Government-House2.gif

gove-house4.gif

gove-house3.gif

gove-house2.gif

s0071_it6102.gif

f1568_it0424.gif

f1568_it0287.gif

Last edited:
Those are great interior images of Chorley Park/Government House, thanks for sharing! Every time I see images of it I'm floored by the loss, although not surprised. Interesting to note the lightbulbs that line the ceiling like a carnival in the seventh image, and the door that seems to have been blocked off in the fourth one by the sideboard. It would be interesting to find out if any of the material was salvaged - what I'd do to get my hands on those wood carvings or ceiling medallions!

Last edited:
No doubt Chorley Park/Government House was a beautiful building with interiors that surely resembled parts of Buckingham Palace. That's what hit me hardest - the sheer extravagance and luxury of government in those days!
Although, in that regard, I'm not sure that much has changed. I experienced the same feelings of shame and embarrassment when I first entered Toronto's Metro Hall in 1992.

Those are great interior images of Chorley Park/Government House, thanks for sharing! Every time I see images of it I'm floored by the loss, although not surprised. Interesting to note the lightbulbs that line the ceiling like a carnival in the seventh image, and the door that seems to have been blocked off in the fourth one by the sideboard. It would be interesting to find out if any of the material was salvaged - what I'd do to get my hands on those wood carvings or ceiling medallions!
I am glad you knew what it was! Posts with just photos and no comments are not that helpful to those that have not seen the photos before!

I am glad you knew what it was! Posts with just photos and no comments are not that helpful to those that have not seen the photos before!

Also, not all of the pics are of Chorley Park. The ones of the grand staircase were from Government House which stood at King and Simcoe (site of Roy Thompson Hall).

I've seen a fair number of exterior shots of Chorley Park, but only a couple of the interior (one of which I don't think was posted). Thanks for sharing. When I first read about Chorley Park, I made an excursion to see the site, which, as many may know, is a park now. Nothing remains but the little bridge and remnants of the circular driveway.

I know the prevailing opinion at the time was that it was ostentatious and even tacky, and I'll agree it might not be a paragon of great architecture, but it's still part of our history, gone. Perhaps if it had always been viewed as the property of the people of Ontario (the way Rideau Hall has evolved), it could have been saved.

That would be an interesting project for a heritage group to pick up officially; put "then" photos everywhere so people walking by can compare.

Reykjavik has done this, put up big prints of old photos right on the same streets where they were taken. Of course, Reykjavik - especially its old town - is a lot smaller than Toronto.

Yonge St., looking n. from n. of Asquith Ave., 1860

pictures-r-19851_zps2be4a714.jpg

Wow, nice find of such an early photo. Do you mind if I ask where you found it? I'm particularly interested in Asquith being indicated as such, and why/when its name was changed from Bismarck.

photo was located at the Toronto Public Library....
there's actually a fair bit of detail in it, which is more in evidence here.

Untitled-2_zpsa43a807a.gif

Untitled-1_zps02dd40fe.gif

Back