799     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 727     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 305     0 

Evocative Images of Lost Toronto

Spencer Heater Co of Canada.

Go to Internet Archives/ Might's Toronto Directories -

App 20 years of city directories on the above site.

Regards,
J T

Last edited:
As is well known to some, and less well known to others, the 1856/57 panoramas taken from the roof of the Rossin Hotel are part of a set of images that are believed to be the earliest photos of Toronto.

According to the Toronto Archive website:

When the Province of Canada was formed in 1840 by the Act of Union, the fledgling country did not have a permanent seat of government. Several cities, including Toronto, provided a temporary home for the parliament. There were obvious advantages in being the capital of Canada and competition to win this prize was fierce. The issue came to a head in 1857 when Toronto, Montreal, Kingston, Quebec City and Ottawa each submitted a report to the Colonial Office stating why it should be chosen as the capital.

As part of its report, the City of Toronto included a set of photographs championing the advantages of its streets, buildings and its physical situation on Lake Ontario. These photographs are the earliest known images taken in Toronto. They give us a fascinating glimpse into our past, clearly showing the street grid that still exists, but also showing how much has changed. These photos proved to be an inspiration for author Michael Redhill when he wrote his book Consolation, which won the Toronto Book Award in 2007.

Here are some others from that commissioned set:

e9643f76.jpg

4487393f.jpg

3a306f1c.jpg

62c218df.jpg

666b3d3b.jpg

04a30eae.jpg

7e7c9fed.jpg

c810defa.jpg

4e45f7f0.jpg

934d785e.jpg

16f4f708.jpg

2d6d7466.jpg

35cc9e67.jpg

19448883.jpg

c7cf1f49.jpg

272f6862.jpg

15850722.jpg

1d0a3017.jpg

Interesting to see exterior shutters that are functional and used for their intended purpose, unlike the faux shutters you often see on houses/buildings today. Imagine all the solid fuel being consumed by all those chimney stacks. Fascinating photos. I never tire of looking at them. Effectively these photos give us a time machine to look backward in time. Great stuff.

But were those shutters used all that often? There aren't many buildings, even then, that had them according to these photographs - unless they were removed in certain seasons.

However, if one looks at some of the intrinsic architectural qualities embodied by the Victorian building on the left, (namely the high ceilings, the large windows flooding the interior with natural light, aspects that have nothing to do with applied decoration) versus the rather squat Georgian building on the right, in which building, U.S., would you rather have had a shop, an office or an apartment?

You mean if I was transported back in time would I prefer to live or work in a Georgian building with Georgian furnishings versus a Victorian building with Victorian furnishings? In general, Georgian. probably - the furniture would be hand made by craftsmen rather than mass produced in one of those overdecorated styles spawned by mass-production. The Georgians knew when to stop, which is closer to the Modernist aesthetic that I'm used to compared to the Neo-Goth Victorian approach.

If I could get permission from the City, I would rent a cherry picker and get hoisted to the height of the original photographer on the roof of the 5 storey Rossin House to take some "Nows".

If I could get permission from the City, I would rent a cherry picker and get hoisted to the height of the original photographer on the roof of the 5 storey Rossin House to take some "Nows".

That would be a wonderful achievement, Mustapha - but on second thought, you may find yourself photographing nothing but a wall of windows on all sides.

Ladies + Gentlemen, I have a problem. ( I have many, - not here, not now! - LOL)

Come the dawn, Mr John Hutchison's (boots/shoes) shingle was displayed on buildings - 36/38/40 Wellington Street East, during the above picture taking in 1856, aka Hutchison and Company.

Wiki - List of oldest buildings and structures in Toronto, lists these property's erection - 1854/5. aka John Hutchison. (builder?)

Caverhill's Toronto City Directory, for 1859 - 60, has the above business at 149 King street East, the name "John Hutchison", only is mentioned (as a propietor?) there is no "and Company".

Wiki also lists No 42 Wellington E at the above tyme; it was clearly built after the Toronto pic.

There are also other questions that enter: There are three seperate structures involved, 36, 38, and 40, all built at differing tymes. One only has to go to the rear of the property and note

the bonding of the brick, as well as the differing lintel style; the frontage, No 36 has the sills slightly hirer than No 38/40.

Comments?

Regards, J T

Last edited:
I may have a solution to your 'problem'

Could it be Thomas Hutchi(n)son & not John?
This is from Brown’s Toronto General Directory, 1856
I guess Leader lane was once known as Berczy street.
Wellington.jpg

Also, in the 1856 pic there are twelve windows across each of the 2nd, 3rd & 4th floors – which would lead me to believe 42 was built at the same time – and an additional floor was added later.

