414     0 
News   Jul 15, 2024
 541     0 

Etobicoke Centennial Park - Updated Masterplan

Northern Light

Superstar
Member Bio
Reaction score
The City recently completely a 'refresh' of the Masteplan for this massive park in the City's far west end.

In general the plan will see the shutdown of the ski hill; additional naturalization, better access to the pond, a district/regional playground, a new leisure skating trail and a cafe.

Link to the City's site: https://www.toronto.ca/city-governm...plans-strategies/centennial-park-master-plan/

Maps and Renders from same:

1621512339615.png

1621512715348.png

1621512359018.png

1621512378334.png

1621512402106.png

1621512436784.png

1621512456970.png

1621512479174.png

1621512500652.png

1621512544538.png

1621512566177.png

1621512587503.png

1621512617335.png

1621512633473.png

1621512656335.png

^Centennial Park is an interesting challenge because it’s a collection of popular and well used recreational venues, but not necessarily supportive of a natural area. When you have so many venues that bring large numbers of people at a time (many team sports, for instance - a new horde of players and parents changing out every hour or two) there will be traffic issues etc. The layout isn’t really condusive to a “spend the afternoon in the park” activity as say High Park allows.

The thing that caught my eye most was a lack of focus on connections to the Park. That may have been out of scope for the study.... but considering how close it will sit to a major transit corridor, I would have expected that connectivity to take more weight. And, while bicycle paths are being emphasised within the park, the bike path network to reach the park is still a bit disjointed and roundabout. I wonder if a Six Points - Centennial Park direct cycling route would improve access, especially with the focus on Six Points as a housing/city center area that would be improved by connectivity to such a large park..

I noticed a label reading “Additional Parking”, and that kind of told the story for me.

I do use Centennial Park myself ( and have since it opened, I’m old enough to remember walking to school with the odour of the a-building garbage hill in the air, and playing pond hockey in the empty fields) and the changes certainly sound appealing. But the plan seems to fall short of a “destination attraction”, more a collection of specific use amenities. Maybe that’s quite appropriate.

- Paul

^Centennial Park is an interesting challenge because it’s a collection of popular and well used recreational venues, but not necessarily supportive of a natural area. When you have so many venues that bring large numbers of people at a time (many team sports, for instance - a new horde of players and parents changing out every hour or two) there will be traffic issues etc. The layout isn’t really condusive to a “spend the afternoon in the park” activity as say High Park allows.

The thing that caught my eye most was a lack of focus on connections to the Park. That may have been out of scope for the study.... but considering how close it will sit to a major transit corridor, I would have expected that connectivity to take more weight. And, while bicycle paths are being emphasised within the park, the bike path network to reach the park is still a bit disjointed and roundabout. I wonder if a Six Points - Centennial Park direct cycling route would improve access, especially with the focus on Six Points as a housing/city center area that would be improved by connectivity to such a large park..

I noticed a label reading “Additional Parking”, and that kind of told the story for me.

I do use Centennial Park myself ( and have since it opened, I’m old enough to remember walking to school with the odour of the a-building garbage hill in the air, and playing pond hockey in the empty fields) and the changes certainly sound appealing. But the plan seems to fall short of a “destination attraction”, more a collection of specific use amenities. Maybe that’s quite appropriate.

- Paul

In respect of nature and bike paths.........

The Etobicoke Creek Watershed Plan is up for renewal over the next 2 years.

There will be an opportunity there to look both natural heritage and bike path connectivity.

Any connectivity outside of the park itself (or the valley lands) will fall to Transportation to plan.

No tennis courts?? Why?

The skating trail should also have a narrow path going through the woods.

The rest of the plan is fine, but as seems to regularly be the case in Toronto, falls quite a bit short of what it should be.

they should also get rid of the very slow go karts lol.. , with all the new developments in Toronto we need more green space

Also, what's the point in no-fun Slow Karts?

When I was fairly little, I went out to Family Kartways, just north of Whitby.......I'd guess.....10yrs old.......and I started on 40km/ph 'adult' Karts...............

By the time I was mid-teens, I'd tried on racing Karts........which could do 80km/ph..........on a straight-away....just a few CM off the ground.....

Now that was fun!

Which is why, in my 20's I went rafting down 'Class 5' rapids on the Ottawa River..............; then Skydiving.

What is it the kids say???? YOLO? (you only live once)..........might as well have some fun while you're here; and Slow Karts ain't it.

Last edited:
I have a suspicion that the City gets revenue from those Go-Karts, which implies there's demand.... and as long as that demand exists, even if it comes from boring, risk-averse folks.....the track will remain.

My comments about Centennial being a collection of amenities as opposed to a green space was in that vein. Some people really would rather inhale fumes than watch birds, and the purpose of a City park is to cater to all tastes, even if personally I would rather see Centennial come closer to High Park 2.0 or Toronto Islands 2.0....or even Sam Smith or Humber Bay....

I don't like the suburban/downtown divide implied in where this is heading, but that may be my bias, and maybe having Fordfest at Humber Bay or on the Toronto Islands is "pearls before the barnyard" anyways. I do think the plan raises the quality of the park, perhaps not as well as I'd hope for.

- Paul

I have a suspicion that the City gets revenue from those Go-Karts, which implies there's demand.... and as long as that demand exists, even if it comes from boring, risk-averse folks.....the track will remain.

There is revenue, the City has a commercial partnership w/the operator.

