News   May 02, 2024
 332     0 
News   May 02, 2024
 199     0 
News   May 02, 2024
 219     0 

Fare evasion on the TTC...

Today I took the st clair street car with a couple fare inspectors. We went all the way from keele and st clair to dufferin with no fare inspections. Then a drunk young adult possibly homeless person got on the streetcar. All of a sudden the fare inspectors said they wanted to see everyone's proof of payment. Is that how fare inspection works? They basically just stand there and do nothing as long as everyone is well dressed. Then the rift raft comes out and they ask for everyone's fare payment just not to single out the one person. TTC inspectors well dressed people can be riding the rocket for free too, maybe you shouldn't make assumptions.

Huh. Fare evasion costs you more than three times the amount for taking a dump on the subway.
Meanwhile the beggars carry on undeterred at the College St. and other downtown subway entrances. It’s friggin anarchy down there. I’m tired of stations that smell like piss with characters out of the Walking Dead demanding tuppence.

Last edited:
So if you swiped onto transit within the 2-hr transfer, but are still on transit at 2hrs and 1min- you are a fare evader. Keep your timers on folks!

2CB86536-39CC-431D-BB1C-2EFDE49C2D09.jpeg

^I have days where I am running around and on and off transit all day. I may tap on eight or nine times in a day, some boardings being a new trip and some being transfers en route. It’s always an interesting exercise to look up on Presto afterwards to see when I was dinged for a new fare and when a gap in my travel was treated as a transfer. It is far from uniform and in no way matches what I would have paid under token and paper transfer days. I figure it works out in the end, the overs and unders cancel out. But I am totally dependent on the machine to decide when to charge a new fare. A two-hour rule makes sense if the question is whether to honour a transfer versus charge a new fare at the point of the tap on. But using the tap on as a “meter is running” event is ridiculous. I’m lucky to have not been fare checked at the wrong moment. Oh, and with a GO ride thrown in, it gets nuttier.....

- Paul

So if you swiped onto transit within the 2-hr transfer, but are still on transit at 2hrs and 1min- you are a fare evader. Keep your timers on folks!

View attachment 233833

TTC later posted an updated and said that information was incorrect. Apparently even they don’t understand the inscrutable PRESTO rules.

Gee!!!.............TTC is dumb trying to collect another fare well someone is on a vehicle when time has expired. Any system vehicle I have been on regardless time has expired on my transfer or card, I will be allow to finish my trip on that vehicle.

Another case of TTC one hand doesn't know the rule and trying to come up with another rule on the fly, while the other hand does. Ask an any enforcer of rules and you will get different interpretation of the rules from them.

Here a question, what is the rule for the new fare policy for people still paying with a token or with a student/Senior ticket???? Then been no notice for these fares other than TTC refusing to refund riders who have these fare. Know a number of riders who still these media and have close to $100 in these fare media with TTC saying you are shit out of luck. I can see riders paying an extra $.10 when using a ticket at a station or on a buses.

TTC corrected themselves, deleting that original incorrect tweet.

1583187167147.png

If it happens to me -- then I'll be totally happy to resolve in court over it if a fare inspector contradicts what TTC said earlier. Just by being stuck on a slightly slower transit vehicle between stops means that this rule is not practical.

And such a circus would anger me enough to feel like possibly raising money for a Toronto Star advertisement on this silliness just to shame the unfairness $325 transit evasion fines versus $37.50 car parking ticket fines. There are people who genuinely get stuck having difficulty paying. Why should one pay more than a parking fine for a failed genuine attempt to pay a transit fare? $325, really?

My spouse ran as a city councillor, and it would be like shooting fish in a barrel for a to crowdfund a community advertising campaign in order to shame this silly fine-asymmetry situation.

Anyway, TTC confirmed in 2018 that it's a "first tap last tap" rule.

1583187101653.png

Even as recently as a few days ago, they reconfirmed to me:

1583188275290.png

This drama (which I participated in, along with hundreds of tweeps) hit CityNews:

Summary, TTC should be clearer in their messaging & training, and fare inspectors should be consistent with this training.

- 2 hour timed transfer is a "first tap to last tap" rule.
- As long as your last tap is prior to 2 hour, you may stay on the vehicle until your destination.

Last edited:
So more fuel for the fire.

Whee!

While TTC has clarified their rules, it's not consistent across all agencies.

York Region Transit asks you tap again for your 2 hour timed transfer.

1583194163785.png

Now, to stir this fare-evasion pot some more,

You remember Kyle Ashley, a local bicycle activist...

He tweeted this:

1583194266405.png

The fare insecurity saga continues.

Attachments

• 1583194024089.png
    1583194024089.png
    301.3 KB · Views: 333
Last edited:

Back