News   Jul 26, 2024
 828     0 
News   Jul 26, 2024
 2.1K     2 
News   Jul 26, 2024
 1.8K     3 

Fez Batik to be turned into homeless shelter

The generation that follows the echo boomers won't want to inherit their tired watering holes once they've all swum upstream to spawn. This part of town has evolved out of all recognition over the past 30 years, and there is no reason why it won't continue to do so once the demographic echo boom goes bust.

I live in the district. Obviously there are lots of problems, and I've seen and heard about many of them, but it isn't this shootout zone that some people make it out to be. Of course, neither is Jane and Finch or Malvern, as much as the Sun might want us to believe.

adma, that term is offensive. please subsititue with more modern euphemisms such as vinnie, dude or joe.

The city has created a high-risk area by limiting all new clubs to the entertainment district. If the city changed its by-laws to allow clubs to open up in other areas than the clubs in the entertainment district would suffer and ultimately close.
I don't see why they'd close. Things would just be more spread-out (which probably makes a lot of sense). Toronto's pretty much alone in planning circles for forcing its clubs into this one zone.

i bet if they tried to build a gay club or a club for people in wheelchairs, it would be met with the same response.

of course the gays would be harassed by at least a few drunk morons or some para's chairs pushed, etc...

.... and these ^^ would be the excuses of some owners and people for not locating such a club there, because they "really" care about the struggle of others and their safety. bull friggen shit!

they don't give a shit about the homeless (or in the above case would about gays or para's), etc. they're just using it as an excuse to keep the undesirables from clashing with their style and atmosphere. the district is a place for tough guys, not for queers, cripples and bums. nobody wants to be reminded of anal penetration, injury and bankruptcy when they're livin' the high life, beating their chest like the alpha males they are, getting drunk, blowing the paycheque on drinks, etc.

the last thing you want to worry about when you're blowing your money pretending to be someone - is being homeless.

the last thing you want to worry about when you're driving home drunk - is ending up in a wheelchair.

the last thing you want to worry about when you're acting all tough and picking fights - is getting knocked out by some homo stronger than you.

these things dont fit into the "i'm a big man who is better than everybody" "gonna live forever" and "nothing is ever gonna happen to me" and "i'm always gonna be rich" lifestyle.

this whole situation brings another real situation and issue to the spotlight - the danger in the district. that should be addressed. if you can't build a shelter in the district because of violence, it's the violence that should be the issue, not the shelter.

maybe they should build a police station and jail over there.

As a middle aged gay man I feel safe strolling through high-energy "clubland" ( sounds like a seal theme park on the ice floes ) on summer nights at the weekend. I might as well be the Invisible Man for all the attention I get from the young crowd - who are so wrapped up in their bonding rituals that I can safely observe without being observed.

I couldn't care less if they built a gay club or a 'wheelchair club' in the club district...the point is, they're still clubs. A homeless shelter is not a club. It has nothing to do with making people feel bad and everything to do with fitting in to the character of the neighbourhood.

And I've also been walking through the neighbourhood at all hours of the night for the past two years and never felt like I was in any danger (and the stretch of Richmond west of Peter that I walk on can be pretty dark and desolated at night, let me tell you).

the argument to keep away the homeless is not about fitting in the area, the argument is "for their safety".

the owners who used the safety stance just shot themselves in the foot. they have indirectly admitted that their establishments are responsable for an increase of danger in the area.

This is getting bogged down in politics, which isn't what it's about... it's about sound planning.

My only concern walking through clubland on a Saturday night is getting barfed on.

Wow - some mass generalizations about the tens of thousands of Torontonians and tourists from all walks of life who go out to have a good time in the entertainment district...

I wouldn't overemphasize the tourist part with respect to the clubbing aspect of the entertainment district. It is the restaurants and theatres that attract the out-of-towners more than the brain-softening boom-box night clubs and shooting galleries.

Clubland is one of the most distinctive districts in our city at the moment. Does it draw young people from beyond 905?

I know plenty of Americans who spend time there whenever they are in Toronto.

Back