News   Apr 26, 2024
 2.2K     4 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 486     0 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 1.1K     1 

Evocative Images of Lost Toronto

I think if it had gone ahead (demolishing Old City Hall), we'd view it almost the way we view the loss of the old Registry building to be replaced by new City Hall. Some would look at old photos and bemoan the loss, but overall I think we'd just look at the whole development, including new City Hall, somewhat positively.

I somewhat doubt it in this case, because of (a) Old City Hall being a more significant landmark than the Registry Office, and (b) the SOM-style Eaton Centre being less significant than New City Hall. Maybe the margin decreases slightly re the TD Centre replacing Carrere & Hastings' Bank of Toronto--but not enough.

In fact, the best comparison point for the "somewhat positively" might be right here, i.e. Zeidler's high-tech Galleria, Michael Snow geese and all, replacing all that old Eaton's stuff and all that Yonge St frontage...

"replacing all that old Eaton's stuff and all that Yonge St frontage... "
QUOTE.

By "stuff", are you writing about those narrow wood escalators?
(Both Eatons & Simpsons.)

Regards,
J T

I think if it had gone ahead (demolishing Old City Hall), we'd view it almost the way we view the loss of the old Registry building to be replaced by new City Hall. Some would look at old photos and bemoan the loss, but overall I think we'd just look at the whole development, including new City Hall, somewhat positively.

Your prediction would have been more likely had they eliminated all of Old City Hall with the project instead of leaving the clock tower. It's easier to move on when the only memories are in black and white; not so much when you have a 3D reminder standing tall on Queen Street. That just makes people mourn what used to be even more.

A good example of what was avoided can be found in England. Nottingham Victoria station was demolished save for the clock tower and a mall was built in its place. Makes you want to weep.

Your prediction would have been more likely had they eliminated all of Old City Hall with the project instead of leaving the clock tower. It's easier to move on when the only memories are in black and white; not so much when you have a 3D reminder standing tall on Queen Street. That just makes people mourn what used to be even more.

A good example of what was avoided can be found in England. Nottingham Victoria station was demolished save for the clock tower and a mall was built in its place. Makes you want to weep.

There's a similar protuberance on Yonge St. where the tower of Fire Hall No. 3 (built 1870) was preserved and became a landmark for the St. Charles Tavern.

TorontoFireHallNo3builtin1870.jpg

StCharles.jpg

Demolishing Old City Hall seemed reasonable to many in 1966. It strikes me from reading the article that Old City Hall was really only 66 years old at the time. It may be the case that, as long as there are people around who can remember a time before a building was ever there in the first place, that it will be a challenge to claim that said building should be protected as part of our architectural heritage.

Though "only" today would mean built in 1946--and I doubt there'd be many willing to sacrifice a 1946 City Hall...

I agree.

For the record, I'm glad they didn't remove OCH, just that had it been done, the resulting complex would likely be appreciated on it's own merits. Especially as most on this board (I assume), would have no personal recollections of OCH. Hard to miss what you've never known, would be my summation.

on saturday, walking home from downtown towards leaside through north rosedale, i spotted this sign taped to a lamppost on douglas drive here --

chorley-park-poster.jpg

here's a closeup --

chorley-park-poster-closeup.jpg

there is no indication of who posted it, no message, no opinion, no hidden agenda, no call to action... just a gorgeous picture and some facts

a picture which i had not seen before, and i'm curious where it might have come from

clearly, whoever "posted" (literally!) this image wanted to communicate something, but left it unspoken and allowed the image to stand for itself

presumably he or she laments the loss of this grand old mansion

curiously, it was posted to the north of the park, whereas the location of the image, on roxborough, is well to the south...

evocative image of lost toronto indeed

Bicycle racing at Woodbine.
It is said that the trophy for this race was ebony & silver and seven feet tall!

raceatWoodbine1898.jpg

Attachments

• newspaper ad.jpg
    newspaper ad.jpg
    91.7 KB · Views: 376
Last edited:
That's a great photo, one I hadn't yet seen of Chorley Park. The posting of the image along with some basic information is an interesting, small-scale gesture within a neighbourhood that is still realizing the value of its heritage properties. Kudos to whoever did that!

Plaque at Scarborough Historical Museum (Thomson Memorial Park)
"Mother to 37 children" - Wow!

motherto37children-Wow.jpg

Back