My comments about Centennial being a collection of amenities as opposed to a green space was in that vein. Some people really would rather inhale fumes than watch birds, and the purpose of a City park is to cater to all tastes

Well, I think we're going to have to disagree on this. I'm pro Go Karts........but I'm anti them being in City Parks. GO Karts are a commercial activity run by commercial operators; no different than Canada's Wonderland.

The City is at the very least under no obligation to permit or facilitate every taste.

Some people might prefer a shopping mall; or a roller coaster park; these are fine things, arguably; but they don't belong in City parkland.

I would therefore go futher, and say the City may have an obligation to keep those things out.

Public parks need not be exclusively about nature; much as I enjoy it; but I would argue they really tie to three purposes, nature, large outdoor gatherings, and outdoor sports/athletics.

Go Karts are none of these.

Certainly, like a cafe, we could discuss if such a use is ancillary in nature. I personally think that's a stretch.

I don't like the suburban/downtown divide implied in where this is heading, but that may be my bias, and maybe having Fordfest at Humber Bay or on the Toronto Islands is "pearls before the barnyard" anyways. I do think the plan raises the quality of the park, perhaps not as well as I'd hope for.

- Paul

I'm not sure what urban/suburban has to do with GO Karts.

FWIW, I just asked someone in Parks and was told that the intent is phase out several things, including the Karts.

Note that the renders above showing proposed usage, show the Karts removed.

There is revenue, the City has a commercial partnership w/the operator.

Well, I think we're going to have to disagree on this. I'm pro Go Karts........but I'm anti them being in City Parks. GO Karts are a commercial activity run by commercial operators; no different than Canada's Wonderland.

The City is at the very least under no obligation to permit or facilitate every taste.

Some people might prefer a shopping mall; or a roller coaster park; these are fine things, arguably; but they don't belong in City parkland.

I would therefore go futher, and say the City may have an obligation to keep those things out.

Public parks need not be exclusively about nature; much as I enjoy it; but I would argue they really tie to three purposes, nature, large outdoor gatherings, and outdoor sports/athletics.

Go Karts are none of these.

Certainly, like a cafe, we could discuss if such a use is ancillary in nature. I personally think that's a stretch.

I'm not sure what urban/suburban has to do with GO Karts.

FWIW, I just asked someone in Parks and was told that the intent is phase out several things, including the Karts.

Note that the renders above showing proposed usage, show the Karts removed.

Go Karts but not tennis courts - pushaw!!

As a local resident, I'm concerned about the loss of the fast pitch (softball) diamonds. It's great that they'll move to a central location baseball diamonds, however, they cannot be used for fast pitch if they have pitching mounds. Right now, there are three diamonds that are used for local girls' fast pitch - I fear that these amenities and opportunities for sport for girls will be taken away and our girls left with fewer options to play. I sat in the original presentation for the park update and brought this up - the response from the city was very underwhelming (they didn't understand the different needs in diamonds, i.e. pitching mounds).

The final version of this plan is up for approval at the next Infrastructure and Environment Ctte meeting on October 26, 2021.

I won't repeat all the renders, which are mostly similar to those posted above.

But there are a few tweaks and details that are interesting.

(excuse my immodesty, but I may have had something to do w/some of these changes)

- Prioritizing upgrading area roads to include sidewalks on both sides of the road to improve the safe, accessible nature of the park for non-drivers.
- Upgrade the Park roads to have either cycle tracks and sidewalk/path, or multi-use trail separated from them with enhanced crossing safety
- Most parking lots to be upgraded with more trees, swales and permeable paving.
- Several sections of creek to be daylighted.

The intro to the new plan is here: (provides you all the links to various reports)

The main implementation report is here:

Just a couple of images/details to highlight:

1634655495928.png

1634655584222.png

1634655622803.png

1634655653575.png

1634655746910.png

1634655807160.png

1634655845865.png

There's a bunch more stuff if you follow the links.

I want to take a moment to laud the consultants on this project.

I'm often hard on consultants the City hires, with just cause.

This team listened, and had a sound mix of ambition and pragmatism to be applauded.

1634655974015.png

Those are important improvements over the original. All in all, Centennial Park is getting a major upgrade!

* quick note about that, I've been around for awhile...............rarely do Masterplans of this scale get fully implemented.
They're too expensive and disruptive to deliver all at once, so they are done 1-2 projects at a time over many years...........
But invariably political, public and staff interest wanes and a new shiny idea comes to the fore before everything from the last plan is done.

All of which is to say, push hard for the things you like in the plan, projects that make it into the 10-year capital plan within 2-3 years will likely be delivered..........the rest......well.........maybe next time.

Last edited:
BlogTO and The Star alike are falling for this Climate Change business when it comes to the Centennial Park ski hill. I find it quite amusing. Not to say Toronto hasn't seen a bit less snow than it used to in recent years.......but yah.

For the record PF&R have wanted out of the Skiing business for at least a decade, if not two.........

The fact that the infrastructure is falling to bits and there have been some issues w/the slope are providing quality cover for closing the facility.

The fact they've sold the local Councillor on the move is the cherry-on-top.

I happen to think its a reasonable call.

The cost to fix/replace everything would be in the many millions............. be that as it may..........

It's kind of sad to see the ski hills close. I had so many great memories there as a kid, and the skiing instructors were great! Sadly, climate change is real.

Back