Rotterdam I
Rotterdam II
Paris I
Paris II
Paris III
London I
London II

Here's Amsterdam II...

This is the Anne Frankhuis. No photos were allowed inside. The Frank's home is basically protected inside the newer structure.
DSCN1291.jpg

...but of course, another canal shot.
DSCN1293.jpg

On one of the days we rented bikes and with no grand plan just started riding with the flow. This is in Vondelpark (sort of Amsterdam's Central/Hyde Park).
DSCN1438.jpg

During the ride we stumbled upon the stadium from when Amsterdam hosted the summer olympics in 1928.
DSCN1442.jpg

Another shot of the Olympisch Stadion.
DSCN1443.jpg

We also stumbled upon ING's headquarters (which we secretly had hoped to anyway).
DSCN1444.jpg

It was designed by Roberto Meyer of Meyer en Van Schooten architects.
DSCN1445.jpg

ING H.Q. (cont.)
DSCN1446.jpg

ING H.Q. (cont.)
DSCN1447.jpg

We could see big buildings in the distance...so ahoy!
DSCN1448.jpg

Some buildings at the Vrije Universiteit.
DSCN1451.jpg

Vrije Universiteit (cont).
DSCN1452.jpg

Biking infrastructure is truly everywhere. Not a single street in this city doesn't consider the cyclist.
DSCN1453.jpg

We then found ourselves in the Zuid WTC (World Trade Centre) area of Amsterdam. It's sort of an urban office park similar in ilk to Canary Wharf or La Défense.
DSCN1454.jpg

The Zuid WTC station (under and behind the motorway) is served by two Amsterdam Metro lines, and is the terminal station of the new North/South Line being constructed. It also is served by a tram line, regional rail and ample bike parking.
DSCN1455.jpg

This is the Mahler 4 Viñoly and was completed last year.
DSCN1456.jpg

This is the ABN Ambro World H.Q. and was completed in 1999.
DSCN1457.jpg

Mahler 4 Viñoly (cont.)
DSCN1458.jpg

Another WTC building...
DSCN1459.jpg

Mahler 4 Viñoly (cont.)
DSCN1460.jpg

A pomo-ish WTC building...
DSCN1461.jpg

Mahler 4 Viñoly, ABN Ambro H.Q., etc.
DSCN1462.jpg

WTC H Toren.
DSCN1463.jpg

A colourful section of Mahler 4 Viñoly.
DSCN1464.jpg

Mahler 4 Viñoly (cont.)
DSCN1496.jpg

Ito-Toren and Mahler 4 Viñoly.
DSCN1497.jpg

ABN Ambro H.Q. (cont.)
DSCN1498.jpg

Another WTC-area building.
DSCN1499.jpg

Kempen & Co building at WTC.
DSCN1500.jpg

Not right in the WTC, but close, was this colourful and modular project (still under construction).
DSCN1465.jpg

This building is called "The Waag" and it sits in the Nieuwmarkt area of the city. It was built as the eastern gate in the city's defences.
DSCN1467.jpg

A few days later we headed back to ARCAM, but it was closed yet again (to change exhibits). We were very disappointed.
DSCN1468.jpg

De Gooyer Windmill was the only old-school windmill we saw while in Holland.
DSCN1469.jpg

Multi-story bike parking near Centraal Station.
DSCN1471.jpg

De Poozenboot! Basically, a boat full of cats! Strays are given refuge on this boat which has become an unexpected tourist attraction.
DSCN1472.jpg

No explanation required.
DSCN1474.jpg

Our hanseatic hostel in the Jordaan area of the city. It was actually built in 1644!
DSCN1480.jpg

Our hostel was on the the Bloemgracht canal.
DSCN1481.jpg

Even though the Jordaan wasn't a particularly gay neighbourhood, it did house both the Homomonument and this gay info point.
DSCN1482.jpg

And then a ride on the Metro out to Diemen Zuid where we'd spend a night with a friend who is currently living in suburban Amsterdam.
DSCN1483.jpg

Honestly, Amsterdam's Metro is probably the worst subway system I've ever rode on. Luckily, most of the city is very attainable via the tram network.
DSCN1484.jpg

Shots from Spaklerweg Metro station.
DSCN1485.jpg

Shots from Spaklerweg Metro station. (cont.)
DSCN1486.jpg

DSCN1487.jpg

DSCN1488.jpg

DSCN1489.jpg

Here's a view from our friend's balcony of Dutch suburbia!
DSCN1491.jpg

Some office towers in the distance.
DSCN1492.jpg

Same nabe by day.
DSCN1495.jpg

And that's a wrap on Amsterdam. Stay tuned for Rotterdam, Paris and London!

Thanks for the tour. Amsterdam is such a wonderful city--other than Barcelona, I find it the most generallt civilized place in Europe if not the world.

But one thing about it gets to me--that the Dutch, like Canadians, are fantastic at doing small-scale urban, but absolutely suck at grand public spaces. Many of the canals and side streets in Amsterdam are some of the most beautiful fine-grained urban spaces on the planet, but by comparison the big squares, like Dam Square and major streets like the Damrak and Rokin are actually rather ugly. As in Toronto (a city that has more in common with Amsterdam than you might think), the genius and soul of A'dam is in the small stuff.

Excellent point.

When I first saw Dam Square I felt like I had stepped into an Eastern Bloc square sometime around 1980. Very cold and inhuman.

the Dutch, like Canadians, are fantastic at doing small-scale urban, but absolutely suck at grand public spaces

Leave that to the French, as you will soon see in our Paris photos!

The Germans do it well, too. Pariser Platz in Berlin is pretty gorge.

Great pics, I am loving that Mahler 4 Vinoly.
The WTC Area will continue developping over the next few years, as it will get an impuls when the new High Speed Line (HSL) to Paris is completed. With this line, travel time to Paris will be reduced with 30 minutes, compared to the current highspeed trains.
BTW, did you know that the ING Headquarters is also referred to as ' the boat ' because of its boat-like shape?

The feeling that the Dutch suck at creating public spaces is shared here, the subject sometimes comes up at the Holland Skyscraper forum @ SSC.
I agree that Germans make fine public spaces. 'Why can't we have those in Holland' is going through many a visiting Dutchman's mind when travelling through Europe.

But hey, that said, I would take a house on Prinsengracht over an apartment on Friedrichstrasse any day of the week. Gotta love Amsterdam.

I once heard Toronto described as a weird combo of Amsterdam and LA. I wonder how true that is. Fantastic photos, guys. That must be the best city of under 1 million in the world.

^^I think its vienna or prague or some other central european capital, but not amsterdam

Secondly, I think Amsterdam has probably the best bike accomodation in the world. In Shanghai, in one of the other bike dependent countries, I saw a subway station with bikes propped against trees, walls, with kickstands, etc but no bike stands! The entire plaza near the station was flooded this way yet no one put up a single bike accomodation.

Third, I love how there is traffic congestion on the water (not really, but relatively)

I once heard Toronto described as a weird combo of Amsterdam and LA. I wonder how true that is. Fantastic photos, guys. That must be the best city of under 1 million in the world.

I once heard it described as a combination of London and New York.

This city is a lot more unique than people give it credit for...

Great shots of Amsterdam...one place I definitely have to visit.

That must be the best city of under 1 million in the world.

Ditto that. I loved the people-friendly scale of the city. Very charming.

One must-do in Amsterdam is renting a paddle boat on the canals. You pay 15 Euro or something for an hour, and then have the run of the city. They just tell you not to go on the Ij (ie the North Sea) and otherwise you're on your own. It's great fun.

Back