News   Oct 02, 2024
 98     0 
News   Oct 02, 2024
 313     0 
News   Oct 02, 2024
 393     0 

Facebook: Rename Robert Moses State Parkway after Jane Jacobs

This is one reason why I am so glad the one off-off-Broadway show that I saw was Boozy. I learned so much about Moses in that wacky production. The final great touch - the Ohio Theatre was in the Lower Manhattan Expressway's path!

Rename Robert Moses Parkway DOWNSTATE instead!

CDL: I read this topic with interest-one thing I recall was the fight over the Manhattan expressways that Robert Moses wanted to tear Manhattan apart by building. Jane Jacobs was the leader in the fight to keep the Crosstown Expressway from possibly destroying Greenwich Village. On a PBS program I remember watching concerning NYC history about Robert Moses and his road building efforts I remember that she had the courage to stand up to the NYS power broker. I remember a filmed interview on the program-he came off as arrogant to those that did not agree with him as well as in other filmed interviews. I was surprised to see on my Upstate travels how many things were named after him-including the NY Power Authority Power Vista at Niagara Falls.

I feel that if any parkway is renamed it should be the Robert Moses Causeway in SW Suffolk County that goes across Great South Bay to Captree and Robert Moses State Park-where the Atlantic Ocean beaches are. I wonder how big the political fight and fallout if anyone was to suggest this! I really wonder if the average Western NYer realizes who Robert Moses was and what he was in NYS history-he certainly left his mark Downstate with the LI Parkway system and parks like Jones Beach State Park-if something is named for Jane Jacobs it should be something near NYC and not out in Western NY. Downstate is where it should be! LI MIKE

Jane Jacobs and the Future of NY exhibition in NYC!

CDL and everyone: Currently in NYC is an exhibition titled "Jane Jacobs and the Future of New York" - at The Municipal Art Society of NY - 457 Madison Avenue at 51st Street-Manhattan. This will be thru January 5,2008 and is sponsored by the Rockefeller Foundation. Web address:
WWW.FUTUREOFNY.ORG/
I am going to visit this exhibit as soon as I get the chance in the coming weeks and I'll report back. LI MIKE

Jane Jacobs and the Future of New York: Good exhibit!

Everyone: I visited the exhibit on 1/3-I found it interesting. They have a scale model of the proposed Crosstown Expressway on display as well as a remembrance of what Jane Jacobs accomplished in the 60s-I did not know she re-located to Toronto as a protest to the US Draft to protect her sons. She was active in local Toronto politics-all her books are on sale at the MAS Store.
Due to unprecedented demand it has been extended until January 26th.
I hope to get back-and purchase her last book-before the exhibit closes.
Happy New Year 2008 to all!! LI MIKE

Back