I have 'borrowed' some pictures from Mustapha's then & now.

f1498_it0004.jpg

fo0124_f0124_fl0002_id0088.jpg

f0124_fl0003_id0108.jpg

DSC_0018-1.jpg

Last edited:
...and an additional floor was added later.

Possibly for Samuel Trees, who moved his business from 154 King East:

http://images92.torontopubliclibrary.ca/idc/groups/public/documents/books/tcd_1874-r-333.gif

…to 42 Wellington East around 1875:

http://images92.torontopubliclibrary.ca/idc/groups/public/documents/books/tcd_1875-r-491.gif

A brief summary of S. Trees & Co. from 1877, which mentions a four storey building at 42:

http://www.archive.org/stream/cihm_24893#page/n487/mode/2up

Oddly, though, the detailed 1892 Goad still shows 42 (like 36-40) as three storeys (see attached image).

36 Wellington East became the Hotel Bodega for a while; here’s an ad from 1898:

http://www.archive.org/stream/torontoassummerr00smiluoft#page/4/mode/2up

Perhaps the window sills on 36 were raised slightly at that time, though offhand I can’t think why.

Attachments

• 1892well.jpg
    1892well.jpg
    47.2 KB · Views: 282
I don't know if this is for the better or worse!

My mis take! (spelling of John Hutchison should be with the "n".)

Yes, I saw (Caverhill's - 1859/60) Hutchinson, Thomas, of the Pantechnetheca , importer of British and foreign goods, manufacturer and dealer in ready made clothing, etc., wholesale and retail, 45, 47, 49 King St e, and 24 Colborne st., house 236 Jarvis st.

Also:

Full page add (page No 320 in the above) reads, Thos Hutchinson, Nephew + Co, - 45, 47, 49, King Street East.

But . . .

The name on the building's frontage reads, " ... HUTCHISON + CO"!

Also:

Fisher+ Tailor's Toronto Directory 1874, lists the former Berczy Street as Exchange Alley. There is no owner/tenant/business, related to the any of the above at the Wellington Street address.

One thing that cannot be discounted is that the properties may have suffered fire damage at one or more tymes, leading to the change in sill hight at the No 36 building. note that in the 1866 pic, all sills are at the same measure; no longer true.

I always looked upon No 42 as being a later build, your point brought that my asumption is incorect. (LOL) Allied Properties REIT will start a reno on the 2nd/3rd floors shortly; I will try for access + inspection.

Regards,
J T

As an aside, it may be worth noting here that No 44, 50, 52, Wellington E is an 1800's building also, it having it's entire face removed + replaced by it's present 1940 - 50s form.

Last edited:
"Oddly, though, the detailed 1892 Goad's still shows 42 (like 36-40) as three storeys (see attached image)." QUOTE. wwwebster.

I too have noted the Goad's map, but presently there is a void at the back of No 38, and upon inspection has been there for many years. it is shown on some, but not all serveys.

Regards,
J T

I don't know if this is for the better or worse!

My mis take! (spelling of John Hutchison should be with the "n".)

Yes, I saw (Caverhill's - 1859/60) Hutchinson, Thomas, of the Pantechnetheca , importer of British and foreign goods, manufacturer and dealer in ready made clothing, etc., wholesale and retail, 45, 47, 49 King St e, and 24 Colborne st., house 236 Jarvis st.

Also:

Full page add (page No 320 in the above) reads, Thos Hutchinson, Nephew + Co, - 45, 47, 49, King Street East.

But . . .

The name on the building's frontage reads, " ... HUTCHISON + CO"!

Also:

Fisher+ Tailor's Toronto Directory 1874, lists the former Berczy Street as Exchange Alley. There is no owner/tenant/business, related to the any of the above at the Wellington Street address.

One thing that cannot be discounted is that the properties may have suffered fire damage at one or more tymes, leading to the change in sill hight at the No 36 building. note that in the 1866 pic, all sills are at the same measure; no longer true.

I always looked upon No 42 as being a later build, your point brought that my asumption is incorect. (LOL) Allied Properties REIT will start a reno on the 2nd/3rd floors shortly; I will try for access + inspection.

Regards,
J T

As an aside, it may be worth noting here that No 44, 50, 52, Wellington E is an 1800's building also, it having it's entire face removed + replaced by it's present 1940 - 50s form.

One more view for the mix from 1954:

wellingtoneast.jpg

Back