News   Jul 26, 2024
 2K     2 
News   Jul 26, 2024
 1.7K     3 

Fez Batik to be turned into homeless shelter

B

boiler2000

toronto.ctv.ca/servlet/an...orontoHome

Sort of a strange proposal, right smack in the middle of clubland, on the corner of Peter and Richmond. Plus, this particular bar is on a corner with a widened sidewalk, which has made for a nice patio... Doesn't seem like a reasonable place for a shelter to me.

Thoughts?

I think the point is quite reasonable: why would the city build a refuge for people often suffering from problems with drinking and drugs in the city's centre of drinking and drugs? Even a few blocks away would be a much better site. What about some place closer to Spadina, or perhaps west of there in a more residential setting.

I guess they're taking the Sam Malone approach to recovery from alcoholism.

what?

what?

i don't think so. why do the homeless and government housing get central locations in the core? Send these folks to Scarborugh please and then I won't mind paying them to squat.

I live about twenty seconds' walk from Fez Batik, and at the risk of being claled a NIMBY, I really don't think that a homeless shelter belongs here. And it's not because it's nearby, it's for the reasons already stated...a homeless shelter in the middle of the entertainment district?

I hardly ever visit the district myself, but I think it's great for the city that it exists. A homeless shelter a) isn't in keeping with the general 'party' theme of the area, b) wastes a great location that, as already noted, has a great patio area, and c) again as already noted is a horrible choice for an area overflowing with booze and drugs on any given thursday, friday, or saturday night.

And choosing a homeless shelter because it has high celings and a nice kitchen? Is that really all the planning that goes into locating a place like this? Are downtown locations really so scarce that this is the only place they can find? I'd really prefer a place that was closer to me but not right on one of the most prominent corners of the ED...it's just short-sighted.

This is a horrible, horrible idea. Who comes up with these ideas? Surely they are of limited thought capacity.

Have they seen that area on a late Friday or Saturday night? It's freakin bedlam down there. A bunch of drunk and stoned guys/girls on the edge of explosion. Throw in one poor drunk homeless dude who may just have a reason to be bitter at the world and bam - I say death within months of it opening.

I hope this doesn't go through.

That doesn't seem like a great spot for a homeless shelter. I'm surprised Fez Batik has closed it's doors - I thought it did quite well for itself.

The clubs are of course protesting the decision. I don't think this has any chance of getting approval.

Who's the councillor down there? Adam Vaughn?

If the city is serious about tackling the entertainment district, then maybe this is a great idea. Maybe one of Adam Vaughan's stealth moves.

The Entertainment District is simply the most dangerous place to be in Toronto between the hours of midnight and 3AM.

Killing one of the city's biggest revenue generators (even bigger if Miller imposes a liquor tax) isn't a wise move.

Every club within the vicinity is fighting this hard. I know several of them personally who will not stand for this and will take it to court.

It's not gonna happen... what was the city thinking? That these millionaire club owners would just sit there and not use their powerful resources to fight it?

This planned shelter is to replace the temporary one on Bay + Dundas, which right now is much better suited than the Fez Batik location. This shelter is the reason why Nathan Philips Square is now homeless free, so I support it existing somewhere downtown, but not at the cost of killing our entertainment district.

That doesn't seem like a great spot for a homeless shelter. I'm surprised Fez Batik has closed it's doors - I thought it did quite well for itself.
Same owners as Gypsy Co-Op which also recently closed its doors. I guess the '90s are over.

Fez Batik was slammed out of nowhere by the new college student hangout Cantina Charlies. JOE's general manager was also fired after Cantina showed up and sucked in all their patrons.

It's too bad about Gypsy Co-Op... I hope it reopens with a similar use. It was a nice place for a hang out bar.

Same owners as Gypsy Co-Op which also recently closed its doors. I guess the '90s are over.

It seems like the only enduring name left in the club district is Tonic.

... and Distrikt.

Actually, now that I think of it, quite a few clubs have maintained their names and management for a long period of time. Budo, BLVD Room, The Guvernment, Lot 332, Mink... I guess that's the hallmark of a healthy club district.

Club Homeless is not a welcome addition.

Back