News   Apr 26, 2024
 1.7K     4 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 392     0 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 982     1 

Evocative Images of Lost Toronto

thanks, alex, i appreciate the feedback

what i found fascinating is that some "evocative images of lost toronto" are posted on lampposts

That would be an interesting project for a heritage group to pick up officially; put "then" photos everywhere so people walking by can compare.

That would be an interesting project for a heritage group to pick up officially; put "then" photos everywhere so people walking by can compare.
something similar is being done using QR codes instead of photos --

The Toronto Dreams Project Sticky Plaque Division

presumably if you have an internet-enabled mobile phone (i wouldn't know) you can use the QR code to look up the web page for that location

click through to his facebook page to see some of the historical sites he's identified

Toronto Tourism:

KGrHqFHJDkEKgQ70GiBP17iuO1Rw60_3.jpg

PAMPHLET-TORONTO-TORONTOCONVENTIONANDTOURISTASSOCIATION-2IMAGES-CANDADASMOSTBEAUTIFULSUMMERCITY-1920s.jpg

POSTCARD-TORONTO-WHIMSICAL-DONTLOVEANYONEBUTMEINTORONTO-EARLY.jpg

Last edited:
Obelisk at the CNE commemorating the site of Fort Rouillé (1750 to 1759).
Is 'obelisk' the correct term for such a structure?

iso-8859-1Fort20RouillE9.jpg

Obelisk at the CNE commemorating the site of Fort Rouillé (1750 to 1759).
Is 'obelisk' the correct term for such a structure?

I think an obelisk has four sides and a pyramidal point; this might called a stela or just a column.

Bicycle racing at Woodbine.
It is said that the trophy for this race was ebony & silver and seven feet tall!

raceatWoodbine1898.jpg

I used to curl for years at the Royal Canadian Curling Club on Broadview at Queen. In those days (1980's) they had a display of old sporting trophies going back to this era when cycle racing was a big deal. Not sure it was for the same event but they did indeed have one trophy that stood 6-7 feet tall.

Until about 1929 the club was the Royal Canadian Cycling Club. Found a video on Youtube that shows a history project at the club. It includes the above image as a still and a shot of the said trophy (about 3/4 of the way through).
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mWov2hKknTs

Last edited:
I think an obelisk has four sides and a pyramidal point; this might called a stela or just a column.

Not sure when it was built, but perhaps it is a more appropriate form than an obelisk, for Canadians? After the first Brock Monument was blown up, in 1840, Thomas Young's design for a replacement was an obelisk - and partly for that reason rejected for William Thomas's design, which was more in keeping with the British tradition ( Nelson's column, the Duke of York column, Coke's monument, Wren's monument to the Great Fire, etc. ), since the Americans were using an obelisk form to commemorate George Washington in their capital.

I used to curl for years at the Royal Canadian Curling Club on Broadview at Queen. In those days (1980's) they had a display of old sporting trophies going back to this era when cycle racing was a big deal. Not sure it was for the same event but they did indeed have one trophy that stood 6-7 feet tall.

Until about 1929 the club was the Royal Canadian Cycling Club. Found a video on Youtube that shows a history project at the club. It includes the above image as a still and a shot of the said trophy (about 3/4 of the way through).
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mWov2hKknTs

Thanks for that great youtube link, gary133.
It's a fine review of an early time in Riverdale's history.
The images of the huge trophy are especially interesting (attached) - It was REAL!

Attachments

• cycling trophy.jpg
    cycling trophy.jpg
    87.8 KB · Views: 466
Plenty of old newspapers available on this web site:
http://news.google.com/newspapers#T

I'm pleased to have found this map in a 1910 edition of Toronto World.
It shows the proposed route of Danforth Rd/Military Trail in Scarborough.
That road was never completed exactly as described - but nearly so.

mapfromTorontoWorldnewspaperFeb4-1910.jpg

Plenty of old newspapers available on this web site:
http://news.google.com/newspapers#T

I'm pleased to have found this map in a 1910 edition of Toronto World.
It shows the proposed route of Danforth Rd/Military Trail in Scarborough.
That road was never completed exactly as described - but nearly so.

mapfromTorontoWorldnewspaperFeb4-1910.jpg

Quite the most amazing link, Goldie, thanks!

A bit of Lost and Found Toronto - or Then and Now, and Then...
Uncovering some interesting brick work at the old Zellers at Danforth & Victoria Park:

imag0171an.jpg

Anyone know what this place used to be?

Uncovering some interesting brick work at the old Zellers at Danforth & Victoria Park

Part of the old York Station (Grand Trunk Railway), would be my guess.

Uncovering some interesting brick work at the old Zellers at Danforth & Victoria Park:

imag0171an.jpg

Shoppers World at VicPark & Danforth (S/W corner) was once a Ford auto assembly plant (c. 1930).
The nearest train station was at Main St. (now GO station).

Back