News   Jul 12, 2024
 804     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 731     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 307     0 

Evocative Images of Lost Toronto

If not Teperman, there was Advance Wreaking as well as many others.

Regards,
J T

Film House

mcmaster3.jpg

The next building to the west, 22 Front St. remains in place.
It was known as Film House in the 1960/70/80s era.
This was a motion picture production centre with processing labs, editing and sound recording studios.
Film House is gone, but the building appears to be prospering.

Attachments

• Film House 22 Front W 2009.jpg
    Film House 22 Front W 2009.jpg
    61.8 KB · Views: 283
While we’re in the neighbourhood, the Board of Trade Building design competition, runners up:

v2n4plate1a.gif

v2n4plate1b.gif

v2n6plate1.gif

v2n6plate2.gif

The winner:

v2n2plate1.gif

v2n2plate2.gif

Fascinating! Interesting how prevalent the Romanesque/Ruskinian/William Morris aesthetic was in the early 1890's in all three schemes.....

Board_of_Trade_Building_Front_Street.jpg

Ruskin sketches 1850's:

ruskin.jpg
ruskin-41.jpg

William Morris 1880's:

williammorris-morrisco-1883-kennet2.jpg

Last edited:
I know, but it seems that in all of those photos from the 50s - 70s depicting the final days of a grand old building, it's always Teperman that rears its ugly head.

Definitely--while there was Advance and Greenspoon and whatever else, Teperman *ruled* the wrecking field. Indeed, their blaze-orange logo w/the hatchet-like T just plain howled bad-ass: "yes, we wreck, so what's it to ya")

Definitely--while there was Advance and Greenspoon and whatever else, Teperman *ruled* the wrecking field. Indeed, their blaze-orange logo w/the hatchet-like T just plain howled bad-ass: "yes, we wreck, so what's it to ya")

Well put, adma! Here's a pic I took of the demolition of the Temple Building in 1970 with my Kodak Instamatic:

2007-09-06-2326-55_edited.jpg

" Here's a pic I took of the demolition of the Temple Building in 1970 with my Kodak Instamatic" QUOTE CHARIOTEER.

After taking the pic, did you repair into Simpson's humidor (opposite) for a cigar?

Regards,
J T

" Here's a pic I took of the demolition of the Temple Building in 1970 with my Kodak Instamatic" QUOTE CHARIOTEER.

After taking the pic, did you repair into Simpson's humidor (opposite) for a cigar?

Regards,
J T

At that age I was more likely to go up to Sam's and buy a new 45rpm record!

Great photo, JT! Here's a shot from 1901 of the Temple Building in its prime, with the Independent Order of Foresters Arch in preparation for the Royal Visit. I've started a new set of pages, organized by subject, and I've started testing things out with a Historic Toronto Ornamental Gates and Arches page:
f1568_it0504.jpg

The page also has a link to a photo of the arch lit up at night, its relocation (?) to the CNE, the Manufacturers Arch, just south of Queens Park, and of course the Alexandra Gates and arch.

"Great photo, JT!" QUOTE seemsartless.

A great pic it is; the honour however is not mine but thecharioteer's,

he having been the one behind the lens.

Regards,
J T

Last edited:
remains of Temple Building

Here's a pic I took of the demolition of the Temple Building in 1970 with my Kodak Instamatic:

2007-09-06-2326-55_edited.jpg

Thanks for that 1970 photo.
One of my favorite artifacts at the Guild Inn is this piece of the Temple Building.
Your photo shows it in its original place!

Attachments

• Temple Bldg Guild June 2009.jpg
    Temple Bldg Guild June 2009.jpg
    105.8 KB · Views: 236

Back