News   Oct 01, 2024
 1.3K     1 
News   Oct 01, 2024
 601     0 
News   Oct 01, 2024
 975     2 

Ethnic diversity of Toronto vs. elected representatives

But I agree with the above - if a representative is doing a good job for their community, it shouldn't matter what race/colour they are.
But that's just it, Toronto's representatives are not doing a good job. For example, why aren't Toronto's MPs and MPPs doing anything to push for fixing the fiscal imbalance with senior levels of government?

As mentioned already, there is no shortage of Italian-origin politicians, and we are now seeing more Portuguese, Greeks, etc.
What do we consider white anyway? Certainly those listed above are white, IMO.

In Cabbagetown where I live, I'd say 99% of the residents are white, same for the Beach(es) where I spent my highschool years and the Danforth where I had my first apartment. I'd say most of the non-white residents of the GTA live outside of the Toronto city boundaries.

But that's just it, Toronto's representatives are not doing a good job. For example, why aren't Toronto's MPs and MPPs doing anything to push for fixing the fiscal imbalance with senior levels of government?
It's a democracy, if the city wants more diverse reps, it'll put them forward for election and vote for them.

I suspect that most immigrants from the developing world have a justified distrust of politicians, and have little inclination to join their ranks. Instead, they're building businesses. Of course, that's always been the case, that only lawyers and other snakes go into politics, while the rest of us work in the private sector, or for the snakes' bureaucracy.

I think it's shameful that our government, which is always talking about equal opportunity, fails to reflect the ethnic make up of our city.

Whose fault is this? The government? No it's not the governments responsibility to ensure that the legislature proportionally represents the city's diveristy...instead its the electorate....voters have the choice, and if the candidates from which they chose do not reflect the diveristy they expect, they should encourage other people to run.

I imagine there are those that believe that the ridings or seats on council be rigged so to ensure forced representation of diversity.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Demographics_of_Toronto

Ethnic group Population %
Visible minorities * 1,051,125 42.8
* composed of: Chinese 259,709 10.6
South Asian 253,921 10.3
Black Canadian 204,075 8.3
Filipino 86,460 3.5
Latin American 54,350 2.2
West Asian 37,205 1.5
Southeast Asian 33,870 1.4
Korean 29,755 1.2
Arab 22,355 0.9
Japanese 11,595 0.5
Other minorities 37,985 1.5
White (Non-Hispanic) 1,405,680 57.2
Total 2,456,805 100

I've never understood why only non-hispanic whites are considered whites. Anyway, taking the above as gospel, 57.2% of the seats on council should be held by whites, 10.6% by Chinese and so on.... Of course, we also need to subdivide this by forcing representation of seats by gender and sexual orientation (taking into account that some ethnic groups may have less openly gay members). Then there's those who would claim discrimination by age or handicap, so you'll need mandatory seats for old folks and young folks and those in wheel chairs or suffering from other such challenges.

Once you start to rig who can be elected, it's hard to control.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Demographics_of_Toronto

Ethnic group Population %
Visible minorities * 1,051,125 42.8
* composed of: Chinese 259,709 10.6
South Asian 253,921 10.3
Black Canadian 204,075 8.3
Filipino 86,460 3.5
Latin American 54,350 2.2
West Asian 37,205 1.5
Southeast Asian 33,870 1.4
Korean 29,755 1.2
Arab 22,355 0.9
Japanese 11,595 0.5
Other minorities 37,985 1.5
White (Non-Hispanic) 1,405,680 57.2
Total 2,456,805 100

There is no way those stats are accurate. First of all, at least 350,000 people of colour have settled in Toronto since this census, the other 350,000 having settled in the rest of the GTA. There has also been some white flight from Toronto to other communities in Ontario and elsewhere. Not to mention counting error. How many people in communities like Jane and Finch bother to participate in the census? My guess is not very many. When you live in an impoverished, crime ridden area, spending your time filling out a census would likely be the least of your priorities. The fact is that whites in Toronto are just over one third of the population, yet constitute more than 90% of the politicians representing the city at the munipal, provincial and federal levels. I guess the message is that non whites are not welcome in the political realm.

