News   Jul 26, 2024
 828     0 
News   Jul 26, 2024
 2.1K     2 
News   Jul 26, 2024
 1.8K     3 

Fez Batik to be turned into homeless shelter

At least the homeless would be sleeping, instead of jamming the sidewalks the way the prime of Woodbridge youth does over there every night on the weekend.

Speaking from the point of view of someone who lives three blocks south of the club district I can safely say putting a shelter in this area is a poor idea. It is a violent, noisy area on the weekends and doesn't offer a lot of other services that could be beneficial to homeless people. The location at Peter and Richmond is the epicenter of the club district. Peter street is closed every Friday and Saturday night by police to limit the vehicular traffic circling Richmond and Adelaide. Would you want a couple cop cruisers with their flashy lights on parked outside your sleeping quarters?

Speaking strictly from a resident's viewpoint I can pretty well guarantee you that no one on this forum would want to live at this particular intersection, let alone homeless people who will definitely be adversely affected by this location.

I lived at the corner of Simcoe and Richmond streets for two months and I never got a good night's sleep on the weekend's. Drunken people yelling, and fighting created an unpleasant atmosphere and the occasional gun shot did nothing to ease the nerves. :p

Shame on city hall for forcing the most helpless people in our community into a poor location.

Re: Re: Fez Batik to be turned into homeless shelter

There you have it - the problem is the clubs and their patrons, not the homeless. Time to start shutting them down.

the club district used to be a fun place. it has turned to crap over the years. it would be good for toronto to start a new club scene from scratch.

The noisy club district hasn't always been the noisy club district, and it won't always be the noisy club district, but for the time being it is the noisy club district - so why would anyone move there and then be surprised that they've moved into ... the noisy club district?

Perhaps locating the shelter there takes into account the longer term picture - that one day this won't be the noisy club district anymore?

Whether clubland is desirable or not is besides the point, and a different issue altogether. If homeless shelters are some clandestine strategy for killing clubland, then that's pretty insane, as its replacement with shelter-land would hardly constitute progress for the area.

For the record I'd just like to say that I was not complaining about the noise. Simply stating it wouldn't be a good location for sleeping on a Friday or Saturday night.

In regards to the desire to evict all the clubs and shut down one of the only places to party in the city; I, for one am disappointed by the attitude of some of the forumers on this board. There are people who like to go to clubs and party. I am one of those people, however I rarely frequent the clubs in the entertainment district.

Every major city should have a club district of some sort for its residents and tourists alike. It brings life, vitality, and economic prosperity for the city as well as many people who rely on the entertainment industry for income such as myself.

The city has created a high-risk area by limiting all new clubs to the entertainment district. If the city changed its by-laws to allow clubs to open up in other areas than the clubs in the entertainment district would suffer and ultimately close.

There you have it - the problem is the clubs and their patrons, not the homeless. Time to start shutting them down.

You're quite intolerant for a militant progressive, eh?

Is there anyone keen on street being violent, with occasional gunfire, as descibed upthread? The cause of that problem, which is not the homeless, is one that should be removed.

Occasional gunfire? There's been one gun murder in years. Don't turn into the Toronto Sun.

^ I doubt that. The club district is here to stay. If anything it would only get bigger if the city hadn't capped the amount of licenses it can hand out for bars/clubs in that vicinity.

The market for bars is there and there is money to be made. These club owners aren't going anywhere.

"Occasional gunfire? There's been one gun murder in years. Don't turn into the Toronto Sun."

Work in the district for a year and you'll find out about all sorts of thing's that happen you never hear about.

As a homeless shelter, it isn't a bad location for the homeless geographically. I think people would get used to it pretty fast.

I do have a hard time believing that no one else made the owners a better offer than the city considering what a terrific club location it's at, with a nice big patio.

A good point is also made in the article - do you want a shelter for a lot of people who may have substance abuse problems near so many bars and clubs?

Ah. Drunken hobos knocked about by drunken Ginos, night after night. Gotta get that on Youtube

Back