News   Jul 12, 2024
 864     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 776     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 326     0 

Evocative Images of Lost Toronto

Based on the following photos, it would appear that the CPR building was constructed between 1912 and 1915 and lasted until the late 70's/early 80's:

simcoe2.jpg

Interesting artefact--an apparitional figure, dimly registered on the light sensitive emulsion as he moved through the frame. In this case, leaving hardly more than a trace, just the ghost of his shiny boots and black wool clad calves....

one wonders where he was going!

b4534d56.png

Interesting artefact--an apparitional figure, dimly registered on the light sensitive emulsion as he moved through the frame. In this case, leaving hardly more than a trace, just the ghost of his shiny boots and black wool clad calves....

one wonders where he was going!

b4534d56.png

One can begin to understand the beliefs in apparitions and poltergeists that emerged during the early days of photography.
Such fakery was rampant!

Based on the following photos, it would appear that the CPR building was constructed between 1912 and 1915 and lasted until the late 70's/early 80's:

I think it was more like mid-70s--it was already several years gone by the time Roy Thomson Hall started construction. (But it did make it onto the nascent THB Inventory--not that that helped matters.)

The more westerly sheds were the last to go.

Regards,
J T

I think it was more like mid-70s--it was already several years gone by the time Roy Thomson Hall started construction. (But it did make it onto the nascent THB Inventory--not that that helped matters.)

I remember watching it being torn down in the summer of either 1977 or 1978.

Question: What has ever happened to the stained glass windows (upper) in the

Crosse + Blackwell Building?

Regards,
J T

Speaking of old things, how about those hydro poles on Bay St! ‘If those poles could talk’ etc.

I’ve no idea how old they are—at least several decades I would reckon….

74d354e5.gif

1f8ab424.gif

1536f1e0.gif

077ec5fc.gif

I remember watching it being torn down in the summer of either 1977 or 1978.

For many, its most memorable element (esp. to Royal Alex/Mirvish-restaurant regulars) was not the street facades, but a humongous retro Canadian Pacific wall ad covering its western party-wall face. These days, that element in itself would probably be a cherished landmark.

Come to think of it, btw/this and the Eaton's warehouses, 77/78 might have been almost the last possible moment when these kinds of industrial hulks could be done away with w/o a fight. An era before 401 Richmond, Liberty Village, etc...

In this photo you can see the last bit of the UCC complex on Adelaide looking towards Peter---a stable or garage, that escaped the wrecking crew.

e2f353c9.jpg

1912 (I would suspect this was the demolition of the UCC building closer to John, behind the collegiate boarding houses, not the building in deepend's pic):

adelaidewestofsimcoe.jpg

UCC-1.jpg

Last edited:
Speaking of old things, how about those hydro poles on Bay St! ‘If those poles could talk’ etc.

I’ve no idea how old they are—at least several decades I would reckon….

Could these be the same poles (probably not but I love the pic)....

Bay/Adelaide1930:

bayadelaide1930.jpg

Or here (1940's)?

bay.jpg

Last edited:

Back