2006 visible monority census data for census metropolitan areas will not be released until April 2, 2008. In the interim, the best we can do is look at the numbers from the 2001 census, and they are the following re: visible minorities for the City of Toronto (*not* the GTA):

Total population by visible minority groups

Toronto, City

Total: 1,051,125 out of a total population of 2,456,805, giving us about 43% vizmin in Toronto.

Those are the numbers, like it or not. There may be some undercounting, but statscan accounts for this in their estimates, which are updated yearly, but they don't tend to deviate to the extent you seem to want them to. And without knowing what the 2001-2006 figures are yet, that 350,000 figure you have was pulled straight out of your race baiting ass.

that 350,000 figure you have was pulled straight out of your race baiting ass.
Let's see. Regardless of what the real number is, it is clear that Toronto's ethnic mosaic is not reflected in the city's elected representatives. Toronto's councilors, MPPs and MPs are overwhelmingly white in a city where whites are becoming the minority (assuming they aren't already). In South Africa, you have traditionally had a similar situation in which whites are the minority, yet hold almost all of the political power. Is it wrong of me to suggest that it would be nice if our elected officials more accurately reflected the mosaic of Toronto? How exactly does this constitute race baiting? Are people who advocate for having more women in elected office to better reflect the population gender baiting?

There is no way those stats are accurate.

Fine, take it up with Statistics Canada.

First of all, at least 350,000 people of colour have settled in Toronto since this census...

Wrong again! The population of Toronto essentially stagnated since the last census. As such, this statement is only correct if 350,000 white people moved out or died, and were replaced exclusively by 350,000 so called people of colour. Somehow I doubt that happened.

Toronto is a multicultural city in that just about all possible cultures are represented here. Also, most agree that our elected officials do not represent the complete ethnic make up of this city. But if you want to communicate this effectively, don't just spit out random numbers and justify your points by saying, in effect, "just because". Most people agree with you, however you're only being attacked because by mis stating facts you come across as unreliable, and therefore wrong.

Seriously man, focus on the real issues faced by this city, and decide whether or not our existing elected officials are doing a good job, and if not, whether that's due to their race.

3cp1, here's the best thing you can do if this issue concerns you so greatly...

Are you 'non-white', a Canadian citizen, and the age of majority?
If so run in the next election.
If not, find someone who meets your criteria and support them with donations, time, and canvassing.

In Cabbagetown where I live, I'd say 99% of the residents are white, same for the Beach(es) where I spent my highschool years and the Danforth where I had my first apartment.
Given the increasing occurance of "blended" families, I'd say 99% is highballing it. But yes, 99% "might as well" be white, i.e. culturally...

I have a solution.

Take 1 out of every 100000 new immigrants that come off the boat and put them directly in an MPP or MP role. What a stupid issue.

Heres an idea. Why don't those groups that feel under represented do like the chinese. Organize themselves. Oh wait, too much work. Its better to complain and do nothing, and hope everything is given to them, like the free health care. And I am pointing at immigrants because its not the first time hearing about this such issue. Its not a 2nd generation issue so much because of the integration of being born and raised in CDN society.

If immigrant groups like 'XXXXXXX' feel that they are left out and Canada is only using them to open restaurants, then do it yourself, there are enough concentrations out their for them to do it. Its a free society, and you have the numbers, its your own fault for being 'left out' if your not doing anything to organize.

Heres an idea. Why don't those groups that feel under represented do like the chinese. Organize themselves. Oh wait, too much work. Its better to complain and do nothing.
But immigrants by and large are not complaining. Most don't care who their representatives are, nor have little interest in joining their ranks. Ask the average immigrant and he'll say he hopes his children will become doctors, bankers, scientists, engineers, dentists, and a whole host of professions. None are saying theu hope their kid will become a politician, since where come from a politician is usually a corrupt snake.

Back