739     0 

Etobicoke Liberal riding president throws support to Tory

B

blixa442

Etobicoke Liberal riding president throws support to Tory
Jan. 20, 2006. 03:44 PM
ROB FERGUSON
QUEEN'S PARK BUREAU

In a last-minute blow to high-profile Liberal candidate Michael Ignatieff, the president of the party’s riding association in Etobicoke-Lakeshore swung his support today to Conservative rival John Capobianco in Monday’s federal election.
The controversial process by which Ignatieff was acclaimed the candidate over local hopefuls ruled ineligible by the party was a major factor in the decision, said Ron Chyczij, who had hoped to contest the nomination himself.

“I can no longer in good conscience support the Liberal candidate in this riding,†he said in a statement released this afternoon.

“After the nomination fiasco, I’ve purposely waited on the sidelines to see if Michael Ignatieff can in some way redeem himself as a credible Liberal candidate in this riding . . . this has not happened.â€

The move comes in what is believed to be a tight race in the riding, held for 12 years by Liberal MP Jean Augustine, who is retiring.

Chyczij also resigned as president of the riding association and said the “last straw†leading to his decision was controversy about the views of Ignatieff, a former human rights professor at Harvard University, on the Iraq war, torture and ethnic groups.

Ignatieff, the author of 16 books, supported the U.S.-led Iraq war but has vigourously denied charges his writings support torture of suspects in the war on terror and have slandered ethnic groups, including Ukrainians.

Liberal officials and Capobianco’s campaign could not immediately be reached for comment.

Ukrainians make up about 7 per cent of the riding, but the Liberal riding association was dominated by Ukrainians after a split with Augustine.

Chyczij also slammed Ignatieff for making the cleanup of the riding’s polluted lakefront his top priority, saying the Liberal government has done little on the issue for the last 12 years.

“The Conservatives are the only major party on record to openly declare that they would end the practice of ‘parachuting’ candidates,†Chyczij said.

“This together with their platform on an elected Senate, fixed terms and free votes in Parliament I think are very appealing and go a long way in addressing my concerns.â€

Chyczij also paid tribute to NDP candidate Liam McHugh-Russell, saying he and Capobianco “both have a clearer impression of what is important to the residents of this riding.â€

“I urge voters to cast their ballot strategically in this election to ensure that Michael Ignatieff, the touted heir apparent to Paul Martin, gets a time-out to reconsider his future political ambitions in this country.â€

Toronto-born Ignatieff left his job at Harvard University near Boston in mid-December to run in the election and teach at the University of Toronto after being out of the country for almost 30 years.

He bought a condominium near the university last year; he does not live in the riding.

Re: Liberal riding president throws support to Tory

Wow, a liberal who sees the corruption in his party and tells people not to vote for it. It's like an early sign of election day.

Back