News   Mar 28, 2024
 35     0 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 144     0 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 242     0 

Evocative Images of Lost Toronto

Cast of play produced by women of East Toronto, and William Hillock - upper right 1908 TPL
Cast of play produced by women of East Toronto, and William Hillock-upper right 1908   TPL.jpg

I'm interested in the old route that allowed Winchester St. (beside the Zoo) to connect with the old Don Mills Rd. (now Broadview).
The pathway crossed the Don River and two RR tracks before reaching the Danforth intersection.
This 1947 aerial photo assisted in my understanding of the changes since 1947.
Winchester St. now comes to an abrupt end at the Bayview Extension.
Winchester St. to Don Mills Rd.jpg

Some maps (this 1890) name the extension of Winchester (even north of Danforth) as Don Mills Rd..

Here's the present day layout:

Last edited:
King George VI took that route in 1939. It avoided taking the Prince Edward Viaduct and all those bad memories about Mrs. Simpson.

Of course that's why it's named Royal Drive.
It's the only time Royalty used that route to Riverdale Park.
And I think you, Geoblog, speak with tongue-in-cheek when you refer to Edward & Mrs. Simpson.

Okay, sorry, everybody, but they looked so lonely standing there. Couldn't resist. :D

Thanks for that image of York U.'s Scott Library, Geogblog.
I was certainly surprised to see it because of a co-incidence.......There's currently an exhibit of some of my photography at that Scott Library building.
It's titled, "Portraits of Digital Canada" and I encourage UTers in the York neighbourhood to have a look.

I just did a date search in the City Archives, and it turned up. I enjoyed that exhibit though. Portraits of a vanished age. A good match for a building in a university which embraced the age in question.

Not Toronto...but still evocative...................An aviation first, one hundred years ago!
British aviators John Alcock and Arthur Brown made the first non-stop transatlantic flight on June 14, 1919.
Captain John Alcock stowing provisions aboard Vickers Vimy aircraft before flight from Newfoundland to Ireland.
Captain_John_Alcock_stowing_provisions_aboard_Vickers_Vimy_aircraft_before_trans-Atlantic_flig...jpg

Back