close to that.

In North America alone, yes, our bus system beats other bus systems on frequency and coverage. But the buses suck anyway :( because they get stuck in traffic. Pre-covid, I was regularly on bus #60 going from Finch subway to the Steeles & Dufferin area. When no congestion, that's 20-22 min. When the roads are clogged, just the first 2 km from Finch to Steeles can take 20 min or more.

I'm not going to dismiss the benefits of fast, fully grade separated transit, when it leads to better overall network. But from the local / mid-range travel perspective, street median is a major improvement, even if it stops at traffic lights.

Metrolinx Finch West LRT Virtual Open House has some really good slides about construction details

Metrolinx Finch West LRT Virtual Open House has some really good slides about construction details

Humber college is shaping up to be a pretty unique looking station! I find it pretty funny half of these renderings show finch west as line 5

Good to see the progress in the Open House documents. I do think commuters/students will curse the omission of a roof/substantial shelter at Humber College!

Great thing about LRT (surface) construction is how (relatively) quickly it will be finished - opening in 2023 is basically tomorrow when you compare it to how long Eglinton Crosstown is taking! I hope the quality of transit delivered on Finch West will encourage its extension/consideration of future LRT lines... but that remains to be seen.

Last edited:
As for the platform screen doors at Finch West Station...

1612888129875.png

From link.

Great thing about LRT construction is how (relatively) quickly it will be finished - opening in 2023 is basically tomorrow when you compare it to how long Eglinton Crosstown is taking! I hope the quality of transit delivered on Finch West will encourage its extension/consideration of future LRT lines... but that remains to be seen.
You mean surface LRT construction. Surface section construction was relatively quick on Eglinton but there's no way you can say the same for the underground portion.

Something I noticed - despite being grade separated, Humber College doesn't have any fare gates. Furthermore, the renders show fare machines being on platform.

Similarly the Crosstown stations don't have faregates in the rendering but TTC has successfully got ML to install faregates at every underground station. That fare machine could be just a reloading machine like they have at TTC stations.

I highly doubt they'll let people onto the platform without paying at such a busy station. I really hope they'll force people to tap out with a vending machine inside in case they "forget" to buy a fare.

Back