1.4K     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.1K     1 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 408     0 

Evocative Images of Lost Toronto

Danforth Avenue, looking E from Broadview Ave. 1937 TPL
Danforth Avenue, looking E from Broadview Ave. 1937  TPL.jpg

House, Louisa St., south side, west of Bay St., 1954 ...demolished to make way for New City Hall TPL
House, Louisa St., south side, west of Bay St., 1954 ...demolished to make way for New City Ha...jpg

I thought it may have been in reference to the U2 incident over Russia.
But (I looked it up) that didn't happen until 1960.
For those unfamiliar with that cold-war event, look up: "U2 spy plane Russia."

Isn't it interesting how a word or phrase can impact different generations in different ways?
Now that I think about it, U2 probably reminds many, much younger than I, of an Irish rock band.

Last edited:
I thought it may have been in reference to the U2 incident over Russia.
But (I looked it up) that didn't happen until 1960.
For those unfamiliar with that cold-war event, look up: "U2 spy plane Russia."

Isn't it interesting how a word or phrase can impact different generations in different ways?
Now that I think about it, U2 probably reminds many, much younger than I, of an Irish rock band.

It's probably intended as nothing more than "For You, Too", in telegraphic licence-plate form. Still, it seems fairly "innovative" for billboard advertising in 1954 (and all the more unusual for *not* including an image of the car in question)

The last days for a dead end sign; This Dead End sign was causing some concern to the owners of this cemetery at Winchester and Sumach Sts.; so Toronto works commissioner Ray Bremner agreed today that it would be removed. H. F. Clark; general manager of Toronto General Burying Grounds; owner of the cemetery; said the sign was macabre.

Necropolis Cemetery 1970 TPL
Necropolis Cemetery  1970  TPL.jpg

Back